• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Ceremonial Guard Wounded by Bayonet

Isn't this called an "accident"? 

I mean, unfortunate and all but if it is the one time this has happened in a long time, if ever, shouldn't we just say "shit happens" and carry on instead of planning for destruction of said manhole cover?

As this is a consistant problem in this location could not the manhole cover be made more traction friendly.....

Bzzliteyr said:
Isn't this called an "accident"? 

I mean, unfortunate and all but if it is the one time this has happened in a long time, if ever, shouldn't we just say "crap happens" and carry on instead of planning for destruction of said manhole cover?

And maybe the next guy to slip on it stabs himself in the chest or the guy in front of him in the kidney? Why not fix a problem which seems like a relatively simple fix to PREVENT injuries? Seems like you're advocating Darwinism so we can cull the herd of the ceremonial guard.

PuckChaser said:
Seems like you're advocating Darwinism so we can cull the herd of the ceremonial guard.

and this is a bad thing?  :)

N
PuckChaser said:
And maybe the next guy to slip on it stabs himself in the chest or the guy in front of him in the kidney? Why not fix a problem which seems like a relatively simple fix to PREVENT injuries? Seems like you're advocating Darwinism so we can cull the herd of the ceremonial guard.

Not quite but we tend to knee jerk react to things like this.  Society feels they need to protect their little snowflakes anytime anyone gets hurt.

It's like the story I heard about Armour crewman wanting steel toed boots back in the day.  When pushing the request higher it was noted that the number of crewman who had accidents that steel toed boots could have prevented was so little it didn't justify it.

If you take into consideration the (most likely true) story by BlackAdder, the costs of fixing this vs the costs of just telling everyone to "BE CAREFUL ON THE CORNER" will definetly be more.  Maybe we can just take the bayonets away from all of them so no one gets cut?  But then, what if a soldier trips and pokes his eye out with his C7?  Better take them away as well?

I may have brought my ideas to the table all messed up but I think you see where I am going here. 

Long term solution:  Google "nonslip manhole cover."  Buy result.

Short term solution:  One private, one brush, one can of black nonslip deck paint.  (One Bioscience Officer to supervise  ;D )

Dirt Digger said:

Is there an engineering study on file to justify this expenditure of public funds?  Moreover, is this a proper and authorized use of government IT resources?  The correct manner to solicit bids and then purchase a non-slip manhole cover (is "manhole" even politically correct?) would be to take the aforementioned engineering study, draft a stastement of requirements and post it on MERX.

Dirt Digger said:
Short term solution:  One private, one brush, one can of black nonslip deck paint.  (One Bioscience Officer to supervise  ;D )

Followed by a grievance and lawsuit by OPSEU aganst the DND/CF for taking work away from unionized city/NCC employees

Dirt Digger said:

Get sued for not putting a tender out to various companies to allow them to bid on said manhole cover.

Come up with a set of tests the product needs to pass.

All products fail test.

Test is rewriten.

More bids, more testing.  One company finally wins.

Company takes additional 6 years to design the product and deliever it.

Long term solution indeed.

Stabbings at CG have been going on for a while.  Mostly during practice but a few times on the hill most people think the guy fainted or he toughs it out until the end and deals with it when he gets back (Not recommended as we had one guy pass out when he got to the drill hall).  Likely it will happen again.  I can think of about 3 serious cases in 10 years not counting this one.

However the manhole cover and that particular incline coming off the hill has been a problem area for years.  Troops have taken spills there on more than one occasion.  This is not a one time thing.  In this case it had more serious results.  This is more of a case of "well it was bound to happen at some point" and it finally did and unfortunately it takes that to take action.  So if they make it safer for the troops coming off the hill then good.  I always thought it would be someone smashing the back of their head or injuring their backs but it turned out to be a bayonet.  There's no reason they can't have a safe workplace like everyone else.

The story is somewhat blown way out of proportion but whatever.  slow news week when the house is adjourned.

If it was a summer student that got stabbed, they might be inclined to start a lawsuit, which might actually force someone to fix the issue.

Haggis said:
Is there an engineering study on file to justify this expenditure of public funds?  Moreover, is this a proper and authorized use of government IT resources?  The correct manner to solicit bids and then purchase a non-slip manhole cover (is "manhole" even politically correct?) would be to take the aforementioned engineering study, draft a stastement of requirements and post it on MERX.

Followed by a grievance and lawsuit by OPSEU aganst the DND/CF for taking work away from unionized city/NCC employees

[and others who've posted similar scenarios]

The bureaucrats don't have to do a thing... we're so well-trained, we put up our own roadblocks now.    ;)

While all the paperwork is being typed up for action on Vimy centennial day (which if the issuance of the 1812 bicentennial pins is any indication, will take place in 2020); some enterprising young troop(s) could take a page from Mythbusters and spray truck bed lineer on the offending manhole cover one night. The alternative would be to get a mixture of paint and sand and apply the home made "no slip" surface; however you have to time this so the mixture has a day or two to dry.

In either case make sure the colour matches the original fairly closely; a bright yellow or international saftey orange manhole cover might arouse some comment, and public works will probably remove it right away and replace it with a "regulation" one until the paperwork is staffed and vetted.....

...while creating a distraction for the RCMP officers who are parked right there? 

ObedientiaZelum said:
Get sued for not putting a tender out to various companies to allow them to bid on said manhole cover.

Come up with a set of tests the product needs to pass.

All products fail test.

Test is rewriten.

More bids, more testing.  One company finally wins.

Company takes additional 6 years to design the product and deliever it.

Long term solution indeed.

Sounds like you're buying an LSVW or four.....

OK, so my first question opens up a can of worms.

But maybe we are looking at this all wrong.

We could develop a solution in house, and address the real problem, that CG's are getting hurt using bayonets.

Maybe we need to replace the real bayonet with a rubber bayonet. ;D

Or one made of stainless steel that has a dull edge and with a big ball on the end to prevent stabbing (I've actually seen ceremonial bayonets like this in museums). :nod:

No, no. You have it wrong as well.

The solution, clearly, is a one day awareness course, complete with consultant presenter and video, on bayonet and manhole cover  safety and regulations. All CF members who may come into contact with a bayonet or parades will be required to complete this training NLT October 1st. This is to be top priority for all commanders.

or we could go back to wearing chain mail and steel breast plates and helmets.

(But then the Armoured Corps might get all up in arms.)

Better still, have the CG march to the driveway entrance, then load them on trucks and drive across the manhole, then dismount and continue on their merry way.

Problem solved.

Surely there's a simpler way. Couldn't we just lay an AVLB across the hazard each day?    :D

Back