• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister says Canada‘s soldiers are ‘going to take a rest‘

Which means no more money for the forces. Just rest. Oh goody.

Geez, nice time to rest...I‘m sure guys fighting their way up Italy in 1944 were thinking the same thing. While our historic Allies are going through a war that will define the course of the 21st centurey we decide to sit it out....

Maybe if the Forces weren‘t neglected since the ‘60s and if we were sent on meaningful, decisive missions rather than on backstage operations which serve to cover up said neglect, we wouldn‘t have this problem in the first place. Our troops will do a good job where ever we are commited, so why waste our efforts.

Not dumping on the MND...he inherited a leaky vessel and a new White Paper is a step in the right direction.

I agree with you Infanteer but this day was inevitable. All the old guys are retiring and now the army is scrambling to get new recruits, to carry on with the increasing tempo. However, all of the guys are overseas and can't train these young recruits just ask the company of QL2's sitting in Borden. Unfortunately, the Commander of 1 CMBG is right when he says that â Å“it's time to get our house in orderâ ?, it is embarrassing, but true. I think that we are used of being embarrassed in the international community anyways.

So does this mean we are pulling out of our current missions, or just not taking on any new ones?

I for one am glad they are cutting back our commitments oversea‘s which will free up some much needed troops to support all the taskings that come up esp. during the summer months.

Vote in anyone but the current gang...makes my head spin.

But our new Defence Minister is from the old gang. That put us in our current predicament.

Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] Geez, nice time to rest...I‘m sure guys fighting their way up Italy in 1944 were thinking the same thing. While our historic Allies are going through a war that will define the course of the 21st centurey we decide to sit it out....

Maybe if the Forces weren‘t neglected since the ‘60s and if we were sent on meaningful, decisive missions rather than on backstage operations which serve to cover up said neglect, we wouldn‘t have this problem in the first place. Our troops will do a good job where ever we are commited, so why waste our efforts.

Not dumping on the MND...he inherited a leaky vessel and a new White Paper is a step in the right direction. [/qb]
Infan. I think he has made a very good choice.

Even back in 95/97 I saw so many good Snr. Sapper‘s leave the Engineer‘s because of lack support and help when they came home and when they did they were back in the Field with in a month supporting the F.X.‘s that were scheduled for that year and going on Tour again.

Just check out 1 C.E.R.‘s Tour‘s since 91!

The Engineer‘s suffer the most!
Why?

So Few to support so many!!!

Prior to the Yugo Blow Up

On full Brigade Ex.‘s every one by passed the Engineer‘s and made fun of us!
F‘n Thumper Head‘s

All of a sudden who‘s every bodies best friend?

The Sapper!!

Why?

Mine‘s,UXO‘s,Booby Trap‘s,Route Recce‘s etc.

We are not perfect but we do our best to keep you alive.

Remember the documenrty on Afhgan with the Eng,‘s?
In that documetary there were 3 guy‘s I lived with for on 6 month‘s and one of them was a ex Reservist from Ottawa who ended up in the Engineer‘s.

(I alway‘s teased him about being from the Army of ther East)

I still have 20 odd yr serving Cpl. friends who are still serving in the Engineer‘s and have been given extention‘s and they said "YES" but don‘t F%^& me or I‘m gone!!
So it‘s say‘s somthing when they ask old timer‘s to stay in.

We Engineer‘s can no longer support the present tasking‘s!!

There is not eneough of us.

I think it‘s a euphemism for "being put to sleep"...they‘re resting. Beautiful CADPAT, the Canadian Forces.

(with apologies to Monty Python)

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb] In the unlikelyhood that Canada might be invaded, would the defense minister tell an invading force or a group of terrorists to wait until the CF were rested? Just a thought!

If I was living and voting in Canada I would like the politicians to do the right thing and quit spending 1 billion plus dollars (more to follow) on a non-working firearm registry and use that money on expanding the military to a respectable level and maybe purchase some new equipment. :warstory: [/qb]
Sherwood
I think everyone would like that.
It‘s the only realistic course of action.
Slim
:cdn:

It‘s sad to say, but it seems a direct attack of some sort to Canada one way or another would be the only thing to wake this country up. 9 out of 10 people in Canada don‘t even know we have an army let alone think we need one. Like I said, it‘s sad, but maybe someone should fly a couple Cessna‘s into the CN tower. It‘s useless anyways, and the beer is ridiculously expensive! The new PM makes absolutely no difference, it‘s still the exact same board, just with one new jack-*** liberal claiming better health care while they‘ve been destroying for years...military? Not in the Liberal dictionary as of yet.

