• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military NHL Discounts - Not in Canada

heracles

Inactive
Reaction score
How's this this for sad.  No NHL teams in Canada offering a discount on regular tickets during the hockey season, but the Boston Bruins are giving their discount for American soldiers to Canadian Soldiers and Veterans as well.  They have a banner on www.cfdiscounts.ca.  An AMERICAN team will support CANADIAN soldiers but a CANADIAN team won't.  Sad sad sad.

Can anyone really say they're surprised the Leafs aren't willing to give up money?

Don't be so quick to judge. The Oilers have given away loads of tickets to the MFRC. There may be no outright discount at the games, but the team supports the Garrison whole heartedly. I would be surprised if there wasn't some similar, low key support from the other teams.

The Ottawa Senator organization has been supporting the Troops for years now.  They have had "Support the Troops" Game Nights where free tickets have been given to the Troops.  Ottawa Season Ticket holders have gotten together and donated their seats for some of these games.  I don't think what Boston has done is unique, nor reflects poorly on Canadian Teams.  They have gone and supported the Troops like many other teams; only they implemented a different method to do so.

Toronto Maple leafs have done the same thing as the Sens this year and past year reguarding game tickets. By the sounds of it most Canadian NHL teams have jumped on the support band wagon, in one form or another.

The Calgary Flames routinely have support the troops nights, free tickets through MFRC and a great big dedication/tribute before the game starts

ArtyNewbie said:
The Calgary Flames routinely have support the troops nights, free tickets through MFRC and a great big dedication/tribute before the game starts

Didn't the Flames only give a few hundred seats last time?  Compared to thousands in Edmonton?

I remember reading the details for the military night.  I realize the dedication/tributes occur, but I would think there would be more tickets available in Calgary.  Especially since the cost of attending games here is so high.

...and if one thinks of it from a business standpoint, discounted seats are better than empty seats, and most American teams have more of those to play with.

George Wallace said:
The Ottawa Senator organization has been supporting the Troops for years now.  They have had "Support the Troops" Game Nights where free tickets have been given to the Troops.  Ottawa Season Ticket holders have gotten together and donated their seats for some of these games.  I don't think what Boston has done is unique, nor reflects poorly on Canadian Teams.  They have gone and supported the Troops like many other teams; only they implemented a different method to do so.

Im a diehard leafs fan but I can dig it...

There was a HNIC Crew that came to kandahar for our tour (my coy was lucky enough to happen to be in the camp that night  ;D). Another time in the summer, like July maybe, some ottawa senators players actually came to kandahar and played with some guys in the ball hockey rink. I met ron tugnutt on the HNIC night though, and Bob Probert lol hilarious guy.
The senators sent over a bunch of stuff too like hats and jerseys and things... no real bearing or help to us over there but the thought and the effort was appreciated.

I was passing through Tampa Bay a while ago, and some of the guys I was hanging with got free tickets just before game time in the 200's to a Lightning game, just by showing thier Mil ID...

again, discounted seats much better than empty seats.

Yeaf, went to Boston with the ship last year and was given excellent cheap seats from the USO to a game. They also gave us cheap tickets to NBA and baseball games as well when we go there. Too bad we don't have something similar to the USO here in Canada. :'(

It pains me to hear that the Canucks have yet to do something similar. Maybe I am just missing something, but there seems to be some form of support in nearly every other city but Vancouver :-\.

Didn't the Sens owner donate a whole bunch of gear/sticks/etc to Kandahar for the ball hockey tournament? I think something like that is super cool, and needs to happen more often.

Mark, you're in BC... the place for Canadians to hug trees, smoke weed, and rail against "the man" for fighting an illegal war in Iraq; what else would you expect?

Dog said:
Mark, you're in BC... the place for Canadians to hug trees, smoke weed, and rail against "the man" for fighting an illegal war in Iraq; what else would you expect?

Well at the very least, some sort of recognition to our wonderful troops at home and overseas. Regardless of what we do here in our province people should understand that there are others, far more kind and careing than we think we in BC may be, who are willing to die so that we may smoke our pot and hug our trees and rail against "the man" like no tomorrow.

A free hockey game... hell even a HALF PRICED hockey game for our local men and women would be nice... but for some reason, I just dont see it happening and that saddens me. :'(

megsy said:
Didn't the Flames only give a few hundred seats last time?  Compared to thousands in Edmonton?

I remember reading the details for the military night.  I realize the dedication/tributes occur, but I would think there would be more tickets available in Calgary.  Especially since the cost of attending games here is so high.

What the fuck is up with members of the CF these days??

Your post is bullshit and is akin to the bitching going on about Via rail.

What the hell makes you think that we should even be entitled to MORE discounted tickets, let alone any at all?

Some people, who should be appreciative of all the goodies being "given/discounted" really need to learn to be graceful and say "Thank you" instead of bitching and moaning about how even THAT is not enough.

This is all friggin' embarassing if you ask me. Disgusting actually. Get a grip people.

Just say "thank you" and carry on. You volunteered for this service. You want free gimmes and gucci handbags then you've got the wrong job, become an actor in Hollywood and visit any party/awards show to obtain your free "gift basket" of cell phones, diamonds, designer clothing etc.

Lately, I've seen way too many unappreciative hands biting the ones that feed them. It's all a pretty sad state of affairs.

Actually the Canucks did have a military appreciation night with Gen Hillier in attendance as well. Not sure how the info was disseminated at other units in the area but it was basically fare game for anyone who wanted to go from my unit from what I recall. I never went (much to my regret) but I heard the stories, and it sounded like a pretty sweet deal. Show up in uniform, in a private suite with an open bar. Something about ending up at the Shark Club hangin with Dave Foley... Big Rudy can correct me if I'm wrong in any way as he was there.

ArmyVern said:
What the frig is up with members of the CF these days??

Your post is bullshit and is akin to the bitching going on about Via rail.

What the hell makes you think that we should even be entitled to MORE discounted tickets, let alone any at all?

Some people, who should be appreciative of all the goodies being "given/discounted" really need to learn to be graceful and say "Thank you" instead of bitching and moaning about how even THAT is not enough.

This is all friggin' embarassing if you ask me. Disgusting actually. Get a grip people.

Just say "thank you" and carry on. You volunteered for this service. You want free gimmes and gucci handbags then you've got the wrong job, become an actor in Hollywood and visit any party/awards show to obtain your free "gift basket" of cell phones, diamonds, designer clothing etc.

Lately, I've seen way too many unappreciative hands biting the ones that feed them. It's all a pretty sad state of affairs.

I concur!! (She hates that!!)

Well said Vern - wish I had read this post back in March!! Bunch of smoofties!!

Back