• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mobile Support Equipment Operator (MSE Op) [Merged]

ChopperHead said:
Well I'm fresh with some more questions for ya  ;D

is there much growth happening in the trade?

Do many people stay in the trade for their career or at least a good chunk of it?

have you ever competed in the CF Rodeo or CANADIAN FORCES PROFESSIONAL DRIVER CHAMPIONSHIP as it's officially called now? what are the requirements to participate in this event? ( Sr about the caps but I copy and pasted it so w/e)

how long does it take from the time you walk out of BMQ to your posted to a unit and qualified to start doing your job?

do you ever drive anything with some armour on it like say a beaver or........ something

also do you do offloading and stuff like on ATVs and G-wagons etc?

Thanks
Kyle

For the trade itself, if you are not gun ho then it's a good spot for you. I know tons of people that made a life out of it... but then I know personal have re muster to 935 from Infantry or some sort...

I have been offer to join the Rodeo before, but I did take one at my unit to get my skills up. It is a time trail with different tasking for you and your truck, like figure 8 backing up turnings. Or backing in an off set alley...and I do that in a HLVW... fun fun... good old times... I love it.

Well CFSAL is running your trade training all year around so once you get off... you"ll get slapped with that course. After that, once you get to your posting, you"ll get OJT and practical training/work.

As for armour.. we are here to insure the Canadian Forces is moblie. So if that includes moving a LAV III or C2 then yes...

As for off roading... we do tons of it if you are with a field unit...and your trade training too...

Hope this helps...

ChopperHead said:
Well im fresh with some more questions for ya  ;D

is there much growth happening in the trade?
It is a good question to ask the Recruiters.
ChopperHead said:
Do many people stay in the trade for their career or at least a good chunk of it?
Been answered pretty well already.
ChopperHead said:
have you ever comepted in the CF Roadeo or CANADIAN FORCES PROFESSIONAL DRIVER CHAMPIONSHIP as it's offcially called now? what are the requirements to participate in this event? ( sry about the caps but I copy and pasted it so w/e)
(see the Rules on MSN Speak and then on good writting habits for this site.)  It is a competition, for which each Base will select their best drivers to go on.
ChopperHead said:
how long does it take from the time you walk out of BMQ to your posted to a unit and qualified to start doing your job?
After you BMQ, you will have to do Trades Training as a MSE Op.  To get your CF 404 (Military Driver Licence), you will have to do Crses for every vehicle, and family of vehicles, that you will be driving.  You will only be allowed to drive the vehicles marked on your 404 and recorded in your 416.  You may land up spending another 6 to 12 months after BMQ before actually working in a MSE Section.
ChopperHead said:
do you ever drive anything with some armour on it like say a beaver or........ something
NO!  Combat Arms people drive the Armd vehicles.  You may have the opportunity to drive the Flatbed Heavy Equipment Transport, if you can get into that part of the MSE Op Trade.
ChopperHead said:
also do you do offroading and stuff like on ATV's and G-wagons etc?
Again, that is mostly for the Combat Arms people and the MSE Ops who are posted to Field Units like a Svc Bn.

George Wallace .. in reference to the Armour idea.. I have seen MSE Ops operate LAV III's and bisions.. wouldn't that be declared armoured?

I am a bit left in the dark, or I just misunderstood your message.

Cheers,
TN2IC

If you have, it is a very rare sight.  They may have been former Cbt Arms, now MSE Ops, who may have had to move a vehicle a very short distance.  Other than Cbt Arms and Mechanics, you are not likely to see anyone else drive a LAV.  You may find Sigs and Medics qualified on Bisons, but again, it is usually Cbt Arms people.  It is very unlikely that you will find a MSE Op driving an Armd Veh Tactically or Administratively on any Exercise or Deployment.  When it comes to Tracked vehicles, it is the Cbt Arms (Armour, Inf, Arty, and Engrs) who will be driving them.  In most cases, on a Base, it is the Engineers who operate most of the Heavy Equipment.  MSE Ops will operate various pieces of Airfield Heavy cranes, etc. and wheeled Heavy Equipment like Graders and Forklifts, in certain locations.

Ah right on, thank you for leveling this out. I"ll stop beating a dead horse now.

