• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Ceremonial Guard Wounded by Bayonet

I hope the member has a speedy recovery.  Good on the other members and the medics on scene.  It sounds like they saved his life.  :salute:

Strike said:
Speedy recovery to the soldier.

As to those who would take pictures of another person's suffering, why?  So you could show your friends and get a couple more notches up on the cool factor?  Or maybe try to sell it to the papers for a few bucks?

Maybe it's an age or generation gap.  I didn't think I was THAT old though.

Only an asshole would do that.

On a lighter note; I'm sure the ribbing he is gonna get once better will hurt almost as bad as the wound!My father in law was a GGFG way back when and of course called telling stories of other such incidents.

On a more important note, what are they going to do to rectify the problem with the manhole?

cupper said:
On a more important note, what are they going to do to rectify the problem with the manhole?

Had to chuckle at some of the comments.  One woman just couldn't BELIEVE that people would be parading with sharpened knives! Even if there was no tip to those things it would still cause some damage if one were to fall on it.

Anyway, chicks dig scars.  ;)

Hopefully the issue with the manhole cover will be addressed, but it has been a parade hazard for years. The problem is exacerbated by coming off the usually-Dewey lawn onto the pavement and executing a right turn on the march on parade boots with clickers. Fwiw the guardsman in question was not as badly injured as the press suggested, and he will be fine.

The funniest bayonet stabbing at CG that I ever saw was a kid from CGG who was on the drill team. During a short break in practice a bug landed on his hand and he shook it off but in doing so he slammed his hand onto buddy's bayonet. After that we nicknamed him handjob.

cupper said:

Ahh. . . . how would staffing a solution to the manhole cover go . . . now imagine some of those fancy soft fade out special effects on TV when someone's mind shifts to flights of fancy

The report of injuries and the general safety accident report are initiated.  Evidence is collected and the summary investigation is completed.  The reports are forwarded to higher formation/commnad in accordance with the normal distribution.  The recommendation that action be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future is accepted and it is proposed that the matter be studied.

After extensive study it is realized that the manhole cover is not on DND property and thus command refers the matter to NDHQ who will liaise with the appropriate agency responsible for that particular cover for rectification of the problem.  Due to the location of the cover and its connection with the sewage/drainage system, there is a delay while determining who is the actual owner.  It is unclear whether to contact the National Capital Commission, the City of Ottawa or Parliament.  After preliminary informal talks with these it is suggested that a mid-level multi-jurisdictional taskforce be formed to study the situation.  Due to the level of negotiations outside the department, it is recommended that the DND rep be at the Col/Snr Ex level.  A major, a captain and an infantry MWO (as SME on marching) are also tasked to assist in preparing the (heavily Power Pointed) departmental presentation to the taskforce.

Initial meetings of the multi-jurisdictional taskforce seem to go well, however, since there is limited Canadian documented study about the slip co-efficient between boots and manhole covers (plus additional study re variants of sole composition and attachments) it is recommended that (while waiting for DRDC Toronto to complete such studies) the taskforce view a "Changing of the Guard" in order to better understand the matter.  As, by this time, the Ceremonial Guard has ceased (since it is no longer summertime), it is suggested that the panel make a visit to London, England so that they may be able to accomplish the same goal.

. . . . . . . .  special effects fade back to normal

Blackadder1916 said:
Ahh. . . . how would staffing a solution to the manhole cover go . . . now imagine some of those fancy soft fade out special effects on TV when someone's mind shifts to flights of fancy

The report of injuries and the general safety accident report are initiated.  Evidence is collected and the summary investigation is completed.  The reports are forwarded to higher formation/commnad in accordance with the normal distribution.  The recommendation that action be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future is accepted and it is proposed that the matter be studied.

After extensive study it is realized that the manhole cover is not on DND property and thus command refers the matter to NDHQ who will liaise with the appropriate agency responsible for that particular cover for rectification of the problem.  Due to the location of the cover and its connection with the sewage/drainage system, there is a delay while determining who is the actual owner.  It is unclear whether to contact the National Capital Commission, the City of Ottawa or Parliament.  After preliminary informal talks with these it is suggested that a mid-level multi-jurisdictional taskforce be formed to study the situation.  Due to the level of negotiations outside the department, it is recommended that the DND rep be at the Col/Snr Ex level.  A major, a captain and an infantry MWO (as SME on marching) are also tasked to assist in preparing the (heavily Power Pointed) departmental presentation to the taskforce.

