• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

wait that would actually mean I would have to speak to an other human ! TO HIS FACE !?

oh damn , keep those plastic thingy !! way simpler

*sarcasm ends here*

Privateer said:
*hijack*

In my view the CF should save a few dollars by dropping those plastic name tags completely (keep name tapes for operational clothing).  DEU's are supposed to look professional, and plastic name tags are the opposite.  If you need to know someone's name, just do the polite thing and ask.

*hijack ends*

Yep.

A question.  If Mess Dress is a mandated uniform why is it not supplied?  Why does the serviceman/woman have to purchase it
And question 2.  How many times a year on average would someone wear their Mess Dress
Just wondering

Tom

expwor said:
A question.  If Mess Dress is a mandated uniform why is it not supplied?  Why does the serviceman/woman have to purchase it
And question 2.  How many times a year on average would someone wear their Mess Dress
Just wondering

Tom

It is "highly recommended" for officers to purchase it.  It is optional for NCMs.

It is worn as often as there are events requiring it to be worn.

George Wallace said:
It is "highly recommended" for officers to purchase it.  It is optional for NCMs.

Eye In The Sky said:
From CFP 265 - Canadian Forces Dress Instructions, Chapter 2, Section 1, 'Wear Of Mess Dress', Article/Para 57:

57. Acquisition

a.  All Regular Force officers are required to be in possession of mess dress No. 2, which shall be procured at individual expense. Newly-commissioned officers are required to obtain this order of dress not later than six months after commissioning.

It is mandatory for Officers.

Ya, as an officer, I loved so much (lots of sarcasm) having to drop money on something that I "might" wear once a year.  I've never understood why it was mandatory, especially considering the cost of the mess kits.  I believe that if it is mandatory it should be claimable.

I can count on my ten fingers the number of times that I have worn my mess kit in 15 years of Reg Force service.  That's the frequency of it being worn.

My advice for those that it is not mandatory, don't buy it.  Just wear the DEUs as per the other posts above.  Spend your hard earned money on your family instead.

See.  Now, if you had a nice scarlet jacket, and spurs on your Wellingtons, and wandered off to the bars after a Mess Dinner......Then you would see the advantage of purchasing Mess Kit.  >:D

dapaterson said:
...in the Regular Force.  Not the Reserve Force.

And I believe krimynal is a reservist, applying for OT and CT.

Anyway....

Maybe I'm just invited to more dinners, but I used to wear my Army Mess Kit, on average, 3-5 times a year. Bought it as a Cpl and wore it until I retired as a MWO. It saw lots of use and like George says, scarlet jacket, black vest, overalls instead of pants and wellingtons w\ spurs make you a chick magnet. Even for someone as ugly as me.

I will second Recceguy... I wear mine 3-5 times a year on average.  I cannot think of a year since commissioning (less those deployed) that I did not wear it at least three times in a year.  I guess it is somewhat dependent where you are posted and service customs and traditions. 

Cheers,

MC

Scoobs said:
Ya, as an officer, I loved so much (lots of sarcasm) having to drop money on something that I "might" wear once a year.  I've never understood why it was mandatory, especially considering the cost of the mess kits.  I believe that if it is mandatory it should be claimable.

I can count on my ten fingers the number of times that I have worn my mess kit in 15 years of Reg Force service.  That's the frequency of it being worn.

My advice for those that it is not mandatory, don't buy it.  Just wear the DEUs as per the other posts above.  Spend your hard earned money on your family instead.

At least your DCO hasn't made you buy a $1500 sword that gets used once every 2 years despite the fact that Full Dress Stores has about 25 perfectly good ones down there for signing out for such occasions!

I wear my mess kit on average twice per year, that's for mandatory events. The opportunities have been there to wear it at other non-mandatory events but I didn't attend those.

I wore my mess dress probably 10 times in the last 11 years.  In Bagtown and Cold Laks anyways, there is generally 1 mess diner a year and not everybody can go (not enough room). 

At least I wore it more than my DEUs!  I think I wear it on average once every second year.  I always end up doing the fly past or on alert during parades.

