• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application

As requested:

QL3 Med Tech 65 days of clinical phase

Basic Anatomy
Medical Terminology
Patient Communication Techniques
Charting
Code of Ethics
Medical Law
Maintain medical records
Manage medical supplies and equipment
Describe the role and organization and traditions of the Canadian Forces Medical Service

Basic Physical Assessment
Basic Pathophysiology (medical conditions)
Basic Psychiatric conditions

Take Vital Signs
Perform a 12 Lead EKG
Operate a Cardiac Monitor / Defibrillator
Conduct Visual Assessment (Medical Screening)
Conduct Auditory Assessment (Medical Screening)

Prepare a ward for a patient
Assist with patient mobility on a ward
Assist the patient with personal hygiene while an in-patient
Prepare a patient for a meal while and in-patient
Preparation of patients for in-patient diagnostic procedures
Provide post-operative patient care
Obtain laboratory specimens
Provide post mortem care

Utilize a Combi-tube and BVM
Administer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation

Aseptic Techniques
Assist with Minor Surgery
Prepare and package supplies and equipment for sterilization
Provide hospital based wound care
Irrigate a wound
Pack a wound
Teach the use of canes and crutches
Taping and physiotherapy splinting
Basic casting
Irrigate an ear

Administer topical and oral medications
Administer basic injections
Start and IV
Obtain a venous blood sample using a Vacutainer

QL3 Med Tech 8 days of field phase

Describe how the Geneva Convention influences medical care in an operational environment
Provide emergency treatment in a Nuclear, Biological or Chemical (NBC) environment
Describe basic field sanitation measures
Operate field lighting and heating equipment
Assist in setting up a limited Medical Care facility
Prepare casualties for transport by military evacuation means
Perform medical operational tasks under environmental conditions (NBC, Combat, Disaster, Humanitarian)

QL5 Med Tech - Clinical Phase (53 days)

Carry out medical administration procedures
Implement medical policies, agreements and understandings

Pharmacology
Intermediate Anatomy
Intermediate Physiology
Nursing Care Planning

Basic suturing

Conduct a medical screening
Intermediate Physical Assessment 
Dermatology
Psychiatry
Ophthalmology
Otolaryngology
Respirology
Endocrinology
Neurology
Cardiology 
Orthopedics
Urology
Gastrointestinal Medical Conditions
Dentistry
Malnutrition

Write an OTC prescription
Prescribe OTC medications
Administer injection medications
Administer IV medications

QL5 Med Tech - Field Phase (15 days)

Describe hygiene and sanitary standards of CF medical and dental facilities
Recognize hazards of food preparation and food storage facilities
Analyze potable water
Discuss the principles of chemical biological radiological and nuclear (CBRN) medical response
Provide intermediate medical care of a patient in CBRN environment
Conduct casualty decontamination drills
Process field medical reports and returns
Provide medical support during operations
Conduct a field medical facility site recce
Set up a field medical facility
Triage field casualties
Describe naval casualty clearing

I hope that is of some help,

MC

Thank you for the breakdown of the two courses. It is definitely different than a paramedic's duties and I will keep that in mind when I decide to put in my occupational transfer.  The wait time between courses still worries me. If I do join I would rather be QL5 trained as fast as possible rather than wait it out. When you are posted to a unit/ship are you able to request which unit? For example, if I would like to be posted to a combat arms unit I know I am able to request where I want to go, but do they really take it into account? Or just place you wherever they see fit/need you? When I graduate from ACP school in May my family does not want me to join the Reg force, but I have loved my three years in the reserve infantry so far. So, it's a lot to think about!

The QL3 and QL5 doesn't look too difficult. On the field training do they incorporate combat situations in the training? I don't mean scenario's such as "you are walking along and an IED goes off." More like, you go into a defensive position/dig trenches, lay wire, have demo platoon's out there as well, and treat your patients in such combat situations? 

Wow... lots of questions here..

First.  Do not forget that the QL3 Med Tech trg also has the PCP phase and the QL5A trg also has the AEC phase.  This is where you get your pre-hospital expertise on top of the other training indicated.  This makes you the well rounded jack of all trades.

We all would like to move through the training pipeline as quick as possible. The time from QL3 to QL5  is what it is.  Be happy that you might get fast tracked as you have QL4 / QL5 training in another MOSID. 