Initial meetings of the multi-jurisdictional taskforce seem to go well, however, since there is limited Canadian documented study about the slip co-efficient between boots and manhole covers (plus additional study re variants of sole composition and attachments) it is recommended that (while waiting for DRDC Toronto to complete such studies) the taskforce view a "Changing of the Guard" in order to better understand the matter.  As, by this time, the Ceremonial Guard has ceased (since it is no longer summertime), it is suggested that the panel make a visit to London, England so that they may be able to accomplish the same goal.

Your timeframe is unreasonable - it assumes that anything at all would happen before 2013.

We all know government shuts down for the summer...

Blackadder1916 said:

I don't know how he does it.  But this guy is a fortune teller.  That or someone's solution would be to remove the offending manhole cover and/or put up large warning signs around the man hole cover warning of potential slip hazard.

What makes you think that events in my scenario (other than CF98s and CF663s leaving the unit) occur anytime in this year or 2013 for that matter?  I've been "from NDHQ and here to help" and actually seen things like accident reports and MACRs that I initiated two, three or four years previously (before posting to NDHQ) and even one from before I was commissioned cross my desk for staffing.

Meanwhile, the Sgt running RQMS - the best boss and worst PDR I've ever had - ever a practically minded man, will probably just buy some sheets of 1/32" rubber and some contact cement, have the storesmen I tasked him cut them into 2" x 2" squares, and distribute the above to PD coy to be glued to the ball of the foot on the parade boots just aft of the clicker.

That manhole cover's a real bastard. I know it well. Too well.

Or some slightly inebriated and enterprising young soldiers, during the night, could pour maple syrup and sand over the offending cover and hope it doesn't rain.

Sythen said:
Or some slightly inebriated and enterprising young soldiers, during the night, could pour maple syrup and sand over the offending cover and hope it doesn't rain.

Spoken like a true public sector manager\ supervisor.

Strike said:
Speedy recovery to the soldier.

As to those who would take pictures of another person's suffering, why?  So you could show your friends and get a couple more notches up on the cool factor?  Or maybe try to sell it to the papers for a few bucks?

Maybe it's an age or generation gap.  I didn't think I was THAT old though.

Someone took a picture and a newspaper, the Ottawa Citizen, published it. Now, in fairness, it is news; my daily walk often takes me to the Hill when the Ceremonial Guard* is there and I have never seen a soldier "thunder in," much less injure him/herself.

"Ceremonial Guard" is correct. The parade is conducted by the "public duties company" and the band.

My recollection from a few summers back is we'd average a troop thunder in two or three times a week. It seemed to more often be musicians, but sometimes riflemen too. A few years back one of the three guard commanders rather epicly passed out and went down hard during the parade.

Those manholes are a menace, but this is the first time I'm aware of someone actually being injured and not just bouncing back up to carry on.

I haven't seen that manhole cover for many years, and never took a good look at the time ... I wonder if they could replace it with a slip-resistant texture, like what they have on curbs at transitway stops in Ottawa, where the surface has bumps and each bump has many smaller protrusions on it.  The surface looks like a metal file or something.  I imagine that was designed to prevent slipping in boots, snow etc.  Might help with cleats too-? 

But then to enact such a thing would probably require something along the lines of what Blackadder16 envisioned.  Maybe a late-night run with 1/32" rubber and contact cement is in order - on the manhole cover, not guards' boots.

I didn't realize that the Ottawa citizen posted a video of the incident as well. Pretty intense to say the least.

eliminator said:
I didn't realize that the Ottawa citizen posted a video of the incident as well. Pretty intense to say the least.

Just watched it, fortunately you don't see the actual stab, only his reaction after. Thankfully it was only his upper arm, and hopefully he'll make a full recovery. What I assume are GD pers are there literally within seconds to help him out, good to see.

Back