• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister Anand announces investment of up to $3.7 billion to supply operational clothing and footwear to the Canadian Armed Forces

I think people mistake "old" with "historic", resulting in old buildings with no real historic value being "preserved" at the expense of building modern, efficient, and useful buildings.

Or, people thinking because it is "historic" it is worth the money, like the historian in the article I posted saying "it is worth the time and money".

From a military perspective, I don't agree at all. If NS/HRM wants to take the bldg on, then take it on. If it's worth the money, then sink provincial and municipal $ into the blgs...but I bet the voters at those level don't want to see the money spent there where it can actually benefit people elsewhere.

We are pretty stupid about some things in this country of ours.

I actually saw the ghost in the old Work Point Officer‘s Mess. A subaltern, in a early 1900’s scarlet uniform (fully transparent- I could see the wall through him). Got to say, it was not really scary, so much as just…interesting. I asked him to please move along so I could get some sleep and he did.
It’s funny, I always thought seeing a ghost would scare the heck out of me.

Several years ago, when my grandfather on my dad’s side passed away, we kept his urn at our house for a few months.

The idea was to ship his urn to England to be buried beside his brother, but shipping urns is more expensive than one may realize, so his urn stayed at our house for a while.

Specifically, it stayed in my dad’s office which was in the basement. My bedroom was also in the basement on the opposite side. From my bed, I could see out my bedroom door straight to his office.

One night, the light outside my bedroom door turned on. It woke me up, as I wasn’t expecting to have light shining in my face in the middle of the night, and thought one if my parents was coming downstairs for some reason…

But as I opened my eyes and looked down towards my door, I could clearly see my grandfather standing in my dad’s office right beside his urn. He walked right towards my bedroom door until he got to the basement stairs, then turned and went up the stairs.

(I know I wasn’t dreaming because I eventually had to get up and turn that light back off)

I thought I’d be terrified if I ever clearly saw a ghost. Turns out it was just…yeah. Interesting. Wasn't freaked out at all.

But, how much money is being sunk into buildings that aren't really worth the cost? Halifax Armouries comes to mind; designated historical building and all but...

The last unit is moving out of there soon.

Its getting a complete internal overhaul now. And boyo it needs it. I just did a SIV there. Disgusting. I'm pretty sure we have laws against housing convicted inmates in places like that.

The last unit is moving out of there soon.

Its getting a complete internal overhaul now. And boyo it needs it. I just did a SIV there. Disgusting. I'm pretty sure we have laws against housing convicted inmates in places like that.
Not that long ago I saw a base-wide email saying “don’t drink the water in XX hangar” followed a day later by “the water is now safe because the WComd has accepted the risk”. I’ll bring my own water, thanks.

I actually saw the ghost in the old Work Point Officer‘s Mess. A subaltern, in a early 1900’s scarlet uniform (fully transparent- I could see the wall through him). Got to say, it was not really scary, so much as just…interesting. I asked him to please move along so I could get some sleep and he did.
Probably the ghost of a young English gentleman officer with dreams of adventure in the Empire, but got posted to some sleepy colonial backwater instead. ;)

I think I heard the announcement is the establishment of some NATO Office in Halifax. Can anyone confirm ?

As much as I like heritage buildings, there are times when they must be modernized or are no longer fit for purpose and must be demolished.

I once rented a suite in a heritage house in Vic West (apparently it’s a crime to refer to the area as West Victoria or Victoria West). The hippy landlord complained to me that heritage house regulations said she was not allowed to replace old fixtures, windows, doors, etc. to make it more energy efficient, or nicer. Hence the drafty windows and 90 year old bathtub. 😖

Not that long ago I saw a base-wide email saying “don’t drink the water in XX hangar” followed a day later by “the water is now safe because the WComd has accepted the risk”. I’ll bring my own water, thanks.
I think the wording was actually “not unsafe”

As much as I like heritage buildings, there are times when they must be modernized or are no longer fit for purpose and must be demolished.

I once rented a suite in a heritage house in Vic West (apparently it’s a crime to refer to the area as West Victoria or Victoria West). The hippy landlord complained to me that heritage house regulations said she was not allowed to replace old fixtures, windows, doors, etc. to make it more energy efficient, or nicer. Hence the drafty windows and 90 year old bathtub. 😖

Oh, for a second there I thought you were talking about the ancient 'brickworks' a.k.a. CFB Esquimalt ;)

I don't understand why Halifax and not near the big tech hubs in ON?
Article says lots of tech startups out there, plus a bunch of colleges and universities, and a big military base.

I hadn't realized til I looked it up, but sounds like Halifax has actually been pushing really hard to become a tech hub.

Article says lots of tech startups out there, plus a bunch of colleges and universities, and a big military base.

I hadn't realized til I looked it up, but sounds like Halifax has actually been pushing really hard to become a tech hub.

Halifax is booming.

It's completely out grown it's infrastructure in the last few years.

Until the Maritime employee's realize its not 6 months working and 6 months EI.....

Until the Maritime employee's realize its not 6 months working and 6 months EI.....

It's really interesting to see the clash of the historical lazy maritimer culture and the new drive the body shoot the foot culture.

Particularly in Halifax. Lots of the born and bred locals are very upset with the change of pace.

Last edited:
Back