• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

Had me right up to the Cummerbun part, god I hate those things glad no one forces use in the Armour corps to wear them.............anymore ;D

Tank Troll said:
Had me right up to the Cummerbun part, god I hate those things glad no one forces use in the Armour corps to wear them.............anymore ;D

What!  You don't like the "Crumb Catcher"?  Damn fine idea that.  After the dinner, if you have the munchies, you may find some in your cummerbund.  Who says the "good idea Faerie" didn't have some ideas come to fruition?  ;D

I'm due for a new set (I think the material keeps shrinking!) and was holding back for this message.  Might be able to get a set done by the time I go back to work.  Wonder what the cost will be though now that we have to pay for the gold stripes.  At least I can save the gold braid from the rank of my current jacket.

Strike said:
I'm due for a new set (I think the material keeps shrinking!) and was holding back for this message.  Might be able to get a set done by the time I go back to work.  Wonder what the cost will be though now that we have to pay for the gold stripes.  At least I can save the gold braid from the rank of my current jacket.

The costs of Mess Kit hasn't changed much over the years.  "Have to pay for the gold stripes"?  Ummm?  You always had to pay for Mess Kit and its accoutrements out of your own pocket.  It is up to you if you want the expensive or the cheap fabrics, ranks, buttons & bows. 

George Wallace said:
The costs of Mess Kit hasn't changed much over the years.  "Have to pay for the gold stripes"?  Ummm?  You always had to pay for Mess Kit and its accoutrements out of your own pocket.  It is up to you if you want the expensive or the cheap fabrics, ranks, buttons & bows.

The previous AF mess kit didn't have the gold stripe and the material was cheap cost-wise.  This 'new' mess kit is likely going to cost quite a bit more especially considering the cost of the gold braid and change of material.  With the previous mess kit one had the choice of having real gold braid or just yellow braid.  Pretty sure the stripes on the pants/skirts are going to be of the real variety and not the cheap yellow stuff that we have on our DEUs, hence the increased cost.

Given the similarities in design and material, my guess is that the new RCAF mess dress will be in the same price range as the RCN pattern.

Which is... ;)

Suspect the MWO and below pattern will be about..what $300? less without the gold stripe and no requirement for a fancy Capt Stubbing waistcoat?  :)

Eye In The Sky said:
Which is... ;)

Suspect the MWO and below pattern will be about..what $300? less without the gold stripe and no requirement for a fancy Capt Stubbing waistcoat?  :)

Well, using Andrei Master Tailor's pricing as an example, NCMs (save for CWO) would be looking at about a $100 increase in cost due to the material used (so approx $875-900). Officers would be looking at about $1270 minimum for 2Lts.

Rgr.  Tks.  That was a  :facepalm: moment on my part to be honest;  I was on their site earlier to see if there was any info on the new one.  SMRT!

Stonegeneral said:
Well, using Andrei Master Tailor's pricing as an example, NCMs (save for CWO) would be looking at about a $100 increase in cost due to the material used (so approx $875-900). Officers would be looking at about $1270 minimum for 2Lts.

Bought my mess kit including a white jacket for a little over $500, and that was with gold braid for the rank.  The $875-900 price seems a bit steep for the NCM mess kit.

Strike said:
Bought my mess kit including a white jacket for a little over $500, and that was with gold braid for the rank.  The $875-900 price seems a bit steep for the NCM mess kit.

It's quite possible it will turn out less in the end. I was running the math based on the pricing Andrei's has online for the Barathea naval mess kit (the closest example to the incoming RCAF version) and subtracting the cost of the vest.

Got mine from Andre's in 08 when I was promoted to Sgt it was $1200 no boots or spurs

Andrei's has pricing for the new RCAF mess kit now... Around $1350 plus tax for officers, vs $758 plus tax for the old one. Can't remember what the NCM version costs, but it's only a couple hundred bucks cheaper. The $1350 includes a $169 vest you need to buy, but I think all you need after that is to buy a shirt, whereas with the old one you needed a shirt and cummerbund. Still over a $500 difference though.

They will take orders for the old one up until sept 15... Just sayin'.

Got fitted today for the new mess kit (NCM).  Jacket and pants came to $1045.  I had a chance to look at one and they are very sharp looking and the material felt good.  However when I looked at the quote I have to admit I thought about going with the older style for a second or two.  I still had to get the rest of the EIS yet too so....but I went with the new one.  The one I looked at was for a Major;  jacket, pants and waistcoat alone was just over $1600.  I put mine on the CANEX plan, and added the shirt, suspenders, bowtie and cummerbund all to the bill.  Seems less painful that way; only leaves me with cufflinks,shirt studs and Wings to get from Joe Drouin.

I was also told that, at this time, they only have the material for the male one and not the female ???. 

I just ordered mine today...$1205 for the mess kit (SGT) + shirt, tie, suspenders and cummerbund....+ tax for a grand total of $1536  not to mention the $180 bucks in mini medals, and 100 bucks for buttons and wings....yikes  oh well I'II look sexy  :nod:....now to find somewhere to where this get up more than 4 times a year..... ;)

what's most peoples opinion on the shirt??  wing tip collar or the normal shirt collar?  both are authorized? 

I went with the Wing collar/French cuffs.  Mine was about $1450 (jacket, pants, suspenders, shirt, bowtie, cummerbund) after taxes. 

I saw some nice patent leather oxfords (SWAT IRRC) at the Canex I might pick up to finish it off.

New rank is now authorized for mess kit, at your expense.  DO not have the ref but read it last Friday.

I read it as well. Change from current to new rank is voluntary, until you get promoted.  Or demoted, I assume. 

Back