• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Rejection: How to Appeal? [Merged]

Sir Robert Peel said:
I was just wondering what the average wait time is for a reply from Ottawa regarding medical clearance.

Usually, anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Hello, just a little update - so I had LASIK Advanced Wavefront done about a week ago(one of the accepted procedures according to the med tech I emailed).  So far my vision is just as good, if not better, than when I had glasses on.  Anyways I contacted the med tech from the Toronto Recruiting office and informed him of my surgery.  He said I would have to wait 5 months before I can ask for the paperwork that is required to re-open my application.  One thing that concerns me is that 5 months from now would be a year since I did my Physical Fitness Test.  Would there be a slight chance that I might have to do the PT again?  Thanks again for all your advice.

TJC said:
Hello, just a little update - so I had LASIK Advanced Wavefront done about a week ago(one of the accepted procedures according to the med tech I emailed).  So far my vision is just as good, if not better, than when I had glasses on.  Anyways I contacted the med tech from the Toronto Recruiting office and informed him of my surgery.  He said I would have to wait 5 months before I can ask for the paperwork that is required to re-open my application.  One thing that concerns me is that 5 months from now would be a year since I did my Physical Fitness Test.  Would there be a slight chance that I might have to do the PT again?  Thanks again for all your advice.

Yes, you will most likely have to do the FORCE Test over again as those results are only valid for 12 months.

DAA said:
Usually, anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Is once you submit the info or the 4-8 weeks starts once it gets there? I'm wondering as well because I submitted my files on September 10th 2015 and they went through to Fredericton then to Ottawa and then to Borden. Last information I got was that my file is being reviewed by the RMO in Borden Ontario and left in transit for Borden on November 9th 2015.

Banksmj01 said:
Is once you submit the info or the 4-8 weeks starts once it gets there? I'm wondering as well because I submitted my files on September 10th 2015 and they went through to Fredericton then to Ottawa and then to Borden. Last information I got was that my file is being reviewed by the RMO in Borden Ontario and left in transit for Borden on November 9th 2015.

4-8 weeks for someone in "perfect" health.  If you have been asked for additional information during your medical, the process can take from 4-8 months.

DAA said:
4-8 weeks for someone in "perfect" health.  If you have been asked for additional information during your medical, the process can take from 4-8 months.

Thanks for this information. Hopefully these timings change soon.  The long wait times have caused and continue to cause the C.F. to lose good candidates.

enquiring about the third step in the medical - medical file review.

-is it a review of the medical questionnaire  + evaluation of the medical examination given by the physician? or

-is it a review of your private medical records (ie: family DR records, hospitalization records, Health Canada records, Prescriptions, Imaging, etc.)?

-should i start a medical file release form or will I be required to sign a release at the examination?
                ie:  http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/forms/2942fil.pdf  (should i have applied for this already?)

I don't want anymore unnecessary delays, Once i finished my aptitude testing and filling out the security forms I was delayed several times. It could have all been avoided or reduced if I knew what was needed instead of finding out 1 after the other.

-1st delay was 6 week wait for ICES (international creditational evaluation services) to convert my US degree.

-then after they recieved My ICES evaluation they needed an FBI background check which took 8 weeks. ( this could have been done this at the same time as the ICES)

-my pre-security interview is in a few days and then my medical. I am anxious to get going and want to be prepared and ready instead of finding out that there's something I could have had prepared but didn't and will now take more time.

Thanks ahead for any replies, and yes i searched it out but there were many vague, or overly specific questions previously asked.

romeosierra said:
enquiring about the third step in the medical - medical file review.
-is it a review of the medical questionnaire  + evaluation of the medical examination given by the physician? or
-is it a review of your private medical records (ie: family DR records, hospitalization records, Health Canada records, Prescriptions, Imaging, etc.)?
-should i start a medical file release form or will I be required to sign a release at the examination?
ie:  http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/forms/2942fil.pdf  (should i have applied for this already?)

