• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merged 64 Pattern Rucksack thread

• Thread starter PTE Gruending
  • Start date

What is the better ruck sack?

• CF Issue Rucksack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pack 64 Jump Ruck

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
sorry, i should have pointed out i can't help you with it. i've never seen one, or even the 82 yoke, i'm new, and i wanted to see them for the differences.

Ah, well in that case:

http://www.wheelersonline.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=36&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

That's the 64 pattern.  I don't know where you can get pics of an 82 though.

The 64 Ruck is probably one of the most versatile and compact pieces of kit that I have used (other than my TALON Camelbak pack) out in the field and on courses. It is surprisingly lightweight and comfortable (when paired up with the back pad available from Wheeler's website)and you can even throw your compact 1 or 2 litre camelbak on it (vice the standard 2 Litre US canteen) during LRPs or extended ruck marches and get away with it. I have heard this from many folks in jump tasked companies that it was something they wouldn't leave without (including their primary and reserve chutes of-course). It used to be standard issue as "C2 Jump Ruck" to para-tasked pers some 5 years back but don't know what the situation in with that. Nevertheless replacing the 64 ruck with the conventional one was one of the solid choices I made, especially when finishing the 48 hr 75 km Patrol I did a couple of years back, smiling and in one piece. Cheers! :cdn:

If you buy one, try using the kidney pad from a US large ALICE pack, lighter, and doesnt absorb water like those 82 pattern waist sponges.

Hatless Dancer,

Are you suggesting someone use non-issued kit? Doesn't that go against what you said in the other thread?

Yes, with the caveat that when I did it, the kit we used was truly wretched. Have you ever worn 64 patern webbing? I did, in BATUS in 81, with 20 rd mags of ball beating me death in my upper comabat shirt mag pockets.

So the explanation for using a non issued ruck is that your webbing was "horrid"?

Hey wongskc, you don't need to be parading or going in the field to use the ruck. You can go on your own for a hike or make it part of your pt session. A lot of the boys I know, when they by something new don't just wait for exercise's, they do as I just mentioned. Trial and error baby!

Hatless Dancer said:
Yes, with the caveat that when I did it, the kit we used was truly wretched. Have you ever worn 64 patern webbing? I did, in BATUS in 81, with 20 rd mags of ball beating me death in my upper comabat shirt mag pockets.

OMG the memories!!!!

Then they gace me the C2...only time i willingly wore a bra.

wongskc said:
Ah, well in that case:

http://www.wheelersonline.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=36&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

That's the 64 pattern.   I don't know where you can get pics of an 82 though.

The 64 Ruck with the Wheeler modifications works really well.  I still have the original bag on mine, but with the Wheeler yokes etc.  The original 64 webbing was pretty skimpy.  The original 64 bag is a little small, but you can put some stuff in you valise.  I take two bunjis and run them vertically from top to bottom.  They help pull everything together and are great to hold a jacket and/or rain gear for quick, easy access.

The Users Field Manual, 1982 Pattern Webbing, C-87-248-000/MB-001 shoud be available at your reserve unit.  However, ther is nothing in it that your buddies couldn't show you.

'afternoon, all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 64 rucksack from our friends at Canadian Peacekeeper, and would like some advice.

Background: I am *not* in the reserve/reg forces at the moment, but am re-applying this september for the reserve entrey scheme for (infantry) officer, here in Quebec. I would like the kit that I buy to be useable when/if I get in (although I do plan to use it for civilian travel/camping, etc, as well). That being said:

Although cadpat rucks aren't going to be issued until 2006, can the CP one I get be cadpat, and be acceptable? My basic training would be happening Summer of 2006.

Secondly--what modular components should I get? At the moment, I'm thinking of getting:

2 large utility pouches
1 shovel/waterbottle pouch (camping without webbing)
1 C9 Pocket (for mess kit, camping without webbing)
1 Compression Pouch

Although--this: http://www.wheelersonline.com/2005Catalog/Images/CPGear-Product-Pics/5007lg.jpg
setup looks pretty good and practical as well.

So, what should I go for? Is the layout in the picture, minus the cover, a good one?

Much thanks,

-D

if you arent in the military, just buy a real rucksack. i hear kifaru rocks.

