• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My USAF Pic of the Day

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
;D

hires_081215-F-7823A-931a.jpg

An F-15E Strike Eagle from the 391st Expeditionary Fighter Squadron at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, launches heat decoys during a close-air-support mission over Afghanistan, Dec. 15, 2008. U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Aaron Allmon

As far as I can see, 2 on the left wing (they look like 500 pounders, GBU-12). 

The ones on the right wing aren't (as far as I can see) laser guided.  They don't have the laser seeker and fins on the nose.

Looks like 2 GBU-12s under the left wing, a GBU-31 under the fuselage and at least 2 GBU-38s maybe 3, under the right wing.

Wow, great pic.

Is that a AIM-9 i see? Don't think he'll be needed that.  :D ;)

The NFLD Grinch said:
wow pretty lights......

;D
So says the simple Sapper :D  (Kidding, don't hurt me, it's christmas :D ;))

Great photo too! Love how you can see the pilot.

rampage:  GBU-31 under the fuselage, sure (satellite guided), and 3 Mk-82s on the left right wing.  They don't have or, I can't see the JDAM kit.

The backseater is the one visible in the photo,the pilot is a bit lower in the front.

HiRes image
http://www.defenselink.mil/dod...215-F-7823A-931a.jpg

My curiosity has gotten the better of me (I see Ninja beat me to this), why the air-to-air missiles ? (looks like a sparrow on the other outboard pylon)

What are they thinking they might have to shoot down ?

And that is a great pic T-6.

tomahawk6 said:
The backseater is the one visible in the photo,the pilot is a bit lower in the front.

HiRes image
dod...215-F-7823A-931a.jpg

??? link broken .........  :-\

Bass ackwards said:
My curiosity has gotten the better of me (I see Ninja beat me to this), why the air-to-air missiles ? (looks like a sparrow on the other outboard pylon)

The Left wing has most likely an AMRAAM and the Left wing has an AIM-9

Well, if you have the capability to defend yourself, why not?  Air-to-Air missiles aren't that heavy at all anyways (200 lbs for the AIM-9 and 350 for the AMRAAM).

The AIM might be a precaution.
Try again  :)

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/homepagephoto/2008-12/hires_081215-F-7823A-931a.jpg

Looking on the HiRes picture, I can clearly see the JDAM kit on the left wing ordnance.  So, you were right, 6 GBUs ;)

Fair enough Max, thanks.
Not that I thought it was a bad idea, but I was kinda wondering about the weight/drag factor. Evidently not an issue.

Back