• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Moobs" - What are the options to remove them?

However, if it's self-induced by the use of supplements, can it be reversed simply by ceasing their use?

Can the gyno be reversed by simple cessation of the supplements?  My understanding is, "Yes" and "No."  There obviously aren't much data on this, as the bodybuilding community doesn't exactly volunteer all the side effects of their regimes to medical professionals, or offer themselves up for experiments very readily.  Based on general medical knowledge and anecdotes from colleagues, I believe that short-term gynecomastia (say, <3 months of prohormone use) is fairly readily reversible, partly because the "swelling" might represent cells that are only partially differentiated (this would be similar to the phenomenon experienced by many adolescent males who are making so much testosterone, that significant quantitites temporarily "spill over" to estrogen and progesterone).  After prolonged, heavy usage, when an actual "donut" of firm tissue can be palpated beneath the areola ... in most cases, I think surgical correction is required.

I am neither an endocrinologist nor a surgeon, so I have been deliberately a bit vague in the above descriptions.  However, the general principles do apply.

:-\

I almost wanted to post this in the Mental Health section because I will be blunt - there is no pain; however, my "moobs" have taken a mental strain on me. I have had them since puberty, I guess, and they seem to stick around no matter how lean I get. I feel like developing my chest has helped slightly, and I am going to try one last cut to get to sub-10% body fat before I action anything, but I need them gone for my self-esteem. I spend a seriously large amount of time thinking about them, researching ways to get rid of them, etc and sometimes I can't focus because of this.

That said, I am not seeking a hand-out from the military, I am willing to pay to seperate myself from them, and even take my own vacation days for the healing. My problem is, I am absolutely unwilling to bring it up. I am frankly embarassed. I have my yearly AC medical coming up and was considering bringing it up to the FS, but everything I think about it I just get nervous and know I would never bring it up.

On to my questions, I am wondering if I am allowed to get elective surgery like this at a local faciliate, on my own dime, without consent from the military? Could I get in trouble for this? Is there any way to make bringing it up during my medical easier? Will the doc laugh me silly?

From my understanding it is about 3-4,000 to get it done, and I am willing to spend that on my self-esteem, but my worry is if there are complications I could get in trouble from the military. I was also contemplating just going to the place for a consultation, surely that would cause no harm.

Anyways, sorry for unloading on this forum. I do not really know where else to turn for advice. If this is in the wrong forum, please move it mods thank you.

- Troubled guy with moobs.

Sinistril said:
I almost wanted to post this in the Mental Health section because I will be blunt - there is no pain; however, my "moobs" have taken a mental strain on me. I have had them since puberty, I guess, and they seem to stick around no matter how lean I get. I feel like developing my chest has helped slightly, and I am going to try one last cut to get to sub-10% body fat before I action anything, but I need them gone for my self-esteem. I spend a seriously large amount of time thinking about them, researching ways to get rid of them, etc and sometimes I can't focus because of this.

That said, I am not seeking a hand-out from the military, I am willing to pay to seperate myself from them, and even take my own vacation days for the healing. My problem is, I am absolutely unwilling to bring it up. I am frankly embarassed. I have my yearly AC medical coming up and was considering bringing it up to the FS, but everything I think about it I just get nervous and know I would never bring it up.

On to my questions, I am wondering if I am allowed to get elective surgery like this at a local faciliate, on my own dime, without consent from the military? Could I get in trouble for this? Is there any way to make bringing it up during my medical easier? Will the doc laugh me silly?

From my understanding it is about 3-4,000 to get it done, and I am willing to spend that on my self-esteem, but my worry is if there are complications I could get in trouble from the military. I was also contemplating just going to the place for a consultation, surely that would cause no harm.

Anyways, sorry for unloading on this forum. I do not really know where else to turn for advice. If this is in the wrong forum, please move it mods thank you.

- Troubled guy with moobs.

So I can try my best here to reply, with my best of knowledge. I had "Moobs" since puberty, they got to about a C cup, I had surgery 1 year before accepting my first offer into the armed forces. In all brutal honesty please bring it up to the FS, I know the mental anguish of doing that is stressful but you wont regret it if you can get them to confirm that you're able to get it done.

When I had my first medical last year, all I did was bring in a crap load of paperwork that the surgeon had given me (pre-op and post-op information), and they didn't even bat an eye at it.

It is cosmetic surgery but it also has a huge impact on your mental state, for my case I healed up exceptionally quick, you'll be in a bit of pain after the surgery so no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 2-3 weeks, I started working out again after 2 weeks, and I was back to work a week after the surgery(Though my job at the time wasn't physically demanding at all). I hope I gave you a bit of a push, and I hope all goes well.

Sinistril said:

You should talk to your primary clinician (MO / NP / PA) before undertaking elective surgery outside of the CAF.  There is nothing wrong with seeking elective surgery outside of the CF health system on your own dime, but a visit to the CDU and a quick annotation in your chart with prevent anyone suggesting that you are "concealing a disease" (which is illegal under the QR&O) and will provide protection if for some reason you have post surgical complications and require follow up support from the CF Health Service.

When you bring it up with your doc just remember this is nowhere near the craziest problem they have seen and likely will not even drawn any notable attention or garnish real curiosity.  Now, if you had a double genitalia, a coke bottle in your rectum or a Thai worm coming out of your nose that might draw some attention.  Sadly, (or lucky for you) mobbs rates on the scale as "infrequently seen, but predicable in family practice". I am not trying to minimize your situation, but a "strange problem" for a patient is often just a routine day for someone who sees medical problems all day. The best way to bring it up is during your physical. After he is done listening to your heart with the stethoscope, just point to your breasts and say, "I got a question about these".

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

MC

Any doctor who would laugh at a patient for a medical problem (particularly one that is not self-inflicted) should undergo a period of serious self-reflection to determine whether he/she is suited to the profession.  Remember that these are people who sometimes need to get more intimate with a patient than even with their own spouses.

I've known of more than a few guys that have had reduction mammoplasty at Crown expense - especially when it was pointed out that they had a lot breast cancer in their families.  As for the referral - odds are you'll get it.

Incidentally, I've got the same issue...just never worried me that much.  I was in fact offered a referral, as a second degree relative in my family died of breast cancer.

MM

MedCorps said:
Now, if you had a double genitalia, a coke bottle in your rectum or a Thai worm coming out of your nose that might draw some attention. 

My wife, a public health nurse, would probably describe that as a slow Monday...

medicineman said:
I've known of more than a few guys that have had reduction mammoplasty at Crown expense

And I know of females who've had "enhancements" at Crown expense.

Sinistril, take the advice here and go see an MO.

Thank you guys. I was actually afraid to look at this thread but your replys have given me confidence to bring it up at my medical. I know it isn't much but you all made my day.

Cheers :)

Back