• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

Well I haven't heard from anyone in a while, so I figured I would ask where everyone is in the process.  Are there any road blocks or updates anyone can share that we should know about?

Hey there, first of all, sorry for my english I am from Quebec Canada. I have a question for you. I just completed my first year out of 3, in quebec to be a paramedic. I am starting my 2nd year in september.

I am in the process of joining the forces maybe in January (as the next QMB) here in Quebec. Do you think I should definetely apply as unskilled med tech.. or wait in 2 years and apply as a med tech who already have done his paramedic class? In both cases, I need to do my QL3 .. but if I dont finish my school and do my QMB this winter, I will have to wait a year or so to get on next QL3 and then go to New Brunswick or BC to get the paramedic class but its only 3-6 months.. not like my 3 years in Quebec..

So what should I do guys? Complete my degree and re-apply as a med tech?

I also been told that if I apply unskilled, after  QL3, QL5 I will be able to be paramedic as civilian if one day my mind change.

Thank you!

Although it is being worked on to shorten the wait times, no matter when you apply and get in, there is currently a roughly one-year wait from the time you graduate your BMQ to when you start your QL3.
It could also take many months, possibly more than a year, before you are accepted into the Forces. You may have time to finish your civvy course. Your best bet is to talk to a recruiter.
Also BMQ is offered year round, so just because you apply now is no guarantee you will be on the January one.
The Paramedic course in French is 6 months long. It is given at College Ahuntsic.  Before that you have your clinical phase and after that the field phase. All in all it is about 11.5 months long.
Talk to a recruiter as they can give you a realistic timeline and how different decisions can affect your career.

Thank you, its a hard decision to take. Recruiters told me I have good chances to get in January .. or you never know maybe it will be at the end of my class.. but If I'm lucky and its january, I dont know which move to make

Do it. Submit your papers, take the CFAT, interview and medical test and if you get an offer see what your situation is at that time then take a decision.

Well.. you're probably in the same boat as the rest of us trying to get in.

Hello,
As a Veh Tech seriously considering VOT'ing to Med Tech I'm considering all the pros and cons. The ONE detail I can't find a specific reference to is sports, is there a particular Med Tech sport? EME seems to love golf, and hockey. I've seen how being a good hockey player can help the career of an otherwise mediocre tech. Friends of mine have astounded me with all the amazing courses they've been loaded on in the infantry, after they started rockclimbing. Is there a sport favored within Med Tech trade? I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard Med Techs go where combats arms go, and need to be in as good if not better shape than them. I've heard Med Techs have seem so many injuries from insane P/T, that when they exercise, it's in moderation. Do any current Med Techs have any thoughts on the matter?

I'm thinking of joining the CF as a medical technician but I've got a few questions. I saw on the forces website that medical technician is a purple trade, is the job any different depending on whether you're Navy, Army or Air Force? Another thing I noticed is that a medical technician I would be "on the battlefield". Does that mean I would have to carry a weapon and be expected to use it or would I just stay out of the way and help the wounded?

To answer your questions - Your uniform really is just what you wear to work...you can be Army and on a ship, Navy and on an Air base and Air Force in an Army unit.  As for carrying a weapon - yes you carry a weapon.  It's there to defend yourself, your team mates and your patients - you're kinda useless if you're wounded and your patients are often incapable of looking after themselves, so it's a necessary evil.

Hope that helps.

MM

Me on patrol, somewhere in Afghan.  No Security violations in posting this, it is on a poster somewhere.  Thank you Combat camera for coming on patrol with us, I really liked having my picture taken.  ::)

FYI I was a medic for 6.5 yrs.

Quick question... You have your 1st line pouch on your left side of your tac-vest. How easy it is to open it up while treating your patient who has MAR issues. I have it in front, attached to the gas mask loop and like it but sometimes jiggle while running and is somewhat annoying. Would like your input on that  ;D

Wheezer, I used to have mine set up the same way as you do. Have you tried wearing it as a leg beg? vice leaving it attached to your tac vest? It allows a lot of freedom, personally I don't mind having shit on my leg. Eventually we all find something that works for us.  :2c:

I get muscle fatigue rather quick when attached to the leg and not a huge fan of the sweat bath behind the leg pouch lol...

I'm planning on applying to the forces as a med tech, but don't know much about the occupational differences that would arise from choosing navy, army or air force. What roles and responsibilities come from each?  Are med techs more in demand in one or another? Since I'm interested in aero-medical evacuation should I choose air forces? And if there is any other information that you think would be relevant, I would appreciate if you could add that in, too.

Thank you,

Morgan

And less important but I'm still curious about it: would bilingualism make me more employable/deployable/etc? I'm functionally bilingual but don't have much of a medical vocabulary in French.  If I already hold a Primary Care Paramedic certificate from JIBC is there any chance that the forces would train me as a french-language medic at Ahuntsic College?

From what I've been told from active military personnel, med tech is a purple trade and can end up anywhere. On an Air Force base, ship or Army base. I was in the same boat when I applied a few months ago, but was told that no matter what you choose, you'll be put where they need you, and that the uniform colour doesn't matter.

Hope that helps.

::)

I am merging your questions with the threads that already exist asking the same redundant questions as you are asking, some of which are only one thread below the one that you started.

PLEASE READ FIRST before posting.

Medictb93 said:
From what I've been told from active military personnel, med tech is a purple trade and can end up anywhere. On an Air Force base, ship or Army base. I was in the same boat when I applied a few months ago, but was told that no matter what you choose, you'll be put where they need you, and that the uniform colour doesn't matter.

Hope that helps.

Great, that helps a lot thanks!  I see the reply from earlier now too.

mraemedic:

There is ABSOLUTELY no difference in training or job no matter what element you are. I am an airforce med tech and did all the army training. I am just as likely to go on ship or be at a field ambulance as I am to be at an air force base.

As for your bilingual question: if you hold a PCP license already, tell the recruiter up front. The forces will not pay for you to go to PCP college again if you already have the license... and you would be taking a spot away from a Francophone who already has to wait longer than an anglo for training. If you don't tell the recruiter, that could be deemed as lying on your recruitment, which could mean a release from the forces. Plus, why would you want to keep it a secret?? It shortens your training SUBSTANTIALLY, makes your QL3 phase easier and I have quite a few friends who go $10 000 recruitment bonuses for being semi-skilled (not sure if that is still a thing). Point here: just disclose the darn PCP license.

I am a bilingual anglophone med tech working at BFC Bagotville which is 100% French. Most medical terms are the same as English but with an accent. Being bilingual does make you more employable, and you could move up the ranks faster. However; you will have to be officially tested and given a public service language proficiency profile and meet the standard of BBB (reading, writing and oral) before you are considered bilingual. It is harder than you would think.

Inbox me if you have any further questions. 

Back