• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Ceremonial Guard Wounded by Bayonet

CDN Aviator said:
Which is a BS excuse. If you are wearing DEU ( the land one even more so), there's a metric shit ton of other stuff that can create FOD. No one was telling you to remove ribbons/medals, ranks, command badges, etc... were they ?

Don't really care what the reason was. FOD or sparks. Meh, nada.

Just sayin' I had to walk out to the Boeing, in my Greens, at the instruction of the guy at the AMU.
Take it up with him.

Didn't bother me then, doesn't now.

Don't get yourself wrapped around the horizontal stabilizer about something that happened to me 40 years ago.

I've let it go, quite some time ago. ;)

Letter to the Editor on the subject.

"Ceremonial guards are professional, disciplined:

I was a member of the very first Ceremonial Guard from 1969 to 1971 (it was then called Public Duties Detachment) when the two militia regiments from Montreal, the Canadian Grenadier Guards, and Ottawa, the Governor General Foot Guards, took the ceremony over from the Royal Canadian Regiment.

I have seen my fair share of my comrades slipping on manhole covers particularly after a light rain and I very nearly suffered that same fate on several occasions myself. The metal cleats under our boots sometimes made it difficult to keep our footing under those conditions.":

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Ceremonial+guards+professional+disciplined/6852077/story.html#ixzz1zg49953i

recceguy said:
It's a moot point until the investigation proves that was the cause.

OLD SCHOOL COMMENT - INSENSITIVITY ALERT!Of course the investigation will determine that the soldier is wholly at fault.  Shoddy drill (failure to properly execute a drill movement as taught and ordered - i.e  Neglect to the Prejudice of Good Order and Discipline contrary to NDA S 129) is the obvious cause as the equipment issued to the soldier functioned exactly as designed and intended.

OLD SCHOOL COMMENT CONCLUDED - INSENSITIVITY ALERT ENDED.

While a member of CG in the early 80's, I, too, have been a victim of that damned manhole cover and was almost knocked out of ranks by a solder on my left who also was attacked at that spot.

Haggis said:
  Shoddy drill (failure to properly execute a drill movement as taught and ordered

Steps of incorrect length ?

Not enough "press down on the thumbs" ?

Pressed down on the thumbs but did not take the bends out of the elbows ?

Too much "dig the heels in" ?

Did not "bring it around in threes ?

Inside man did not "step short" ?

Outside man did not "step out" enough ?

Rheostatic said:

Interesting to note that when the guardsman in the video lost his footing, he was slipping on the pavement and not the manhole cover.

There could be more to this than meets the eye.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

IMO, an excellent recovery.

Shyte happens. :yellow:

In response to comments about soldiers adding clickers to their boots:  when I first joined the CF it was to do Ceremonial Guard.  My 2 pairs of drill boots were issued with clickers on, as were the boots of my 300 closest friends at the time.  There was no choice, and taking the clickers off almost certainly would have been punished.  Their purpose was specifically to make the impressive sound when marching.  We were told, at the time, not to walk through hangars or anywhere where there was a spark hazard. 

It was only after I'd finished with CG and gone on to other parts of the CF, that I was issued with non-clicker parade boots.

As to a regulatory basis for the CF to add clickers to all of our boots... who knows.  There are many things different about CG.  :)

Cornwallis in '89, 2 pair of ankle boots issued, one pair went to the cobbler for double-soles and clickers.  It wasn't an option.

cupper said:
Interesting to note that when the guardsman in the video lost his footing, he was slipping on the pavement and not the manhole cover.

There could be more to this than meets the eye.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

I know that dude- I was his section commander for a year; he's from my unit up until recently. The video recently made the rounds to everybody's amusement.

The clickers are a hazard. That's no surprise to anybody, and should be a no brainer to anyone who cares to look. Hardly a 'more than meets the eye' situation...

That particular spot overall, the incline going down, the pavement, the manhole cover, and the actual drill movement in that particular spot, all of it is a hazard.  i've slipped a few times there myself.  And it wasn't the manhole for me.

No one gives a shit until someone gets seriously hurt or killed then the finger pointing will start.

Political parties will pay a token lip service to the injured soldier then use the issue to bicker at each other.

The MND will send out a CF wide email about work place safety.

I'll try and reply the CF wide email because I'm lonesome at work but won't be able to.

[I'll sadly reflect on the fact that I don't even get joke emails]
;D

You could have Blakeys and a double sole put on in Cyprus for a couple of pounds.  Sounded cool when the entire battalion did  a march past, but they were downright dangerous. I ended up on my ass a few times.

maybe time to update the ceremonial drill format . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0DsVPkyZg&feature=related

Back