• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Met Tech Info?

cadet said:
Thanks for your reply, BernDawg. I am posted to Cold Lake,and have tons and tons of questions.
Prices..They say, groceries are "expensive"...Is it true?
Car insurance - which companies are most affordable?
PMQ? Which ones are "good", which ones are not?
Schools - are they on base or off base? Buses?

I should stop by now...:) If you answer at least part of my questions, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

OK from the top...
Groceries are not too bad in relation to the rest of the world.  Some things a a little higher and some things are a little lower.  Remember no prov tax!
I go with the personal and I pay less than $300/mo for 2 cars, a trailer and my house
I have no opinion on the Q's as I live off base but I hear the Martineau is the place to be.
There's a couple schools on base but I think they are moving off.  You have to confirm as my kids go to the school down the road from the house.  I f they have to bus then I don't think you have to pay and the cut off is 1.5km (I think).  If you mean public transit that plan washed out this summer after a 6 mo trial and no use/profit.

Good luck and feel free to ask more if you wish
Bern
ps when are you posted?

Thanks for your reply. I am going on HHT in about 2 weeks,so,I will find out in person all ins and outs of this place.
They expect me to be on the job around 23d of July.

Are you a met.tech. too?

Nope I'm a carpenter but I work in the CE contracts cell spending the Queens money on improving the base.  A couple of friends of mine are and you'll be working for one of them when he gets back from the sandbox the other has gone East to the ships.  They both love their jobs and working in Cold Lake.  You'll do tons of observing and recording the phone in met rep so be prepped for long shifts doing what you're trained to do. 
Feel free to come look me up if you have time, like I said I'm over at CE in B-7 but I'll be away until the end of the month and I'll be gone by Aug 16th to Comox.

Besides  posting
Id like to  know  basics of the trade.
What kind of side arms are used.
What are the  duties of a private?
are mets sent on  tours or more taskings ( ships and  Alert)
Since they  made it an  airforce trade  how will mets interact with the other elemenets ( artillery , naval ect)
Are there Mets in  Kandahar right now?
and above all 
Do the  ladies  get the  cute  blue DU's with the  skirt (very important)  :p

metgirl said:
Besides  posting
Id like to  know  basics of the trade.
What kind of side arms are used.
What are the  duties of a private?
are mets sent on  tours or more taskings ( ships and  Alert)
Since they  made it an  airforce trade  how will mets interact with the other elemenets ( artillery , naval ect)
Are there Mets in  Kandahar right now?
and above all 
Do the  ladies  get the  cute  blue DU's with the  skirt (very important)  :p

Are you serious????

well the  DEU  question not so serious, 
but yes I was wondering about the  rest,

Just to give you a little info, Artillery is not an element.  The CF has three:  Air Force, Navy and Army.
Can't help you on the rest, sorry.  :-X

I know artillery isnt an element.  BUT  since there is NO LONGER an ability to  enter  met tech as  land  how do they intergrate the  two  I mean you  wouldn't  do an SQ .

That aside :D  I'm  really anxious and intrested in all the info i can  get

also  ,  Ive been  trying to  find a cap badge  of CFSMET  the googled one is tiny and looks like an upside down  red fan.

PMedMoe said:
Just to give you a little info, Artillery is not an element.  The CF has three:  Air Force, Navy and Army.
Can't help you on the rest, sorry.  :-X

Then why are you posting on this forum??? seriously I have read a lot of your posts and they are NEVER constuctive.  She has never been in the military or she wouldnt be asking these questions. And you have???  You have 18 years in prob 3 as reg couldnt hack it then you went TOON. I have time in as RCR now im a trafic tech 15 years total.  Your still only a MCPL you mustve did your PLQ in the 70s.  Anyway this is a place for people to ask questions and to get some answers to prepare them for their military career.  I am glad you are not in my trade anymore i can imagine you tryin to load plan a herc LOL!!  Anyways enjoy posting here for the moment i have a feeling that is going to change.

bottlestotheground said:
Then why are you posting on this forum??? seriously I have read a lot of your posts and they are NEVER constuctive.  She has never been in the military or she wouldnt be asking these questions. And you have???  You have 18 years in prob 3 as reg couldnt hack it then you went TOON. I have time in as RCR now im a trafic tech 15 years total.  Your still only a MCPL you mustve did your PLQ in the 70s.  Anyway this is a place for people to ask questions and to get some answers to prepare them for their military career.  I am glad you are not in my trade anymore i can imagine you tryin to load plan a herc LOL!!  Anyways enjoy posting here for the moment i have a feeling that is going to change.

Well!  Well!  Well!

That gets you puts you straight into an Introduction to the Warning System.

On this acount or his "TrueSoldier" ::) account, George?

Let's stick to the topic at hand, everyone.

Army.ca Staff

Met Techs do deploy to Afghanistan, I'm sitting on a gun line there right now.

Hi. I realize this thread has been dormant for a while but i have a question about the met tech trade. It's kind of specific though and i don't know if anyone has any experience with it or not. I'm about to do a component/element transfer from a reserve combat engineer unit to met tech. I'm currently a cpl with my unit and upon consulting with the recruiting centre was told that i have enough class b time to keep my rank when i go reg force. Does anyone know if they will try to speed up how soon i get my QL5A done so that i'm cpl qualified in my new trade (assuming that QL5 is the cpl qualification. i'm not sure but with my current trade that's the standard.) or if they will just give me my QL3 and i'll have to wait the regular amount of time to get my QL5? Also is the QL5 usually done after the first posting is completed? And finally does anyone know when the next QL3 is starting up? Thanks!

I can answer some of your questions for you.

The current setup has the QL5A being run only as bodies are needed for ships. So being a CPL may speed things up, but things are too uncertain right now for a definite yes. The entire Met trade is in the middle of a huge restructure with jobs and qualifications being shuffled down the chain. This means that right now we don't even have our new QL3 Training Plan finished, the school is working on it as I type. The only QL3 planned in the near future with any certainty is in August, but they don't have the length figured out so everything after that is up in the air.

I hope that helped a little, if you have any more questions feel free to ask away, I'm lurking around the forums quite a bit.

well  in truth ...the met trade is  getting really exciting..they are smoshing 3's-and 5's  together to make TATICAL BALLISTICAL METS cool  eh! but im waiting  for course  to start  . the 2007  ql's were postponed....

OJTing  its awesome 

Plus  they  are adding to the policy we may need to do an sq first (damn it)

so what will this "smoshing" do to the course length any idea? and what exactly will the "tactical ballistical mets" do compared to what the met techs do now? any difference really? and the sq doesn't concern me much since i'm army right now anyone and won't have to redo it (luckily). i was wondering how you could be posted with an artillery unit without an sq anyway so that makes more sense i think. do you have a date for your course is starting up?

For starters, the course is not the old QL3 and QL5 combined. Some topics will be the same, but it will not simply be a combination of the two old courses. Secondly The Tac Met is a portable weather station used in the field when deployed with the guns, not a trade qualification. The Upper Air course was an old specialty course, and on that course you learned to launch weather balloons for the purpose of creating ballistic Met messages.

I don't want to come across as a jerk, but stick to what you know please.

The new QL3s will be briefer/observer techs. There job will be to both observe surface weather conditions, and give weather briefings for operations.  The course length still hasn't be nailed yet as far as I know, but things are changing daily with the school.  I went on tour with no SQ and I can say that it would have been nice to have the extra training.

Back