• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mental Health Benefits Eligibility

Hiraeth

Inactive
Reaction score
VAC just received my Disability Benefits appication for one of my eligible health conditions (one of..Lol). I'm curious and furious that I could be eligible for Mental Health Benefits "ONLY' from the date they received my application. I've been seeing a Social Worker for the last 3 years because of my mental state where I was at the point of taking my life. It took me one year to trust and actually see my Social Worker in person. Another year to agree to having an Assessment done which assessed me during the time my best friend died and another just took his life. I came back from Afghanistan - denied having any Mental issues like PTSD because I didn't fit the description or at least I didn't think. I tried to get help numerous times but either was told I was ok or when I wrote and told someone doing a survey it disappeared. I have been fighting demons for the last 16 years, losing it, zoning out, hiding, suicide thoughts, you name it - yes, i didn't trust the Medical side. I don't know of I'll receive anything - I just want to be covered if I continue to see a Social Worker when I get out or things go crazy. My condition has not been dealth with - its going to bed around 01:30 when I'm exhausted and wakening up 4-5 hours later in a sweat or panic state - for the last 16 years. My family has dealth with alot but, no medical/social worker understands that. I've been in denial for years but finally accepted my condition - only to be told nothings wrong! I sometimes think...

I feel your frustration with the date they use for benefits; I injured my back in 1992, didn’t apply until 2005 and my benefits only began the date of application.

Without wanting to pry, have you had a clinical diagnosis by a qualified clinician? Eg - diagnosed with an OSI related to service?

I feel your frustration with the date they use for benefits; I injured my back in 1992, didn’t apply until 2005 and my benefits only began the date of application.

Without wanting to pry, have you had a clinical diagnosis by a qualified clinician? Eg - diagnosed with an OSI related to service?
I started in 2019 when a Social Worker contacted me but there is records (if not missing) of me talking with them from 2012 - 2014 and several times every year. A question for anyone that has never been diagnosed with a Mental Illness, been in denial or really wasn't sure they had something...they should be compensated when they find out. Myself, I'm slowly on the road to recovery and just ensuring if I get worse or costs $$ to talk with someone is avaiable. My assessment said "could, might, looks likes, seems like, has the symptoms, etc." then the final sentence said: "No PTSD & No OSI. I'm confused.

My assessment said "could, might, looks likes, seems like, has the symptoms, etc." then the final sentence said: "No PTSD & No OSI. I'm confused.
Think of an OSI as the mechanism of injury. Like, you were injured in a fall while running. The diagnosis, 'PTSD', would be the result of the OSI injury. So PTSD would be the broken leg you suffered as a result of falling while running (OSI).

If the assessment is saying "could, might, look, but no PTSD/OSI" then the clinician doing the assessment could be recognizing some signs and symptoms that you have, which are related to those things, but they don't specifically meet the criteria. For example, you could have 2 signs and symptoms of PTSD but you might need to display 5 to meet the criteria for a medical diagnosis of PTSD.

I was curious if there was a referral for a diagnosis that has been completed. I can go to a SW or therapist but they might not be able to make a diagnosis even if they are helping someone. It might not be in their scope of practice.

All VAC claims only go back to application. Maybe the CAF needs to inform people to apply when an issue is diagnosed.

All VAC claims only go back to application. Maybe the CAF needs to inform people to apply when an issue is diagnosed.

Agreed. The only time I have ever had that passed on in a CAF session/PD day/etc was at the SCAN seminar I attended earlier this year.

I could be wrong but I believe there’s a substantial difference in MH benefits if there is a diagnosis vice “general” MH benefits.

Agreed. The only time I have ever had that passed on in a CAF session/PD day/etc was at the SCAN seminar I attended earlier this year.

I could be wrong but I believe there’s a substantial difference in MH benefits if there is a diagnosis vice “general” MH benefits.
Yes.

VAC now approves up to 24 months of MH care when a veteran submits a PSC for MH.

When a recognised MH diagnosis is received by VAC, MH treatment and related Rx (if required) will continue to be provided as long as necessary, beyond the initial 24 months.

Back