• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Met Tech Info?

M

Macklinen

Hey everyone. I'd just like to know if anyone here is a meteorologist, or if anyone knows one, in the forces, i mean. Does anyone know what education level u have to have, the req'mts, etc.? or does Anyone have a site with the info that you could recommend?thnx

Hello again, try this site, not sure if you found it already or not.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/airforce/jobs_e.aspx

It's under NCM regular force, meteorology technician

Have you thought about University? If you're thinking of a military career, you'll make more money as an officer, plus you can get your university paid for.  Just some food for thought.

Cheers

Thanx inch. I've been to that site, i didnt know that u could take university, through the forces. Ill definately look into it. Its been a lifelong dream to be a pilot, or in the forces at that. again thnx!

Good day , first time posting I am  a Meteorological Technician Here in the Canadian Armed Forces. As far as being an Officer in the Met trade well there is no such thing......... but there is the Met Tech Trade that can be both interesting and challenging at the same time. Some knowledge of Physics will help you out along the way and helps to be good in math, and being able to work long hours by yourself

Hi IceBlue maybe you or someone else might be able to tell us what the postings are like, you already answered my other question about it being an interesting trade. Thanks for the info.

Hmmm.... meteorologists?

need blindfold, dartboard, datrs and a lot of luck :)

(sorry - couldn't resist :))

geo said:
Hmmm.... meteorologists?

need blindfold, dartboard, datrs and a lot of luck :)

(sorry - couldn't resist :))

Dice are good too...

its the only trade where u can be wrong (lie)........and its not your fault

and if your dart board is in the shop for repairs.........

use a Loonie (you got a 50/50 chance of getting it right)

:)

Hey.. i just finished basic and i'm headin to CFSMET Winnipeg in january, and i have NO idea what to expect!!  Anyone who has done the MET tech course, what am i getting myself into!? and whats life like on the Winnipeg base?? cold i would imagine this time of year!
any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated !!

~ Downey

January in the 'Peg will be cold and cold.  The base is rather small and compact so no worries about long walks in the snow drifts.  If you have a car and intend on bringing it there, make sure your block heater is in working order.

WeatherGirl09 said:
Hey.. i just finished basic and i'm headin to CFSMET Winnipeg in january, and i have NO idea what to expect!!  Anyone who has done the MET tech course, what am i getting myself into!? and whats life like on the Winnipeg base?? cold i would imagine this time of year!
any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated !!

~ Downey

I was at CFANS last winter, which is on the second floor of the same building as CFSMET .  The base is very small and the quarters where you will be staying are not that great.  The gym is just ouside the base but is pretty nice.  The people on the MET Tech course that were there at the time were a pretty busy bunch i can tell you that and seemed to enjoy what they were doing.  Some of them were nice enough to help us out during our MET phase.  Winnipeg itself isnt bad, lots of bars to chose from (if you are nice to the staff at Palomino's they will let you drink for free !!) and lots of other things to do depending on what you are into.  If you can go there with a car it will be alot better but the city has a transit service and after a while you will not venture out too far anyways.  palomino's is a 12 dollar cab ride away and the mall, Polo park is just a bit less than that.  if you make it into Hooters , make sure you are nice....there's one there thats not shy about yelling at customers !!!

nice city, when it isn't -40, or +30 with hell mosquitos.

Car is nice, as the base is a little out of the way from downtown.

I just visited a friend in winnipeg while on leave who is waiting for his MET Tech course to start. His starts in April I think. Anyway he had his own room with a double bed, TV with free cable (All provided and paid for), and his own sink. And it's a single room, no roomates. And thats his room for the whole course. The base is about five minuets from the biggest mall in winnipeg, so no worries there.

Some of the shacks are very nice - the hotel style ones in particular.

And that 5mins....by car yes, a hefty walk.

I just wanted to ask a question about being a Met Tech.  I was wondering if anyone knows how long it might be before I get a tour overseas?  Or what travel opportunities are available.  Haven't seen too many posts about the Met Tech position.  If there are more than the one I've seen pls give me directions. :-\

for a MET tech to go overseas, you have to be at least a corporal. Privates rarely go on tours.

Anybody here working as a MET TECH. Any info on that trade etc?
Thanks.

Back