I don't want anymore unnecessary delays, Once i finished my aptitude testing and filling out the security forms I was delayed several times. It could have all been avoided or reduced if I knew what was needed instead of finding out 1 after the other.
-1st delay was 6 week wait for ICES (international creditational evaluation services) to convert my US degree.
-then after they recieved My ICES evaluation they needed an FBI background check which took 8 weeks. ( this could have been done this at the same time as the ICES)
-my pre-security interview is in a few days and then my medical. I am anxious to get going and want to be prepared and ready instead of finding out that there's something I could have had prepared but didn't and will now take more time.
Thanks ahead for any replies, and yes i searched it out but there were many vague, or overly specific questions previously asked.

The medical file review is as you mentioned in your first comment, which was the medical conducted by your local CFRC and is "a review of the medical questionnaire  + evaluation of the medical examination given by the physician".  There is no requirement for you to provide any type of "medical release of information" forms.

The delays which you have experienced so far, are a normal part of the processing.  You must first be found "eligible" to apply for the occupations which you have chosen and to do this, they need your academic information.  All academic qualifications obtained outside Canada will normally require an Education Credential Assessment.  They aren't going to ask you for the FBI Check, until you have been found eligible.

Usually, they won't schedule any further processing until the Pre-Sec has been completed.    Good luck!

thanks for the timely responses, I just wanted to make sure I was fully prepared and have all my ducks in a row. I'm quite excited to get started.

I attempted to enroll a while ago and after doing the fitness test, interview and all that I was rejected due to a mild shrimp allergy. I thought this was strange as the allergy is mild and non-fatal so I appealed it, seeing a civilian doctor who wrote me a letter stating that it shouldn't interfere with service. This was also rejected. I know some people who were accepted in the forces with more severe, and more likely to encounter, allergies. This seems strange to reject me on this basis along, and my appeal has failed. DO I have any other options?

ghkl said:
DO I have any other options?

This may help,

Challenging a medical decision/Requesting second review 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/37404.25
2 pages.

For future reference, perhaps these discussions will be merged.

See also,

appealing medical rejection for renal colic 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/119953.0

Medical appeal 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/68680.0

etc...

But I have appealed it already and it was rejected again. I'm just finding it strange for me, with a mild allergy with almost zero exposure rate, to be rejected when others with more severe medical issues and allergies have been accepted.

ghkl said:
I was rejected due to a mild shrimp allergy. I thought this was strange as the allergy is mild and non-fatal so I appealed it, seeing a civilian doctor who wrote me a letter stating that it shouldn't interfere with service. This was also rejected. I know some people who were accepted in the forces with more severe, and more likely to encounter, allergies.

ghkl said:
I'm just finding it strange for me, with a mild allergy with almost zero exposure rate, to be rejected when others with more severe medical issues and allergies have been accepted.

You may find this discussion of interest,

Recruiting > Allergies in the CF 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12898.250
11 pages.

As always,  your most trusted source of information is Recruiting.

Hello, so i was just wondering how long the medical takes approx. if i habe perfect health... i had had my medical last monday. Another question is i have had my interveiw back on the 21st and i was just wonder how long in approx takes more the background check to be done. thank you so much.

i am hoping to make the basic training date in march.

Before this topic (likely) gets locked, a few points for you:

- Search the forum, all of these questions are answered, and there are plenty of application process examples.
- Background check will probably take at least a couple of weeks, or more. But there is no one right answer to this. It depends.
- You are unlikely to make BMQ in March, though anything is possible in the recruiting world. It has nothing to do with having perfect health. Applications usually take at least several months, dependent on many factors. But it's all good, stick it out and you'll get it in due time.
- Check your grammar, make an effort to write professionally.
- Welcome to the forum. Good luck.

hoping.for.the.best said:
Hello, so i was just wondering how long the medical takes approx. if i habe perfect health... i had had my medical last monday. Another question is i have had my interveiw back on the 21st and i was just wonder how long in approx takes more the background check to be done.

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/81054.0

hoping.for.the.best said:
Hello, so i was just wondering how long the medical takes approx. if i habe perfect health... i had had my medical last monday. Another question is i have had my interveiw back on the 21st and i was just wonder how long in approx takes more the background check to be done. thank you so much.

i am hoping to make the basic training date in march.

Once the medical is completed and at the current time, the results will take 6-8 weeks (minimum) before they are returned to your CFRC.  Once they have been returned and "if" your medical was approved, then the background checks start, which will take another 4-6 weeks to complete.

If your processing is successful, you'd be lucky to get a job offer in early May.

Back