• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mortars: 51 mm, 60 mm, 81 mm, 120 mm & more

• Thread starter Thread starter Meditations in Green
  • Start date Start date
Kirkhill said:
IMH (and inexpert) O, that argues strongly for retaining skill sets like pioneering and mortaring, in battalions even if the battalion is reduced to 250 men and can only man 2 tubes and supply a section of Pioneers.  If the need arises new numbers can always be fed in an trained by the existing personnel.  If skills are set aside then the recovery time is that much greater.

An interesting point for debate - are we better off preserving capabilities in smaller tactical sub-units or sacrificing capabilities to have larger peacetime ("force generation") sub-units?  Which is better, a Bn of 550 men in 3 full up rifle companies with recce platoon or a Bn of 550 men with 3 coys and a cbt support coy all manned to 66%?  At least, in the latter, leadership and capability familiarity are getting exercise.

[/quote]I am still a strong believer that if you can't carry it it isn't an infantry weapon.  If the weapon needs a vehicle to move it then it belongs to either the Artillery or the Armoured.  That means, in my view, that 2" to 81mm are infantry weapons. [/quote]

I don't think such a sharp dividing line is necessary or useful.  Weapon systems should be procured to provide capability requirements.  If an Infantry Bn's job is to "own" ground from 2-3 kilometers, then maybe a towed heavy mortar is the right system.  Let doctrine and tactics drive the requirement, not rigid equipment restrictions.

Question.  Who mans the 120mm mortars in a Stryker Bn?  I suspect they are 11 series mortarmen, but I could be wrong.

Infanteer said:
I am still a strong believer that if you can't carry it it isn't an infantry weapon.  If the weapon needs a vehicle to move it then it belongs to either the Artillery or the Armoured.  That means, in my view, that 2" to 81mm are infantry weapons.

I don't think such a sharp dividing line is necessary or useful.  Weapon systems should be procured to provide capability requirements.  If an Infantry Bn's job is to "own" ground from 2-3 kilometers, then maybe a towed heavy mortar is the right system.  Let doctrine and tactics drive the requirement, not rigid equipment restrictions.

Question.  Who mans the 120mm mortars in a Stryker Bn?  I suspect they are 11 series mortarmen, but I could be wrong.

I'm guessing that you are probably right on the Stryker 120s.  But there again they have Strykers. 

Which brings us to the "dividing line".

Your point about hard and fast rules is valid.  But every discussion, and every decision, needs a starting point.  So perhaps we can view my assertion as analogous to being a Stop sign.  Then we can agree to treat it with either Germanic precision or with Italian contempt - as circumstances and national temperament permit.

Suppose I offer as a compromise that the infantry battalion is primarily the riflemen in the rifle companies and that as the rifleman's battle is geared towards fighting in close proximity with the enemy (Apologies to TV and the Infantry School) "by day and by night, regardless of season and terrain".  Then it makes sense to me that, when technically possible, the infantry should be supplied with as much support as can be brought to bear as possible.

Generally speaking the ability of the infantry to close with the enemy has been limited to a greater extent by its transport than by its own inherent limitations.  By that I mean that men on foot can climb a mountain in a blizzard at night, potentially gaining a tactical advantage over the enemy, even if their supporting vehicles can't (Bandvagons and helos notwithstanding).  Weapons exist that are compatible with that type of deployment.  It makes sense to me to equip the footborne soldiery with the heaviest calibre, longest range weapons that can be carried by them so that they can take them with them under all circumstances. 

Now should that stricture be limited to the Rifle Coys, or should it be applied more broadly to the Bn at large?  That is another worthy topic of debate.

But.

I would argue that once you cross the vehicular threshold you end in very murky waters where it gets difficult to set boundaries within the continua of LOSVs to Leo2s and ATCs to LAV-Hs.

How are forces that are equipped with Bison/Coyotes, LAV IIIs and TAPVs fundamentally different in that, from a strategic point of view they are all equally deployable to the same theaters with the same long range transport facilities required?*
All the vehicles mentioned weigh something like 12 to 15 tonnes and require at least a C130 to move them.

Conversely an ATC/LOSV can be deployed by a Milverado or a Griffin.
A Milverado can be deployed by Cyclone or a Cormorant.
A BvS10 requires a CH-147 to deploy.