Postings.  They will request your posting preferences.  They are considered by all parities involved but do not always work out the way that the member would like them to work out.  It is service requirements first and foremost. The Queen's shilling and all. You can no longer request a posting directly to a combat arms unit.  These Med Tech positions are now staffed as an integral support function by the supporting field ambulance.  So if you want to be the Med Tech with a combat arms formation: 1. Get posted to a field ambulance. 2. Be fit. 3. Place as high as possible on your QL3 / QL5 so that people know you are not a pump when they read your course report 4. Be keen and become noticed at the Fd Amb by your NCO's as being reliable, fit and a competent Med Tech.  5. Be a lifelong learner and keep up clinical skills / courses. 6. Let your NCO's know of your interest for this sort of work.

QL3 / QL5 not difficult?  It is a personal thing I guess.  I have seen plenty of people fail both courses for a number of reasons. I have seen a good number fail QL3 and not be offered another attempt at taking the course (re-coursed) and OT'ed to another trade or released from the CF altogether.  I have also seen Med Tech candidates / Med Techs burning the midnight oil to study hard for exams. They might argue with your assessment of it not being difficult. So is it difficult... to each their own.  If you work hard, study, work as a team, pay attention to your instructors you will meet the standard and pass.  The one thing that the Canadian Forces Health Service Centre is very good at is taking the keen untrained private and turning them into a competent Medical Technician.

Field training incorporates combat, humanitarian, disaster, and CBRN situations where the Med Tech candidate is required to provide situational based medical care in a military unique environment. This is evaluated. I don't think you will be laying much wire, but then again I could be wrong as it has been sometime since I have been out in the field as an instructor with a QL3 Med Tech course.

Good luck with making your choices.

MC

Time line between QL3-QL5 -> 18 months to 4 years.

QL3 may not seem difficult but people fail off almost every course. If you fail either you may be "fired" from the medical trade (it is more complicated than that, but the end effect would be the same), so people are motivated to ensure they pass... And it is not a cakewalk either.

Thank you both for your information. I will talk to my unit about the transfer as soon as possible, as I'm sure it takes forever.  :p

Valentine

Hey there, first of all, sorry for my english I am from Quebec Canada. I have a question for you. I just completed my first year out of 3, in quebec to be a paramedic. I am starting my 2nd year in september.

I am in the process of joining the forces maybe in January (as the next QMB) here in Quebec. Do you think I should definetely apply as unskilled med tech.. or wait in 2 years and apply as a med tech who already have done his paramedic class? In both cases, I need to do my QL3 .. but if I dont finish my school and do my QMB this winter, I will have to wait a year or so to get on next QL3 and then go to New Brunswick or BC to get the paramedic class but its only 3-6 months.. not like my 3 years in Quebec..

So what should I do guys? Complete my degree and re-apply as a med tech?

I also been told that if I apply unskilled, after  QL3, QL5 I will be able to be paramedic as civilian if one day my mind change.

Thank you!

Trudel12 said:
I also been told that if I apply unskilled, after  QL3, QL5 I will be able to be paramedic as civilian if one day my mind change.

That is a question your provincial paramedic regulator can answer.

Provincial Paramedic Regulators
http://paramedic.ca/resources/links/

"Medical Technician to Civilian paramedic?"
http://army.ca/forums/threads/112047/post-1255461#msg1255461

"I am interested in possibly becoming a Medical Technician whether its with the army, Air Force, or Navy, and was wondering if it is possible to work as a Civilian Paramedic once my deployment years are over."

If your already in school just apply for the NCM-SEP program, you'll finish your PCP at a civi school, and do BMQ in the summer (getting paid the whole time). Then you just need to do a few mods of the QL3 course.  Your PCP licence is what let's you work as a paramedic civi side. You can technically work as a civi paramedic after QL3, as long as you can licence in the province you want to work in.  QL5 is no civilian equivalent, but many people think it's equal to ACP.

as for skilled or unskilled. There is no skilled recruitment option for med tech,  PCP is only one section of your QL3. Skilled is more for X-ray or lab techs since the military has no courses for them, they are required to join fully trained and accredited, there's is no QL3 for lab or X-ray tech, they can only joined as skilled.

CrittersBuggin said:
You can technically work as a civi paramedic after QL3, as long as you can licence in the province you want to work in.

QL5 is required In Ontario.

Instructions for QL5 Med Techs to obtain AEMCA are in the attachment. The MOHLTC requires a minimum of 120 hrs of field placement in Ontario.

