• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

N.B. School Silences Canada National Anthem

Looks like there is still some common sense still out there.

Happy to see these results in this school.

EDIT: Maybe Millett will find a bit of strength in a 'Che' or 'Malcom X' t-shirt, should he have to front up to anyone for causing such embarassing publicity to his school board?

Loser.

OWDU

Lil_T said:
Though I still hope someone squares Mr Millett in the junk.
You're going to have to stop beating around the bush, and just come out and say what's on your mind

:rofl:

Now when are we going to bring back "God save the Queen."  I remember how shocked I was when I found out they no longer sang that in schools.

Truly some good news. Made my day, and a good story to bring into work for all those who are still talking about it.

It's not over <a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090130/anthem_controversy_090130/20090130?hub=TopStories">yet</a>!

The human rights comission?

What a waste of resources and tax payers money.

This so called 'principal' should be collecting UIC.

Shakes head,

OWDU

Long drive off of short pier..... With doors welded shut.

I fired off an email to the school board and the Green Party, voicing my objections. I received a reply from the Green Party's Research and Operations Coordinator:

Green Party Email said:
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding Erik Millett.

The Green Party of Canada supports the singing of O Canada in schools. The principal who was involved in a New Brunswick school's review of the matter was once a Green Party candidate; however, the decision to dispense with the daily singing of O Canada is not Green Party policy.  The tradition of singing O Canada has long been a way of showing respect and love for our country, our veterans and those who gave their lives in defense of Canada. 

Erik Millet has been unfairly singled out as though the decision, which was made over a year ago, was his unilaterally.  Erik Millett served three years in the Canadian military and has a degree in Human Rights. While we disagree with the school's decision, we reject as unworthy the personal attacks on a very decent and dedicated education professional.

With his degree in Human Rights, I can now see why he wants to take this through that route.

Sadly, I found the above email was nothing more than a cut and paste of a Green Party press release. I could not edit the above post, so I added this new information here.

The New Brunswick CBC is running a follow-up to this story about the reactions the school principal experienced. I find the defense of his decision weak and hard to accept.
N.B. school principal received death threats in anthem dispute
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 | 10:11 AM AT

School principal Erik Millett says he was flooded with hostile messages, including taunts and death threats, after his decision to stop the daily singing of the national anthem at Belleisle Elementary School in New Brunswick.

Millett, the school's principal, said in an exclusive interview with CBC News that he was inundated with more than 2,000 emails over the anthem controversy, but some of the negative messages crossed the line and became personal threats.

"I received threats by email, death threats over my phone at home. I had to have my telephone number changed," he said.

Those threats were not relegated simply to the phone and internet. Millett also described how at the height of the anthem debate, he was sitting in his office with a student when a local parent walked in to speak with him.

"He said that I should be ashamed of myself, that I embarrassed the community. He said that if my admin assistant wasn't there he would drag me outside by my shirt collar to the parking lot and beat me senseless," Millett said.

"At that point, I said that our conversation, our meeting was over and I thanked him for coming in and sharing his opinion and I asked him to leave my office. He told me that I would be driven out of the community one way or the other."

The national controversy ignited after it became known that Millett had stopped the daily singing of O Canada at his elementary school in rural New Brunswick. Instead, students would sing the anthem monthly at a school assembly.

Some of New Brunswick's Conservative MPs attacked the move on the floor of the House of Commons as "political correctness run wild." Eventually, the district superintendent ordered that the anthem be returned as a daily practice in the school.

The principal said he is now seeing a psychologist as he attempts to overcome the backlash over the anthem dispute.

"It's pretty traumatic. I just hope that no teacher, no administrator has to go through something like that again," he said.

Principal didn't want to separate students
Millett has said that two parents objected to the anthem ritual on religious grounds, and that he and his staff took the necessary steps to foster an inclusive school.

Those measures, he said, are supported by human rights legislation and the Education Act.

He also bristled at the idea that students who did not want to be a part of the anthem's singing should step outside.

"Asking a student to leave the classroom every day at the primary level, I think that is unacceptable. That is not the kind of environment I want to create in a school where I'm at," he said.

"If I was a student I would not want to begin my day every day to leave the classroom and be separated from my peers."

But Millett said he was open to making accommodations for students who felt strongly about the anthem. He said he allowed Julia Boyd, whose mother Susan has led the charge to reinstate the daily song, to sing O Canada at the monthly school assemblies.