A CH-147F can't lift a Bison or a TLAV, much less a LAV-H, but it could lift an old fashioned Lynx, or AVGP-Grizzly, or even an empty M113A1.

Those factoids drive a whole bunch of other discussions that are far from the point of this thread but need to be considered when contemplating the whole and trying to decide how to divide it up into useful and manageable chunks.

My starting point is that for something to be considered suitable for infantry use it needs to be possible to haul it up that mountain side, in a blizzard, in the dark. 

Pistols, bayonets, hand grenades and M72s are no brainers.

C6s, HMGs, and 60-81mm mortars have been hauled up as have tripod mounted TOWs.

Can the same be said about C16s and 120mm mortars?

*(Even TLAVs could be considered as a similar vehicle  (tracks notwithstanding).) 

Edit: Edited to add - perhaps some other metrics that could be considered:

The weapons that could accompany a Section on board a CC-144 Challenger (anything up to a C16 and an 81mm I am reckoning)

The weapons and carriers that could accompany troops on board a CC-150 Combi (anything the Challenger can carry plus ATCs, LOSVs and Iltis's but not Silverados, Bv206s or JLTVs).

And finally, which would you rather have accompany you on the first day of deployment in a single C-130: a bucket load of Gators, 4 to 8 Iltises or a single TAPV?

Sorry for the digressions but I can't see how any of these matters can be discussed without considering all the related factors.

My apologies to all.  :)

I believe that the capability requirement that mortars (81mm) fill is the capability to suppress the enemy anywhere within the battalion's (or battle group's) battle space with integral weapons. The key part is the integral aspect. Any number of systems can bring fire on a target within the battalions's battlespace, but they are not owned by the battalion. Small arms and grenade launchers can certainly suppress the enemy but not across the entire battlespace. An integral mortar platoon gives the CO (or OCs in dispersed operations using sections of 81mm) to ability to guarantee some level of fire support at all times if the guns are doing something that the Commander finds more interesting at that momemt.

Back in bandcamp in 2006 we had two 155mm sections who could also man mortars. There were times when a troop of guns were left providing support to FOBs/patrol bases leaving one troop to support mobile offensive operations. The guns guarding the FOBs were overkill, and this task could have been provided by 81mm mortars. This would have provided more fire support to the offensive mobile operations. The mortars were available but not the people (since the 155mm gunners were also the 81mm gunners). I think that a 50 man investment in each battalion to give a mortar platoon would pay dividends. Of course, where do those 9 platoons come from?

The capability requirement that 120mm mortars would fill would be to be able to neutralize targets within the battalion's battlespace. I see no reason why infantrymen could not man them, but I am neither an infantryman nor an artilleryman!

p.s. In the mists of time I worked in a USMC mortar platoon on an exchange and we indeed humped mortars in the mountains. Sometimes mules were used as well, but it can be done!

Infanteer said:

I'm pretty sure you're correct
Next month 32 CBG will be doing a joint Ex with 2/112 Stryker Bn from 56 SBCT. In doing staff work for this, my counter part is an infanteer from the Mort Pl.
Part of the Ex is to include joint fires (US 120 and Cdn C3's) in support of RIP between the Cdn BG and the Stryker Bn; the capability differences are glaring
Their ORBAT has 60's with the Coy's, 81's with the 120 Mort Pl (but they can be re-grouped as req'd)

A good example of why the infantry wants mortars in the battalion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ankn-AzC4

... fewer reasons for military disasters resulting in uncomfortably sucky movie endings  ;D

Petard said:
GnyHwy can hopefully jump in here to help clear it up too, but I think he was speaking mostly from his own experience.
My  :2c:

A) The artillery did use the mortars far more often then what Gny's post might lead you to believe, especially in the early stages of the campaigns. So much so, that in the fall of 06, the gun Bty was given 120mm mortars by the Americans to augment their firepower, on top of the M777 and 81's they were manning. Sometimes the Gun Tp was firing mortars and guns simultaneously on different targets.
Even in the case of using them for local defence, the 81's were critical for turning back direct attacks on the gun position in a few instances. Yes there were only a few instances of that kind of defence of the gun postion, but if they had not had those mortars, the outcome might well of been different. Unlike the view some have of the guns being relatively well off in a FOB, there were times when they were very isolated, and entirely responsible for their own protection. This is likely to continue.