"The operator of a land ambulance service shall not employ a person to provide patient care, whether on a full-time or part-time basis, or engage a person to provide patient care as a full-time volunteer, unless the person is a paramedic who, holds the qualifications of an advanced emergency medical care assistant"
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000257_e.htm#BK3

That reference you are providing is from 2007 it's out of date and requires a rewirte as AEC is no longer, the last course is finishing up out east right now. I'm only a QL3 and initially licensed outside of Ontario. I had no issues transferring my licence, I just had to write a short exam.

Challenging the exam with an expired licence is a whole other deal, and I would think that reference you provided is more geared toward a person with an expired licence, IE most medics.

The last time I looked into it was in Aug. 2012. I received this reply from the Toronto Emergency Medical Services Education & Development Unit:

"Back in 2007 the military approached the MOHLTC to accept their QL5 Med Techs if trained at JIBC, to be permitted to challenge the AEMCA. In the past the Ministry has permitted this, but has required an additional of 120 hrs minimum of field placement in Ontario.

To obtain these hours you could participate in a Med Tech Field Placement Program. Currently there are several Military Med Tech Field Placement Programs that have been implemented across Ontario. This Program offers Med Techs both QL3 and QL5 the opportunity to obtain these 120 hours, in addition to having the ability to be Temporarily Certified to perform Medical Directives consist ( sic ) with that of a Primary Care Paramedic in Ontario while doing their ride alongs. Some services that currently offer this program are: Ottawa, Toronto, Renfrew County, and possibly Simcoe County. There may be a couple other services that offer it as well.

In the past three years we have offered this program to 57 Med Techs.

The process generally calls for writing the AEMCA in addition to possibly a practical skills test (has been done in the past - but not always depending on qualifications and education)."

Ref:

"Medics requiring to maintain a license"
  https://army.ca/forums/threads/107868.0;nowap

So the guys main question that we both seem to be at odds about is

"after  QL3, QL5 I will be able to be paramedic as civilian if one day my mind change"

The answer is yes / no / maybe

Yes you can be a paramedic civi side if you still hold your licence and are working in that province - that province for new medics who take pcp in the military is New Brunswick. And New Brunswick requires 30 PT contacts a year, and they can be any contact, from seeing someone on sick parade or in the field, so for new medics who attend the training program in Moncton, you can potentially hold a licence for years without actually stepping foot into an ambulance.

No you can't be a paramedic civi side if your licence is expired, you will be required to licence again, possibly take a refresher course.

Maybe if you hold a licence and can pass the provincial licensing exam in the province you want to work in.

Iv see all that information you are referring to and it's out dated, you need to separate "military" from "civilian" the program that ever medic in the military takes is a "civilian" program and we hold "civilian" licences, so in knowing that, they can follow the same steps civilian medics use to work and licence in other provinces IRT Labour Mobility Provision of the Agreement on Internal Trade.  I did it, and my 450 hours transferred over, i didn't have any issues obtaining an Ontario licence nor has anyone from my course who applied.  I do how ever know that medics in the military who are QL5 and hold no current licence, use the exact steps you are referring to to gain a license in anticipation or release. 

CrittersBuggin said:
I do how ever know that medics in the military who are QL5 and hold no current licence, use the exact steps you are referring to to gain a license in anticipation or release.

I read here "that only 17% of Med Techs had kept their license current".

MedCorps said:
It turns out when the Credentials Cell did an audit that only 17% of Med Techs had kept their license current after the initial licensing event in BC or QC during QL3. This came as a surprise to a whole bunch of senior officers.

( I understand "the initial licencing event" is now in New Brunswick. )

Posts, like the one below, indicate some are having difficulty keeping their licence current.

Adam said:
Medics are not maintaining their PCP licence for the same reason that they are not completing their yearly MCSP requirements.  And its not because Med techs lack motivation or drive. 

I have been a Medic for 11 years.  I'm on my 6Th posting, and have been licensed as a PCP in 5 different provinces.  I have spent thousands of dollars trying to maintain a licence but I have finally given up.  11 years in, and I have only had 2 shifts on Amb through the MCSP program.

Until the CoC gets serious about providing real MCSP for Medics (that EHS in Canada will honor),  most Medics will not be able to maintain a licence.

What I would really like to know is, how CF Nurses can maintain their licence?  They face the same constraints as Medic, Don't they?