Too be honest I don‘t think it matters what political group is in power. Once they get in they are all the same. Manitoba will flood this year so at least will get some press coverage.

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb]
If I was living and voting in Canada I would like the politicians to do the right thing and quit spending 1 billion plus dollars (more to follow) on a non-working firearm registry and use that money on expanding the military to a respectable level and maybe purchase some new equipment. :warstory: [/qb]
Uhm, I don‘t want to be rude but look at the death by firearms rates in Canada and the US and then try to repeat this. But I do agree with the spirit of what you meant.

Originally posted by kaspacanada:

Uhm, I don‘t want to be rude but look at the death by firearms rates in Canada and the US and then try to repeat this. But I do agree with the spirit of what you meant.
I think I disagree with this statement to a certain extent, but then, I‘m not really sure cause I‘ve not no clue what you‘re trying to say. Are you saying that rates in Canada are lower than the States or what? And "then try to repeat this"? What does that mean?

kaspacanada, if you are suggesting the firearms registry would somehow reduce firearms deaths in Canada, then you are wrong, plain and simple.

The vast majority of firearms deaths in Canada are committed using crime guns, and the vast majority of those are smuggled into Canada or stolen from legitimate firearms owners.

Registering only helps track down who the legitimate owner of a firearm is/was, and can only assist in tracing. But criminals do not buy guns legitimately and register them, and legitimate owners do not sell to unlicenced people (because that in itself is an offence).

We had very adequate licencing laws which require sound knowledge of firearms history, safety, handling, and legislation. I should know, as I am certified by the Chief Firearms Officer for Ontario as an instructor/examiner for the Canadian Firearsm Safety Course and Restricted Firearms Safety Course.

As a customs officer, I can tell you I have had negligible results in using the Firearms Registry, and have experienced personally mismanagement and confusion over the implementation of firearms import/export sections of the Firearms Act, which makes it even more difficult to educate and inform the public about their legal responsibilities.

I am sure you were just answering S_Baker‘s comments made from his American perspective and trying to have him see our Canadian perspective, but there is really no comparison between our two country‘s firearms laws and cultures.

The U.S. has high firearms death rates, and ours are lower, but these is a completely unscientific and oversimplified statement of affairs.

The facts require much research and comparison on many levels.

Portcullisguy, you seem to have gotten the point that gate_gaurd missed. It is questionable whether or not the registry has contributed to a ‘safer‘ country. I have looked at statistics showing declining rates in both countries, but more so in Canada since the registry. Mabey registration may deter people from committing crime with their registered firearms, or mabey it could help in solving some of the crimes. Whether this is a statistical fault I am not entirely sure. Mabey this is the result of other factors like our rising average rate of education. No matter the other variables, as you said, this requires much testing "at many levels". To jump to the conclusion that it serves no useful purpose is still a bit premature since we need to give it more time to evaluate. I was against this program in the first place which is why I have taken an interest in following its progress (or lack thereof) To me this begs the question, IF it does help, then how much "WASTED" tax money is even one life worth? In a nutshell, I am sure that one could find a far better example of wasted spending than the gun registry. As I said before, I supported the spirit of the message, just not this part of the content.

the rcr are going to rest on the mattawa plains arond 5 fingers,because when they get back its time for winter indoc.whats the minister know about the army???????cmon troops shake your heads///////

yeah really what a waste of money on that registery of guns the death rate in Canada was never at a alarming rate and if you compare current death rates in Canada with that of American death rates you have to take into account the huge diffence in population between the two countries. As for the politicians they are dumb as cow **** only out for votes that they get from health care manipulation. They dont even care about trying to improve on the weaking military and if you did crash a jet into the CN Tower they would probably just say some bull**** about terrorism send a few troops out and then COMMIT A MILLION OR TWO IN NEW EQUIPMENT AND SECURITY. After which in six months to a year they would loss their resolve and forget about expanding the military once again leaving us where we started. At least the American politicians have some resolve balls and tenacity

Back