• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military would be better to focus on coastline: Layton

never mind defending democracy or freedom to walk the street's without plane's falling out of the sky. Heaven help anybody who steal's our Cod !! What next ? Declare war on anybody who isn't a Canadian hockey team that might walk off with our beloved Stanley Cup ??

Odin

cdnaviator said:
Fair enough...so what do we have in afghanistan that can do the patrolling job here ?

Maybe Jack thinks RCR stands for Royal Coastal Regiment? 
(with apologies to the Royal Canadian Regiment)

Probably plays well on the West Coast, a traditional NDP stronghold and the East Coast which was becoming more of a three way political landscape.

he is going for the fringe voters......

I agree.  I have no love for this particular individual, but I surmise that within his position, he is required to appeal to the fringe core, or risk losing substantial support within his own party.  I feel the funny thing about the NDP is that they seem to realize that the only way they can actually make inroads is to move to a more centrist platform (which was sort of done during the last election, and it brought them some small gains), yet this strategy, which truly is the only way to make gains, is rejected by the fringe (which despite being called 'fringe' I suspect is quite a large component of the party itself).  Never destined for power for sure, but I wish there were some comparable loud voices from the other parties to cancel out Jack's nonesense.

The really funny thing is he was one of the guys laughing at Harper for wanting to have armed ice breakers built to do sovereignty patrols in the Arctic. Which is it Jack? You want us to do home security or not.....try not to suck and blow at the same time...it's not working.  :rage:

Jack Layton's big advantage is that he can target an interest group and promise them anything in exchange for their votes.  The NDP will never form a government and are a lot like the cheapskate nations that promise one thing and then expect the Anglosphere to do the real heavy lifting.

Our Prime Minister has shown amazing character and integrity.  As the old The Fixx song goes, he 'does what he says and says what he means'.  He has not sugar coated the problems and understands that there are upsides to tough issues, which is why Condie Rice was so effusive in her praise for Canada.  I wouldn't be surprised if the softwood deal wasn't resolved soon totally in Canada's favour.

To sum up Jack in three words - Exuberant but Vacuous!

The Bloc already has indicated they will support the softwood lumber deal...so no problem.

Harper's problem is going to be to keep the Canadian Voting Public focused on the ball. The Liberals are doing a terrible job diverting their short attention span, but the NDP have been garnering the soundbites...which will be used in the upcoming election campaign. They are setting the stage, as it were.

Mr Layton also seem to be ignorant of the fact that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans already has uniformed, armed Fishery Officers:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communic/fish_man/office/Fishery_Officer_e.htm#THE%20TRAINING%20PROGRAM

THE CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
# Carry and use firearms and other restricted and prohibited weapons;
# Meet the DFO use of force proficiency standards;
# Wear a uniform and required protective clothing...

THE TRAINING PROGRAM
...The last 8 weeks component of the training is delivered at the R.C.M.P. Academy in Regina...

These officers are carried at sea on their enforcement duties by the Canadian Coast Guard (see Offshore and Mid-shore Patrol Vessels).
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/fleet-flotte/vessels-navires/main_e.asp

Perhaps if Mr Layton ever finds out about this scandalous paramilitary reality he will disarm the Fishery Officers and transfer their duties to Canadian Army personnel, recently returned from Afstan.

Mark
Ottawa

"Dealing with the fishing fleets off our coastline who are coming in and destroying the ecosystems that in many ways provide the livelihood for our coastal communities. That has a place for both the Coast Guard and possibly the military and the navy," he said...
The military and the navy?

FSTO said:
The cluelessness of the media is quite breathtaking sometimes.
Actually, the article attributes the words to Mr Layton.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2006/09/13/nb-laytonfishing.html

MCG said:
Actually, the article attributes the words to Mr Layton.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2006/09/13/nb-laytonfishing.html

I stand by my post because the media doesn't have the brains to question people on their obviously idiotic line of thinking.

That explains why the Leopards are actually getting ready, the Ldsh are transferring to MarCom and preparing for an armoured patrol of the Grand Banks.  They are just waiting for those really long snorkels to be delivered.

rmacqueen said:
That explains why the Leopards are actually getting ready, the Ldsh are transferring to MarCom and preparing for an armoured patrol of the Grand Banks.  They are just waiting for those really long snorkels to be delivered.

We would welcome the extra hulls down here. Under the new Joint Task Force concept it's probably a feasible idea....the burning question for me is...would the Tank crews wear CADPAT or Naval Combats? ;D

What about a mixture of CADPAT and Naval uniforms, with little fishies embroidered here and there to really fit in with the environment.

This is reminding me too much of a swim camp I did with the cougars.  We all made fake sailor hats and put a skull and crossbone flag on the antennae.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
We would welcome the extra hulls down here. Under the new Joint Task Force concept it's probably a feasible idea....the burning question for me is...would the Tank crews wear CADPAT or Naval Combats? ;D

Are any of those dual drive Shermans still around  :D

Back