B) The HLVW's, and later AHSVS's, were loaded to the gunwales, largely because the Gun Bty then, and now, does not really have an Ech anymore. There wouldn't be room really for a C16, if they were issued. As mentioned above, they need to retain the 81s not just for local defence, and given the premium of space, its not likely they can carry much more on their limited lift capability

C) GnyHwy is very experienced, I think you're misunderstanding his pt, and in any case I'm sure he can certainly respond to that one on his own

The Artillery did, and does, need the use of the 81's, but what is not getting emphasized enough is the capability deficiency that exists at both the Coy and Bn level since the 81's and 60's were taken away from them. I think most would agree that the C16 (and new Carl G ammo) did not replace some of the capability the 60 provided, and it can expected that gun Bty's will be tasked away from the Cdn BG they deployed with, thereby leaving the Cdn Infantry Bn without that capability either.
The problem is not going to be solved by taking the 81's away from the guns to give back to the infantry, I would argue there is need for that type of capability at both those levels of fire support. 

I wouldn't call the PY issue a red herring; though not the only reason, it was certainly part of why that 120 project I was working on foundered.

Would not a modern 60mm mortar be better for GP defense? I suspect that any threat would be well within their range?

Back when I cared, I developed a manning option for our regular force infantry battalions, such that they could meet the mandated lines of operation as set by the Government of Canada.  Of course, one of the assumptions was that the "other combat arm" (armour) could also man BG HQs.  The big "thing" was that the number of battalions reduced from 9 to 6.  Each rifle company was fully manned at 100% of authorised TO and E.  As well, given the firm PY limits, there was room for the reestablishment of a fully functional Cbt Sp Coy.

In all lines of operation, less combat, there was enough for five subunits of troops to conduct "operations other than war".  (For example, TOW platoon not required on operation "Pick Up Sticks" following a hurricane in Halifax, for example.  So, they could be used in the role of stick picker upper.  And for stab ops, they can operate as riflemen.  Anyway, I think you get the point).

In combat operations, the battalions would be ready to go "as is".  And the battalion could look after itself "for a while" without external support.  So, until the tanks, arty or engineers show up, the TOW, Mortars and Pioneers could "make do".  Once the pros arrived on the scene, the TOW, Mortar and Pioneer platoons could lighten the load, allowing those other arms and services to do the heavy lifting.

But I no longer care.  If the army is going to get a CASW/AGLS and say that it's man portable, well, I quit caring.  :salute:

Just a slight tangent...

I'm getting regular tales of 'amalgamation woe' from colleagues in the UK. It seems that Canada has done a pretty good job of managing their combat arms units, thereby avoiding the need for regular contraction and blending of regimental affiliations etc.

Sorry to be glass half full, and of course it could be so much better (especially that stupid CASW or whatever it's called of ours), but something seems to be going right here!

Now then, helmets on and back to our regular program of self-loathing!  ;D

Colin P said:
Would not a modern 60mm mortar be better for GP defense? I suspect that any threat would be well within their range?

Not sure what you're point is; we can't get (keep) 60's for the Infantry who really do need them, I don't see how the case could be made for the Artillery to have those as well.
At any rate, no, a 60 is not suitable for GP defence, since a common threat was (and is) an 82mm mortar (~4Km or better), which will out range the 60 (~3.5km or so)
Besides, the 81mm calibre provides more payload capacity; important for other capability requirements such as non lethal fires like Illum, IR Illum, and Smoke

The 81mm seemed like overkill for GP, but I get your point of matching the enemies main weapon being similar. I am going from the days where our biggest self defense weapon was the Carl G.

Dude!

The biggest self defence weapon was the gun.

Don't you remember the command "tank alert!" or fuses set to instantaneous?

:nod:

Yes I do, but was reffering to the other self defense arms, which was for us besides personal weapons, LAW's, C2 and 2 CG for the battery.  :)

Timed fuze in DF were a joy all of their own. Likley this is one area were a 105 battery has it over a 155, the gun can respond faster to the threat and with the C1 you could compete with a mortar and at least have some armour plate.

