• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Canadian Forces Arrested in incident at Rideau Hall

Brenda (or her communications pro) needs to learn to speak simple English and to leave the bureaucracese behind for the office.

:stirpot:

The statement was probably written by the legal counsel at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police HQ. :stirpot:

Walt

It's too bad they stopped short of calling out May and Singh for their racist comments. Good to see their CoC sticking up for them.

Walt said:
The statement was probably written by the legal counsel at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police HQ. :stirpot:

Walt

One of them used to work for me on the reserve side. He could write better than that.

;D

FJAG said:
Brenda (or her communications pro) needs to learn to speak simple English and to leave the bureaucracese behind for the office.

:stirpot:

Was that English ???

Sorry! I'm French and didn't recognize the language being used.  :dunno:

FJAG said:

Where was the obligatory hyperlink to theIMIM so the enlightened (woke?) commenters could start picking that apart?

CANADALAND has a piece on the incident at Rideau. The host and co-host become the caricature of lefties seeing white supremacy nazi’s at every turn. https://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/268-harpers-is-still-lurking/ 

Ever since FJAG mentioned it in regards to the arrest of the Native "Chief" incident in Alberta, I actually wrote - in detail - to that media watchdog twice.

Not to be a Karen, but when it becomes quite clear that the media is deliberately misinforming the the public either via information they know to be untrue, or narrating incidents in a very biased and dishonest way, or withholding relevant information.

For example, the incident mentioned above... when the Edmonton Journal released the video, that's all they did.  They released the entire dashcam video from beginning to end, with no narration, and allowed the public to see for themselves what happened.  CTV and Global both showed approximately 6 to 10 seconds of the incident, and narrated it along the lines of "Native man beaten for expired license plate" - which, as we saw in the full video, wasn't remotely the case.

In regards to this incident, the media is now entertaining and actively insinuating that racism somehow played a factor, and if the individual wasn't caucasion, there would have been violence.

Not only is that incredibly insulting to the members who responded extremely professionally, but it contributes to the public perception of a problem that - in this case - doesn't exist.

Facts...

-  Individual showed up in a vehicle at a location where he thought the PM would be.
-  Individual drove his vehicle into the gates.
-  Individual had a firearm in the vehicle.

-  Individual cooperated with law enforcement when they arrived
-  Individual did not point firearm at law enforcement, or physically fight with law enforcement, during incident
-  Individual was taken into custody, after a verbal discussion, and subsequently charged appropriately

^^ The above is based on my understanding, and I may very well be wrong on something. ^^

To suggest that it would have gone down differently if the person had a darker skin colour is insulting, presumptuous, and dishonest.  And, in my opinion, extremely unprofessional for the leader of a major political party to be suggesting.

Although I will admit, as someone who has not had to endure racism, I will admit that perhaps Mr. Singh's life experience would genuinely have him believe that what he's saying is true. 

After the incident occurred in Alberta, the PM and a variety of the big players in Ottawa said they were 'quite disturbed by what they saw'.  Until, ofcourse, they saw the full video - where they all magically went silent. 

How hard is it to say "I'd like to see the video in full before commenting."  ??  And, once they were embarrassed by jumping to conclusions in regards to that situation, why would they not learn about commenting on this one? 

When it comes to this particular incident, I don't think race had anything to do with it.  And shame on Mr. Singh for insinuating that the members would have been less professional based on someone's skin colour.  :2c:   

CBH99 said:
Ever since FJAG mentioned it in regards to the arrest of the Native "Chief" incident in Alberta, I actually wrote - in detail - to that media watchdog twice.

Not to be a Karen, but when it becomes quite clear that the media is deliberately misinforming the the public either via information they know to be untrue, or narrating incidents in a very biased and dishonest way, or withholding relevant information.

For example, the incident mentioned above... when the Edmonton Journal released the video, that's all they did.  They released the entire dashcam video from beginning to end, with no narration, and allowed the public to see for themselves what happened.  CTV and Global both showed approximately 6 to 10 seconds of the incident, and narrated it along the lines of "Native man beaten for expired license plate" - which, as we saw in the full video, wasn't remotely the case.

In regards to this incident, the media is now entertaining and actively insinuating that racism somehow played a factor, and if the individual wasn't caucasion, there would have been violence.

Not only is that incredibly insulting to the members who responded extremely professionally, but it contributes to the public perception of a problem that - in this case - doesn't exist.

Facts...

-  Individual showed up in a vehicle at a location where he thought the PM would be.
-  Individual drove his vehicle into the gates.
-  Individual had a firearm in the vehicle.

-  Individual cooperated with law enforcement when they arrived
-  Individual did not point firearm at law enforcement, or physically fight with law enforcement, during incident
-  Individual was taken into custody, after a verbal discussion, and subsequently charged appropriately

^^ The above is based on my understanding, and I may very well be wrong on something. ^^

To suggest that it would have gone down differently if the person had a darker skin colour is insulting, presumptuous, and dishonest.  And, in my opinion, extremely unprofessional for the leader of a major political party to be suggesting.