Parent asks: 'What about the majority?'
Susan Boyd, whose soldier nephew was killed in Afghanistan, said national symbols must stop being removed from the classroom.

"The Lord's Prayer is gone. The [Oath] of Allegiance is gone. It has come to the point that we don't want to offend the minority, we don't want to offend people," Boyd said.

"But what about the majority? Because we are at the point now that we are offended because our anthem is disappearing."

The anthem is once again being piped into classrooms at the elementary school over the public address system. And while O Canada has returned, it is not clear if Millett ever will.

"I really don't know when I'll be able to return to work. [I am] personally devastated by this," he said.

"I don't know whether I'll ever return to teaching or a principalship again."

It's interesting that he is considering not returning to teach or acting as a principal. The Green Party claims that he has served in the CF for three years, but I have not seen that claim in his Biography or other online information.

Huh, I didnt think any schools did that. Ive been to 4 different schools in NL and never once was it done, even at assemblies. heck, Im not 100% they even do it at all hockey games here

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
Huh, I didnt think any schools did that. Ive been to 4 different schools in NL and never once was it done, even at assemblies. heck, Im not 100% they even do it at all hockey games here

In the mornings no, but during assemblies at least at my school we did. Opened with O Canada and closed with the Ode to Newfoundland.

AHL/QMJHL games they played O Canada and the US Anthem (when needed)

I keep seeing reference to "two parents objected to the anthem ritual on religious grounds."

Is it two parents from the same household, or two different families? I ask only because, if it's the former, then that's even more of a minority being kow-tow'ed to. Despite his claims of accommodating the students' needs, I can't imagine an elementary student feeling particularly strongly about an anthem, so I'm predisposed to believe it's one wack-job family using the children as pawns for their own agenda.

As for the religious grounds, what religion objects to national anthems? Not being a religoid myself, I have no idea, but it's the first I've heard of such a dogma.

Journeyman said:
As for the religious grounds, what religion objects to national anthems? Not being a religoid myself, I have no idea, but it's the first I've heard of such a dogma.

I know Jehovah's Witnesses do - I remember them always leaving the room when O Canada was sung due to the word "God" in it.  Something to do with the way they interpret the Bible.

Infanteer said:
I know Jehovah's Witnesses do - I remember them always leaving the room when O Canada was sung due to the word "God" in it.  Something to do with the way they interpret the Bible.

It's not the work God.  They beleive that Nationalism is a form of religion, therefore they do not beleive in Anthems, Voting, or serving for any Nation's Government or Military.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
It's not the work God.  They beleive that Nationalism is a form of religion, therefore they do not beleive in Anthems, Voting, or serving for any Nation's Government or Military.

dileas

tess

If they lived in Australia, they would be fined for not voting, as its compulsory here. Shy of being sick or other extenuating circumstances, there is no way out of it.

Cheers,

Wes

CTV.ca today, covered one court case the arouse out of Mr. Millett's anthem policy. Thankfully the NB Board of Education has rescinded that policy.

N.B. man guilty in trial involving O Canada in school
Updated Thu. Jul. 23 2009 10:20 AM ET

The Canadian Press

SUSSEX, N.B. -- A New Brunswick man has been found guilty of threatening the principal of an elementary school where the daily singing of O Canada had been stopped.

Bradley Howland was accused of confronting principal Erik Millett at Belleisle Elementary on Jan. 31, and saying that if the secretary wasn't there, he'd take him outside and beat some sense into him.

Howland said it was just a man-to-man talk in an effort to learn when the anthem would be played again.

But Judge Henrik Tonning says Millett's version is credible, and believes Howland intended to intimidate and instil fear.

Tonning says citizens are not entitled to threaten other citizens because of a difference of opinion.

Sentencing is set for Aug. 28.

Update:
"N.B. schools seek O Canada exemption
'Delicate Subject'":
"Dozens of francophone schools in New Brunswick have applied for an exemption to O Canada after the province's education department mandated that schools that did not want to play the national anthem each day develop other activities to promote patriotism.":
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2182688

"Let the children sing O Canada: Canadian schools sometimes seem as prone to turn out stupid ideas as literate graduates, but some ideas are still dumb enough to warrant special mention. I’m looking at you, New Brunswick.":
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/11/04/matt-gurney-flag-flap.aspx

Back