• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merged 64 Pattern Rucksack thread

• Thread starter PTE Gruending
  • Start date

What is the better ruck sack?

• CF Issue Rucksack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pack 64 Jump Ruck

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
PPCLI guy:
I dont mean to sound like a newb,but if you could tell me how,without any additional hardware to do it I would really appriciate it. I only have the frame,no straps for that pattern.

gun plumber said:
PPCLI guy:
I dont mean to sound like a newb,but if you could tell me how,without any additional hardware to do it I would really appriciate it. I only have the frame,no straps for that pattern.

OK - I did it a long time ago, but I have my ruck in front of me...

Use the shoulder strap assembly from the 82 ruck.  Put it on the frame - it is fairly straight forward.

Then put the back / hip rest assembley on the 64 frame - again it is straightforward.

Lace the 82 bag to the top of the 64 frame.  Tighten up the existing straps at the mid way point of the 82 bag.

Add in civie waist belt

Bob is your uncle...

Thanks sir(looked at your profile)If it comes from you it gotta work.Ever give any troops grief for showing up with it?You know the old "Let me see your chit"or "is that on your docs?"

gun plumber said:
Thanks sir(looked at your profile)If it comes from you it gotta work.Ever give any troops grief for showing up with it?You know the old "Let me see your chit"or "is that on your docs?"

No sirs here...

And no, I never gave a troop a hard time for showing up with issue kit that worked!  It would be just palin wrong to tell troops to do one thing, and then do the opposite yourself.

I'm an ex-member who never got to use the 64 pattern ruck, just the 82.  What are the pro's and cons?  I am debating getting a 64 pattern from CP Gear, as I know it will be built well, but I'm also thinking civvy side.  Thoughts?

There are a variety of other manufacturers that produce 64 pattern bags... heck, I've got an original one that requires some repair (Some of the straps were cut for some unknown reason, I didn't check it over well enough before I bought it, should be a simple matter to repair though, I just haven't gotten around to doing it)

The PPCLI online kit shop has a two different copies of the bag for sale as well

http://kitshop.ppcli.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=218&osCsid=fb6e541e5c4ed7880e82324ef5d8e6a0

I have used both, I use the 64 now. In my opinion it is FAR superior for comfort, load carriage and ease of use.

I personally prefer the '64 pattern myself. Though hard to find frames in good repair, as Sig Op said, there are many bags avail throughout the system... just need a decent frame to strap it to!
  I also agree with ABN RFN - with the new Tac Vest and Gen III vest - the '64 ruck seems to ride better over your gear. The '82 pattern has NEVER been a welcome addition to the system.
  With the new small pack system that is slowly coming into the system however - you'll find you may not even need a rucksack any more - the damn thing can carry (by volume of the combined pouches) MORE than the '82 ruck! (Even has place to strap a valise to!)
  In the in - yes, the '82 pattern is a lovely piece of kit for inspections and stuffed into your locker at work. In the bush it's too bulky, has poor strap/ closure method and exterior pouches which are inconvenient and never seem to be big enough to store your - "go fast" gear.

Chimo!

Unfortunately, despite the new small pack system, we won't be ditching our 64 pattern rucks anytime soon as the small pack is not "jump-able". At least until we get the new Rucksack, which I hear has a far superior new system for rigging and jumping with. Until then, no complaints about the 64 pattern ruck at all, as far as frames go the riggers at CPC have been really good to us in terms of replacing our broken ones. There are some popular mods you can do to your 64 ruck as well. Many of the soldiers in my unit have replaced the kidney pad/belt and shoulder straps with either high speed civvie rigs or the upgraded version produced by the riggers. I have also used pipe insulation ( closed cell foam you can buy at any hardware store ) and guntape to reinforce the shoulder straps and cushion the frame. While some guys go overboard and end up with a monstrosity that looks more like a couch than a rucksack, a few mods can make it MUCH more comfortable on those long humps. It is amazing what a Canadian can do with a roll of gun/duct tape.   ;)

ABN RFN said:
It is amazing what a Canadian can do with a roll of gun/duct tape.   ;)

You mean like Red Green on Handyman's Corner?  ;D

If the enemy doesn't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

PPCLI Guy

I agree with you 100 percent......

Tho I have encountered many many Senior pers who were very displeased with me for following your philosophy.....

::)

I have had the 82 pat bag on 64 pat ruck for over 17 years.   The bag fits (with few alterations that I am sure any soldier can figure out)..   As for the waist belt, the American ALICE waist belt is the cats meow.. (if you ever use the damn thing)..   All belts get in the way of your web gear anyway..   They just keep the thing a bot more comfy when throwing it on eth truck or int he car..  Now I know I will hear the marching order and fighting order stuff.. Save that for the parade square..  I am sure that are still RSm's out there who want the troops to wash their kit every week for CO's parade..  How many times I saw fighting kit in washing machines still amazes me... 

Now that we are talking about web gear...   Unfortunately the new stuff (ii see there is already a bunch of posts on it) isn't going to fix the blaring problems with our total inadiquicies in ammo (mag), grenade and other essetiessentials including snivel kit like  food.. you know the stuff you need to fight with..  

oh well..   we should not expect anything great form Ottawa on such things :salute:.. or we would not have the LSVW, ILTIS, no armour, no training, no ammo and the list gores on..   Bit of a rant and bit off topic so I have dawned my asbestos suit so flame on!! :rage:

I use a different Cadpat ruck, still has all the same pockets and stuff on it. I will post pictures!

actually oak leaf, your legs should be bearing the majority of the weight to the fact the largest and strongest muscles in your body are all leg muscles.  No matter what style ruck you should use a hipbelt as webbing is being phased out.  Despite all of it's other shortcoming the TV was designed so you can use one (a hipbelt that is).  Sometimes I wonder at the people who wear their TV at their waist and use either the 64 or 82 ruck (without a belt cause there is no room, yeah whatever ::)) and they still complain about back pain. :p

Ok, I've searched through the archives, and what I've found is this...

It is possible to attach a 82 pattern bag to a 64 pattern frame.

What I'm curious about, is is it possible to attach the other EIS from the 82 pattern ruck (The shoulder straps/backpad/belt) to the 64 pattern frame? As a frame with a bag is useless without some way to wear it...

If it's not possible, any suggestions of alternatives?

Shoulder straps yes, kidney pad, no (straps too short). The US Alice pack kidney pad/waist belt fits fine though.

There are alot of suitable alternates to all parts.

Or sew longer straps to the 82 pattern kidney pad.They don't have to be super long,just 2" longer.Thats all I did.

http://www.wheelersonline.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=36&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

They (^) also have olive drab ladder locks and slide-release buckles (FASTEX) in stock. E-mail RECCE them to ask about order/product modifications.

The 82 Pattern Ruck yoke and quick-release straps work well with the 64 pattern frame.

IMHO, Rigger Belts make effective sleeping bag straps for your 82 Pattern or 64 Pattern Ruck.

It was tight, but I got my 82 pattern Kidney pad to fit on my 64 pattern frame. I used two gerbers to grab the straps and force them through the buckles, then pull them through the other side. Also, I only got the top strap and bottom strap connected so I just leave the middle stap done up but not attached to the frame.

I never said it was easy, but it IS possible. I'll take some pics when I get back to Pet.

Back