• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must Know How To Swim To Be In The Reserves?

I believe there is no requirement to be able to swim. The last test I did two years ago, they singled out 4 people who said they couldnt swim, gave them life jackets to do the test and identified them to the regiment as requiring supervision during water ops.But you should seriously take it upon yourself to take swim lessons.

Let me put it this way so you can rest easy...i didnt drown and i went on to become a Bridging, Rafting, Watermanship and rigging instructor at CFSME.........

Yes, sorry I was talking about the Comm Reserve, the swimming test was taken out of the course.

As for failing the swim test, when I did basic, the people that did fail the test were given help with their swimming while the rest were swimming laps or circuit training.
Failing the swim test won't make you fail BMQ, so no worries. Just try your best.

-KaT

I have a phobia of "Deep Water" and as a result have had only negative experiences with the swim test.  It's not a requirement to pass the crse.  It's used to measure whether you're a decent enough swimmer, that if during amphibious operations, engineers don't have to keep a close eye on you, in the event you fall into the drink.  It is kind of embarrassing having a red glowstick tied to you as you do a assault boat crossing in the middle of the night.  But I'll live with it. ::)

I've got the same thing, a deep water phobia.  In St-Jean, I failed the swim test, so the next trip to the pool we did remedial swimming class, and a re-test.  Which I also failed.  My problem is mutli-fold:  a) I can't tread water, b) I float about as well as a rock (so that makes trying to tread water harder), and c) the phobia thing (which causes me to take short shallow breaths).

It was never an issue, nor was it brought up after the fact, so if you do fail, it isn't the end of the world.  Put out your best effort, and make it an issue to improve on your own, after the fact. 

I did not have to swim when i did my reserve basic. Now that i am transfering to the regs i don't know.

No swim test for me during Res BMQ, but it was administered in DP-1 Inf.

Stu

Well thanks guys for the information you guys provided. It was a big help I feel better now. But like most of you said it is better to take lessons anyways so i'll just take some lessons before I sign up. Thx alot guys

Yeah I used to have a fear of the deep murky water too and I always thought the loch ness monster was gonna eat me when I was swimming in a lake when I was younger.

But even that didn't stop me from going in the deep murky water.

So unless you want the army sticking glowsticks to your back ya better learn how to swim.

Back