( I understand MCSP is now called MCRP. )

Hi Everybody,

I realize this topic has been more-or-less put to rest, but I've found this group to be my best bet at getting a solid, straightforward answer. So here goes:

I applied as a semi-skilled (under the direction of my recruiter) Medical Technician in January, 2015, as I was finishing my PCP course at JIBC. The application process went rather smoothly - aptitude test, medical and interview - for the first few months but I haven't heard much since, aside from a few phone calls I have made to the recruiting centre to check on the status of my application. I had one main question from the beginning of my application; do I need to be a licensed PCP in B.C to gain a position? I had applied in Victoria and was given a few different answers until my interview where my interviewer was very sure to say that NO I did not need to be licensed. As a struggling student at the time, I decided it was safe to save myself $500 for licensing and move on to other endeavours while I waited. Since then, I have moved to Montreal and had my file transferred over. I have had a few recruiting staff tell me that YES I do need to be licensed, and others that I do not (others just really don't know).

Just under two months ago I called the Montreal recruiting centre to check on my application and was told that everything was finished  - including my PLAR - and that I should now wait to be merit listed.  The catch was that I have applied for 1. Med. Tech. 2. Combat Eng. and 3. Infantry and the recruiter could not say whether I was waiting to be merit listed for Med. Tech. or another position. So, great, I had my answer that I did not need to be licensed, or so I thought. At the end of October I received an e-mail from CFRGPLAR stating that they were to BEGIN my PLAR and required some documents; namely, my Certificate of Completion of PCP, my provincial/national license number, and proof of employment/hours worked in a clinical setting (of which I only have the first).

So PLEASE, could someone clarify: As an applicant for Semi-Skilled Medical Technician, does the position require a valid license to work as a PCP?

As I completed my course in June, 2015, and I have one year to obtain a license, I will need to make steps to go back to B.C for my licensing exam soon should the CAF require it.

ScottBet said:
As an applicant for Semi-Skilled Medical Technician, does the position require a valid license to work as a PCP?

This may help,
Medics requiring to maintain a license 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/107868.0/nowap.html

As always, best to contact Recruiting.

Nobody here will be able to give you the definitive CFRC answer... you will need to contact your recruiter to do that.

What I can tell you is that it was the former two Surgeon General's intent to ensure that all Med Tech, regardless of entry stream were qualified, once, as a PCP in a provincial jurisdiction. It was a credibility issue and showed that our Med Techs, as part of their varied skill set were trained / qualified to the same standard as their civilian counterparts upon the granting of their apprenticeship qualification (QL3).

It would seem to me, if you are to enter semi-skilled and thus bypass the Canadian Forces Health Services Group PCP training (which is contracted out) where they achieve provincial qualification / license then you would need to come to the table with it on enrollment. 

Again, do not make financial commitments based on an Internet strangers interpretation of vague policy.

MC

Much thanks to the both of you.

From the link sent by mariomike, it sounds a lot like I will need to get licensed.  I may explore the option of getting licensed either in Ontario, New Brunswick or Nova Scotia as it is much nearer to me than Vancouver; Only time will tell.

It's interesting - and slightly disheartening - to get so many different answers from CFRC Recruiters.  In Victoria, the answer at the front desk was generally that they did not know (and didn't make an effort to find out), but a Captain there explicitly said that I did not need to be licensed.  Here in Montreal, I have been told that I do, in fact, need to be licensed by two different recruiters.  The other week I went to RMC St-Jean for an open house they were holding to see if I could get answers there.  They had a booth set up at the end of the tour with Regular Force Recruiters present to answer questions and when asked if I needed to be licensed he said that I do not! He was actually sort of looking at me funny as if it were a silly question.

On the other hand, I can't help but question why CFRGPLAR would contact me asking for my license number and proof of employment.

Does anyone have an inside guy that they think would be able to get a concrete answer? I feel a bit like I'm in the Twilight Zone here..

Quick edit - do you think it possible that the CF would accept me on a sort of conditional basis whereby they send me to get licensed, possibly with the next batch of graduating PCPs?

Here, let me try and explain this as simply as I can.  If you are applying for Regular Force Medical Technician, in order to be considered as a "Semi-Skilled" applicant, you need to meet the following conditions:

Have a Certificate or diploma from an accredited Primary Care Paramedic program
AND
• A current registration, licence, or certification (active status) to practise as a Paramedic from a Canadian provincial or territorial regulatory authority

AND
• Graduated within the last twenty four (24) months
OR
• Graduated more than twenty four (24) months ago: At least four-hundred and eighty (480) hours of cumulative experience as a Primary Care Paramedic with an emergency medical service within the past twenty-four (24) months

Everyone else, would be considered as "unskilled".  Anyone who presents academic transcripts that could be related to an occupation they are applying for, will normally be subject to the PLAR process.  I'd probably be in your best interests to obtain your licence.

Back