I've never understood people's objection to buying mess dress.  We tout ourselves as "professionals" on par with lawyers, doctors, businessmen, etc, but then complain when it comes time to pay for the priviledge.  In any other professional field, folks are expected to have  far more expensive wardrobe than ours, that is neither issued nor tax deductible either.  We are lucky in that we now only have to buy one set of clothes.  There was a time when officers had to buy all of their dress uniforms.  Although I will concede that it would be nice if mess dress was issued, I fear then that the quality of it would degrade rapidly.  I sometimes wish we bought all of our dress uniforms for no other reason than I could then control the quality better.  One of the postive aspects of the executive curl returning to all RCN uniforms is that it has forced the supply system to provide quality braid as opposed to the cheap plastic crap we used prior.

On average, I've worn mess dress at least twice per year for the last 28 years and many years, many times more.  In fact, I am no longer wearing a single piece of my original one.  I'm on my second set of trousers and jacket (i.e. four jackets because I have both white and blue ones), at least the third waistcoat and I've lost count on the shirts.  Requirements for mess dress increase considerably on foreign postings and I've even gotten myself a tuxedo for some mess events.

The only junior NCMs I've ever known to have mess dress are those who started officer training and reverted, or those who got it for their weddings (not strictly correct unless the wedding is in the evening, but I'm not going to quibble).  It's certainly not required.  It's not required for Reserve officers either, but most of the ones I've known have gotten it eventually (largely because it looks so nice!).

I think we largely wear plastic nametags because the Americans do.  They certainly never existed on pre-unification dress uniforms.  Even with the old (traditional?) CF green uniform, S3 (i.e. daily wear service dress) included nametags; however, S1 specifically excluded them.  In other words, we wore nametags with ribbons, but not with medals (although we were often given the order of dress for parades as "S1 with nametags").

One of my great laments in the modern CAF is that we have slobbed down quite a bit.  I simply cannot understand why we wear out the most expensive uniforms in our inventory (i.e. CADPAT and NCDs) sitting at desks in climate-controlled environments.  Not only is it wasteful, I think it looks unprofessional.  Maybe I'm a dinosaur though...

I'll echo Pusser's comment about wearing mess dress more on foreign postings.  On this posting I've worn it at least 3 times per year (Spring Ball, Autumn Ball and End-of-Year Dining-In) and usually also the Defence Charity Ball. 

I feel like I've finally got my money's worth out of it  :nod:

Pusser said:
One of my great laments in the modern CAF is that we have slobbed down quite a bit.  I simply cannot understand why we wear out the most expensive uniforms in our inventory (i.e. CADPAT and NCDs) sitting at desks in climate-controlled environments.  Not only is it wasteful, I think it looks unprofessional.  Maybe I'm a dinosaur though...

Agree with you 100%.
I'm at MARPAC HQ. I cannot fathom why the lads and lassies at ACCE(P) and JRCC are all wearing flight suits. The lads at J3(Land) and METOC wearing CADPAT and a group of RCN officers, C&PO's and Rates who wear NCD's. Really!?! Are you going to be piloting plane, roll in the dirt, or go into action dress in a moments notice at all during your posting there?
End rant!

Pusser said:

When I left MARLANT in 2011, while posted ashore, PO2/Sgts and up wore No. 3B order of dress for work dress and received 600 points a year, for up keep, through logistik unicorps.  I guess this is no longer the case.

On a side note my No. 1C and D (High Collar Whites)  were a big hit at the last mess dinner I attended in June '14.  I have never had so many compliments on my uniform.  But the whites really are a sharp look!

I fully agree with your sentiments Pusser. 

PMedMoe said:
And I believe krimynal is a reservist, applying for OT and CT.

Anyway....

yes I am a reservist applying for OT and CT to Reg force AWS Tech

Off topic.  I concur with Pusser and FSTO, but as I'm frequently reminded I am a dinosaur.  My dress of the day is CADPAT but I'm not in a field unit and I'm posted in Ottawa.  I believe that I should be wearing DEU 3B / 3C.  I have made my thoughts known to the chain of command however I'm not pushing this because this is a maintenance free uniform, except for polishing the boots, and this is not a fight worth pursuing.  Besides, being in the NCR now I've learnt that it really is a pain in the backsides to get my accoutrements updated and use the tailoring services at CFSU(O) clothing stores.

On topic.  Unless you're a bandsman or someone who frequently attend formal evening events than I believe that no Jr NCM or Sgt should consider buying mess kit. Of course if you've just finished a tour and want to burn money then fill your boots.

Back