Although I will admit, as someone who has not had to endure racism, I will admit that perhaps Mr. Singh's life experience would genuinely have him believe that what he's saying is true. 

After the incident occurred in Alberta, the PM and a variety of the big players in Ottawa said they were 'quite disturbed by what they saw'.  Until, ofcourse, they saw the full video - where they all magically went silent. 

How hard is it to say "I'd like to see the video in full before commenting."  ??  And, once they were embarrassed by jumping to conclusions in regards to that situation, why would they not learn about commenting on this one? 

When it comes to this particular incident, I don't think race had anything to do with it.  And shame on Mr. Singh for insinuating that the members would have been less professional based on someone's skin colour.  :2c: 

Mostly on the money, though I wouldn't describe him as 'cooperative'. It took an hour and a half to get him surrender. Merely that, in that time, he didn't make it necessary for anyone to shoot him.

Quick court appearance today - back @ month's end ....
The Canadian Armed Forces member accused of uttering threats against the prime minister and crashing the gate at Rideau Hall with a loaded firearm remains in custody as he awaits a bail hearing.

Corey Hurren, 46, faces 22 criminal charges, most related to the four loaded firearms police say he had in his possession the day he allegedly drove a truck onto the official residence grounds and set out on foot toward the prime minister's home.

He's also accused of uttering a threat to "cause death or bodily harm" to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was not home at the time.

Hurren's matter was briefly before the court today, via videoconference, but his case was put over until the end of the month ...
As always, nothing proven in court yet, presumption of innocence until convicted via due process.

Corey Hurren pleads guilty to 8 charges tied to Rideau Hall incident​

Manitoba reservist wanted to arrest Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
Catharine Tunney · CBC News · Posted: Feb 05, 2021 12:12 PM ET

The RCMP charged Corey Hurren on July 3, 2020 with 22 charges linked to the Rideau Hall security incident the day before.

The Canadian Forces reservist who today pleaded guilty to eight charges related to his storming the gates of Rideau Hall last summer, wanted to make a statement to the prime minister by showing up at one of his daily media briefings, the court heard.

Corey Hurren, 46, entered the plea in an Ottawa courtroom on Friday.

The Manitoba resident pleaded guilty to seven weapon related charges, including possessing guns for "a purpose dangerous to the public peace."

According to updated court documents, Hurren had a loaded Lakefield Mossberg shotgun, a loaded Grizzly Arms shotgun, a restricted Hi-Standard revolver, a prohibited M14 rifle and a prohibited International Arms break-open pistol with him July 2 when he drove a truck onto the grounds of Rideau Hall and set out on foot toward the prime minister's home at Rideau Cottage.

He admitted Friday to possessing the Hi-Standard revolver, the M14 rifle and the pistol, plus a high-capacity magazine without a licence.

Hurren also pleaded guilty to handling the loaded shotguns in a public place where they could not be discharged.

He also pleaded guilty to one count of mischief causing damage to the gate at Rideau Hall.
According to the agreed statement of facts read out in the courtroom, Hurren was observed on surveillance video on the morning of July 2, arming himself with a number of firearms before setting out on foot.

A responding police officer asked Hurren to place his weapon on the ground.

Hurren refused and said he would not disarm, according to the statement.

The officer persisted but Hurren said, "I can't do that."

The court heard how he then told the officer that he wanted to arrest the prime minister.

He said he felt betrayed by his government, was angry and felt he had nothing left.

Hurren said he wanted to make a statement to the prime minister by showing up during one of his daily media briefings.

He returns to court for a sentencing hearing Feb. 23.

Seeing as six years is federal time, it might lend a different slant to his previous venture with Grindhouse Meats and Ring of Fire sausage. :devilish:

Far-right extremist groups are “actively recruiting” past and present members of the military and police, according to a declassified Canadian intelligence report obtained by Global News.

70c8fc80

The report cited 17 examples in Canada, the U.S., U.K., Germany and New Zealand which “illustrate the intersections and relationships between ideologically motivated violent extremism and uniformed personnel.”

Six of the cases involved members of the Canadian military or reserves.

“IMV extremist groups actively recruiting uniformed personnel,” Canadian government threat assessment said. IMV is the acronym for Ideologically Motivated Violence.

Cannot say I'm surprised at all.

Is he serving any of that in Club Ed?
I doubt it (he said knowing nothing of the military justice system). He was charged by civilian authorities and processes through a civilian court.

It's not unheard of for a member convicted of a serious offence to serve the first two years at Club Ed and then get punted to civilian prison for the rest of their sentence.

My understanding is that ‘club Ed’ is generally for those considered militarily salvageable. Hurren is very much not that. He’s likely cooling his heels in a CSC institution somewhere.

Back