• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

medicineman said:
I got to travel lots...Calgary to Wainwright, Waniwright to Calgary (did those trips lots), Home to Sarcee, Sarcee to Home, Calgary to Suffield, Suffield to Calagary, Cornwallis, St Jean, Borden, Ottawa, Cold Lake, Whitehorse, 29 Palms, Pendleton, Croatia, Kingston, Fort Drum, Petawawa, Broughton Island, Gagetown, St John, Halifax, Montreal, Kabul via a number of places, Port au Prince, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Dauphin, Orangeville, Victoria, Eureka - the list is by no means complete, but I think you get the idea.

MM

What brought you to Orangeville?

Hi,
I am currently interested in enlisting as a Medical Technician, and would love to hear some day in the life stories of the job.  I want to know the day to day of a med techs life, not only deployed but also at home.  Also, how often do they get deployed, for how long, and is it possible to request to ask to be attached to a combat arms unit?  Also how does their pay scale work?  I have done research about the profession but would like a more intimate view from an enlisted member. Thank you all for your time, any answers can either be pm'ed to me or just written in the thread.
Sincerly,
Kevin

Did you do a search?  There's lots of info here.

P.S. We don't have "enlisted" members in Canada.

Occam said:
P.S. We don't have "enlisted" members in Canada.

Sure we do, everyone in the CF is enlisted (definition: to enroll, usually voluntarily, for military service)

We just don't use the term within the CF to describe our noncommissioned members.

Rider Pride said:
Sure we do, everyone in the CF is enlisted (definition: to enroll, usually voluntarily, for military service)

We just don't use the term within the CF to describe our noncommissioned members.

Which means "enlisted" is not used within the context of non-commissioned members in the CF, and use of the term "enlisted" would be incorrect here...

I am planning to start the wheels rolling for the Med-tech career - which according to the site is currently accepting applications. I am just hoping to get some info on what I can expect, what I can do to prepare; currently I am working on my first aid and CPR but would like to have a first responder cert before I am in. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

I will toss out some suggestions.

1) Get the ALL pre-reqs as found on the recruiting site.  Do well in them, especially the biology credit. This will help with selection.  It is now very competitive. If you do not have what we want (as advertised in black and white print) then you will not even get considered.

2) The CPR - Level C, First Responder, AED, etc are helpful.  Also consider a wilderness first aid course.  They give you some basic insight.

3) Get physically and mentally fit. Have your social scene squared away.

4) Take and anatomy / physiology / medical terminology course at college. It makes your application look good and will help on your QL3.

5) Volunteer to be around patients / clients.  Volunteer ambulance, volunteer fire department emergency calls, old folks home, hospital, crisis line, St John Ambulance Brigade, etc. That way you will get a "little taste" of working in an environment where people are needy / sick / ill / injured and you can bring this up in the interview.

The above will help with CFRC questions that could arise like:

"How do you know that you are suited for working the medical field?"
"What experience do you have working in the medical field?"
"How do you know that you will be able to learn the complex medical topics that we will be teaching you?"
"Can you name some of the challenges a Med Tech might have in providing care to wounded CF members?"
"Provide an example of when you helped someone in need / crisis"

Sound answers to these questions can help you get selected and make you look more competitive.

I hope that is of some help.  Good luck.

MC

hawgworth said:
; currently I am working on my first aid and CPR but would like to have a first responder cert before I am in. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to reply #2, young people ( ages 14 -25 ) aspiring to become Med Techs may wish to consider Med Vents.
Med Vents are sponsored by EMS and volunteer alongside career paramedics at large scale events:
http://www.medvents.ca/1stDownsview
http://scarboroughmedvents.ca/

Med Vents receive certificates for:
Emergency First Responder (EFR), Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), and International Trauma Life Support (ITLS).
There is no charge. Training is provided and paid for by EMS Education and Development.

Along with your course certificates, you can request a letter(s) of reference from the department.
A departmental official will also speak to your recruiter, if contacted as a reference.

Agreed... MedVents is not a bad idea either and will help make you more competitive.

MC

MedCorps said:
Agreed... MedVents is not a bad idea either and will help make you more competitive.

MC

They seem like fun to "hang around" with.  ;D

I am going to be 17 soon and am graduating this year. I was hoping to join the reserves as a medical technician. I have all the necessary courses and am working on my fitness. I just had a few questions

1. As a reservist I still want to attend university so will I have to miss it to attend basic training camp and training to become a medical technician?

2. I want to go on to become a doctor or a psychiatrist and probably with the CF. Will becoming a Medical Technician help that in any way?

3. When does training camp happen?

4. Anything which you guys think I should know

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I have scheduled a meeting with a recruiting officer but want to know something before I go. Don't want to appear like a complete idiot.

tanman said:
I am going to be 17 soon and am graduating this year. I was hoping to join the reserves as a medical technician. I have all the necessary courses and am working on my fitness. I just had a few questions

1. As a reservist I still want to attend university so will I have to miss it to attend basic training camp and training to become a medical technician?

2. I want to go on to become a doctor or a psychiatrist and probably with the CF. Will becoming a Medical Technician help that in any way?

3. When does training camp happen?

4. Anything which you guys think I should know

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I have scheduled a meeting with a recruiting officer but want to know something before I go. Don't want to appear like a complete idiot.

Hey man! Bunch of wonderful questions, but, the best person to answer each and everyone of these questions is a local recruiter. Give them a shout and see what they have to say. "forces.ca" has all your answers!

Good luck!

(I am not a member of the forces; however I have asked many of these questions (similar at least) and the recruiter usually has a pretty concrete answer).

tanman said:

Reserves are ideal for post-secondary school people.  Most of the training is geared for being run in the summer.  Pretty much means you have a "decent" summer job.

MedTech will pretty much just give you an idea of what you will be getting into.  Plus the basic anatomy/physiology wouldn't hurt either.

DM

Becoming a reserve medical assistant looks good on the resume for med school applications.  In my experience I would say that is one of the biggest reasons people become reserve medics. 

Hey guys,

As the title says I plan to enlist as a Medical Tech in the forces preferably the Army. I've contacted the recruiter to get more information about the trade
so I've got a idea of the physical level I need to be at. As for academics I'm busting my ass off in my studies because there is no way in hell I'm getting rejected by crummy marks.  I was surprised though my parents took my intent to enlist fairly well and my mom is one of those people who think the Army is going to get me killed. Is there anything else I should be researching/preparing for?

- Liam

Volunteer work and team sports look great on your application. See if you can get those up to par. Also, you can begin practicing for the CFAT now if you'd like. There is plenty of information online.

Make sure your parents fully understand the trade your interested in. It makes the whole application process better and somewhat more enjoyable.

If you haven't already, start working out now. The better shape you're in for basic, the better it will be. This does not come from experience, as I'm not a member yet, but it seems like common sense.

That being said, make your main focus school. Finish up with good grades. Don't let your desire to be in the Forces sidetrack you from that.

Study.  Run. Do lots of pushups.  Take what medical courses you can (St John Ambulance, wilderness first aid etc).  Augment your resume with whatever relevant experiences are available.  Think about plan B in case the trade is closed when you want to apply.  Think about a civillian college paramedic program. 

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice guys, about the CPR training I read on the forums its better off not getting that because the CF does it a different way then civvie street does. I'm working on a workout time table trying to get 4-5 days of exercises a week, each day focusing on a certain area of fitness.

Back