Cheers,
TN2IC

George Wallace said:
Combat Arms people drive the Armd vehicles. 

I know a number of truckers from the local service batallion who spent their summer in Gagetown driving the T-LAV, as well as having done a crew-commander course... not that it's somthing they do/drive on a regular basis, but they're definitly qualified to do it.

I know it's a hard comparison to make but do you think you could give me a comparison between 935 and 011. Those are the 2 trades I'm Torrin between right now.

I LOVE driving and I love vehicles, I'm just worried that I might get bored with MSE Op as people have told me it gets really dull. Armour sounds cool in that you get alot more field experience and more interesting jobs as they say but I'm just not really sure if I want that or not as I really just want to drive. so I don't know I need an outside perspective on it.

Thanks
Kyle.

Well if yo want that.... then go for it...I wanted Armour at first but ended up with this.. meh...I like it..

I have been an MSE OP for Almost nine years now. I have deployed as a trucker a few times and have worked base side as well. Location is the key to qualifications. Meaning that you have a better chance to get Special Purpose vehicles(Loader, Grader, Dump) in these places. When posted to a Field unit you will be trained on most SMP vehicles. Armoured vehicles are part of our trade. We instruct and drive Bison's both here in garrison and on operation. CFS Alert has 3 MSE OP's , I believe it is still a WO, MCpl , and Cpl which are in charge of SNIC( Snow and Ice Control) just like they do in places like Trenton or Comox...static places. I disagree with TN2IC when saying that if you are not gung ho then its a place for you. You must not of spent too much time in the field or on Operation. LOL. We for example run convoys in places like Afghanistan and need to be sharp on our ROE's and drills in the event of "Contact" we train to be "Real Soldiers as well as doing our trade too! I am a proud Trucker and hate to toot my own horn here but know enough about it so any questions please feel free. And by the way the trade is moving great at the moment and should continue to do so for the next while. Take care and "Keep on trucking!

I Agree 100% Convoy Ops is what we need there at the school. Should also be taught at the QL3 level. We would have everyone on the same net here in the Svc Bn if it was taught at the school first. Fdtrucker.... Paul is that you?

Tony in Pet :cdn:

Okay I am course loaded on it now... joy joy... CFSEL...here we go.

;D  Heehee, I thought CFSAL stood for Can't Feel Sad About Leaving.....or....Can't F'ing See Any Logic???
All roads lead to Borden. ;D

Several years ago I helped with the MOSART review of the MESO reserve trade. It was pretty interesting due to the fact we do a lot of the ET and Hull Tech jobs on the ship. This will hopefully help us eventually get tech pay. What I envision for the MSE world is that everyone will start at a base level, ET's, Stokers and Hull Techs and one they have their base knowledge, they will branch out to their speciality.

Sorry for semi-hijacking the thread.  But what does MSE have to do with the Navy?  I read the posts thinking that MOSART was going to screw around with the MSE Op trade, I see lots of references to MSE but not what MSE stands for in the Navy.  I don't think MSE Ops go to sea and most driver positions are filled by SupTechs or Stewards.

And before TN2IC gets in here, NO! TN, I don't have corvette on my 416's!  ;) And I don't need to see the golden bolt on the keel!
;D

BYT Driver said:
Sorry for semi-hijacking the thread.  But what does MSE have to do with the Navy?  I read the posts thinking that MOSART was going to screw around with the MSE Op trade, I see lots of references to MSE but not what MSE stands for in the Navy.  I don't think MSE Ops go to sea and most driver positions are filled by SupTechs or Stewards.

And before TN2IC gets in here, NO! TN, I don't have corvette on my 416's!   ;) And I don't need to see the golden bolt on the keel!
;D

Marine Systems Engineering

Roger, thanks you.
That makes sense.  No such thing as an MSEOp onboard.
:D

Although, I had someone from Base Transport argue with me once that there *SHOULD* be an MSEop onboard to drive the ship's vehicles when we put into ports....something about needing professional drivers onboard?  I laughed at him.

Probably rude of me, but I mean, we can't afford the space for someone who's just there to drive when we get into port, and the military ain't going to pay to fly another person from port to port ahead of the ship just to drive....ain't gonna happen.

NS

Back