Cincinnatus said:
'afternoon, all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 64 rucksack from our friends at Canadian Peacekeeper, and would like some advice.

Background: I am *not* in the reserve/reg forces at the moment, but am re-applying this september for the reserve entrey scheme for (infantry) officer, here in Quebec. I would like the kit that I buy to be useable when/if I get in (although I do plan to use it for civilian travel/camping, etc, as well). That being said:

Although cadpat rucks aren't going to be issued until 2006, can the CP one I get be cadpat, and be acceptable? My basic training would be happening Summer of 2006.

Secondly--what modular components should I get? At the moment, I'm thinking of getting:

2 large utility pouches
1 shovel/waterbottle pouch (camping without webbing)
1 C9 Pocket (for mess kit, camping without webbing)
1 Compression Pouch

Although--this: http://www.wheelersonline.com/2005Catalog/Images/CPGear-Product-Pics/5007lg.jpg
setup looks pretty good and practical as well.

So, what should I go for? Is the layout in the picture, minus the cover, a good one?

Much thanks,

-D

Although my staff on CAP weren't too strict about the gear we used on course, I'm pretty sure having some hopped up 64 pattern aftermarket ruck won't fly on course.  It's about conformity, not being an individual.  Secondly, the modular pouches aren't compatible with a 64 pattern ruck.

If you're looking for something for camping and the like, go to MEC.  Their stuff is cheaper and as good or better quality.

BTW, the new ruck isn't likely to be fielded for several years.  2006 is a pipe dream.

I woulden't worry to much about buying extra kit untill your actually in an, get some experiance an decide for yourself what you need. As for what kit is allowed, depends on the unit.

the rucksack that is in that picture of the cover, is actually their old 2004 modular rucksack, that has been replaced with their new modular packs.  It is not of the 64 pattern ruck.

and while most of the people on here slam cpgear, I like their stuff.  Of course, I am not 'using it hard', just weekends and things like that, nowhere that my life depends on it.  But I find it pretty good quality.  Of course, I don't have / can't afford a kifaru, or some of those other high-end products, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

I just wish that I had held out and gotten the new modular backpack, as the old one is not compatible to the molle/pals system of pouches.  Oh well, that is what I get for being a wanna-be kit slut, I guess :)

Quentin

First off, thanks for all the comments--in regards to basic training, aye, I'll run with whatever they give me, and in regards to the pack in the picture being a different, modular, pack--I was unaware, and so I appreciate the info.

However...I still want/need a ruck for civilian purposes, and am still torn as to what to get. the '64 pack looks so practical, and I really do like packs with a frame. However, I appreciate the modular patrol-pack, for its accessories, but am wary of being frameless, for those heavy-weight situations. Lastly--the ops pack looks amazing, but a bit expensive, and I wonder whether it is so much better than a '64 ruck, to justy a 50 dollar difference.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards teh '64 ruck, to be used for extended-period camping and hikes (week-to-2+ week treks). Two hoochies, a sleeping bag, rain gear, one large, tin, pot, hachet, water purifier, clothing, few random things, and food, are what i'm looking to pack.

As i actually like CP gear (all my old, CP, cadet kit is still holding up, 8 years later), I thought the people here might be able to give me some advice on it.

IMHO the CPgear stuff is shite. The quality is substandard compared to basically every other reputable gear maker under the sun. If you are set on the 64 setup I would look into dropzone. Their quality is good and they have the modular bag that you want, here is the link www.dropzonetactical.com . Although pricey you always get what you pay for in the gear world. If you plan on using this pack mainly for civi hiking as stated there a many much better options than the 64. www.mec.ca , or my personal favorite www.kifaru.net . Just remember when thinking about CPgear where the advice/reviews are coming from. Granted I am not reg force but still militia infantry as opposed to Cadets, or cadet officers. It seems that the only good reviews the majority of their kit gets is from those that barely use it.

My 2 Cents.
All rucksacks suck, once they are loaded with a ton of kit :-[. No matter what you buy make sure it has well padded shoulder straps and a really good waist band. I have used some expensive rucks that are total crap, and some cheap ones with good shoulder straps and waistbands that really made carrying a heavy load....less uncomfortable. Check out the gear swap at www.mec.ca, some really good deals to be had.

Back