Colin P said:
Timed fuze in DF were a joy all of their own.

AKA Killer Junior which was an expedient devised by American Red Legs in Vietnam. It was actually used by Canadian gunners on at least one occasion in Afghanistan to discourage a pending ground attack. The combination of the flash and deafening roar of a low airburst along with the smoke and dust as literally thousands of shell fragments tore into the dry ground had the desired effect.

I remember doing Killer Junior in Pet year ago with the C1's sure made a mess of Fig11's out in the impact area...  IIRC it was one of those 'graded' ex's if you had a good #1 (acting as the FOO) it was good, if he was a glue bag it was frightfully painful...  I was actually reading this early before OS posted and saying to myself "self, hey, we called it Killer Junior, not direct fire VT".
  As far as tank alert went -- I remember trying to track an Iltis at Juliet Tower and thinking - Oh fuck this will never work in real life.

Frankly IMHO the 120mm Mortar should be mounted in a LAV chassis.  Give them to the Arty and send the 81's back to the Inf where they belong.

As I recall as a slightly elevated plug, I was part of a excercise in the US where we fired HE at moving tank range targets. Some of the #1's were good at estimating the targets and getting hits.

As I was typing the previous post I could remember the "killer" part but not the "junior"

Old Sweat said:
AKA Killer Junior which was an expedient devised by American Red Legs in Vietnam. It was actually used by Canadian gunners on at least one occasion in Afghanistan to discourage a pending ground attack. The combination of the flash and deafening roar of a low airburst along with the smoke and dust as literally thousands of shell fragments tore into the dry ground had the desired effect.

OK, I have to ask: if that's a Killer Junior, what's a 'Killer Senior' then?

Killer Junior was for 105 and 155mm, while Killer Senior was used by 8in units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Junior

Old Sweat said:
Killer Junior was for 105 and 155mm, while Killer Senior was used by 8in units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Junior

Seen...

My dad was a gunner at Normandy and he called them 'Murder targets', referred to here in 'The Guns of Normandy':

http://books.google.ca/books?id=kL0hdkLlovgC&pg=PT271&lpg=PT271&dq=artillery%2Bnormandy%2Bmurder%2Btarget&source=bl&ots=GbjtlCr5yX&sig=zgnhn-IBsepngSLe2n0D0Zep4vU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JVIYUL61Ke6u6gH7p4HACg&ved=0CF0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=artillery%2Bnormandy%2Bmurder%2Btarget&f=false

They fired alot of these into the Falaise pocket and he remarked that everythign was chopped off at waist height... including the bad guys' waists  :o

daftandbarmy said:
Seen...

My dad was a gunner at Normandy and he called them 'Murder targets', referred to here in 'The Guns of Normandy':

http://books.google.ca/books?id=kL0hdkLlovgC&pg=PT271&lpg=PT271&dq=artillery%2Bnormandy%2Bmurder%2Btarget&source=bl&ots=GbjtlCr5yX&sig=zgnhn-IBsepngSLe2n0D0Zep4vU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JVIYUL61Ke6u6gH7p4HACg&ved=0CF0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=artillery%2Bnormandy%2Bmurder%2Btarget&f=false

They fired alot of these into the Falaise pocket and he remarked that everythign was chopped off at waist height... including the bad guys' waists  :o

Something slightly different. The Killer family are fired in defence of the gun position at ranges as close as 200m from the gun.

The gun itself is often not the best weapon for a local defence battle, especially in the direct fire role
The M777 has such a low profile that it is crested very easily.  At ranges less than 1000 metres, even at low charge (3 white or 1 MAC Low) the elevation will generally be <50mils; not much in most cases to clear any interveining obstacles. The minimum range is ~3000 metres at high angle. So there will be some situations where something other than the gun itself is needed in the local defence battle. Another draw back, as was pointed out for anti-tank, is the gun is a very unwieldy weapon to keep lined up on a mobile target

I've had quite a few discusions off line about this topic, and it seems there were quite a few incidents when the 81's were used in local defence battles, and some were small arms range.

Hopefully some'll write a book about it some day!  ;)

Back