• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

SevenSixTwo said:
Wow, your good how about this one.

Not really, there are better people on the forum than I. The first one I recognized the french uniforms, and the second has "frenchie" in the piccie title. So I go here:

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/

And keep looking till it shows up....... :)

Larry Strong said:
Not really, there are better people on the forum than I. The first one I recognized the french uniforms, and the second has "frenchie" in the piccie title. So I go here:

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/

And keep looking till it shows up....... :)

Well, I hope this one drives you nuts :D

SevenSixTwo said:
. . .  how about this one.

Also French.  Char G1

As a note:

The way this thread has always worked in the past is that the one who makes the correct identification is acknowledged and posts the next vehicle or, if he doesn't have anything, may open it up to whomever has something at that time.  We usually give people some time to get their next "target" on the thread.  Only if there is a "significant" lag has it been considered acceptable to jump in out of turn.  Before you jumped in the following answer was given:
kkwd said:
M60 Sabra.

kkwd (if he was correct ) would have been the next in line.  If he has anything, the floor is open to him.

Blackadder1916 said:
Also French.  Char G1

As a note:

The way this thread has always worked in the past is that the one who makes the correct identification is acknowledged and posts the next vehicle or, if he doesn't have anything, may open it up to whomever has something at that time.  We usually give people some time to get their next "target" on the thread.  Only if there is a "significant" lag has it been considered acceptable to jump in out of turn.  Before you jumped in the following answer was given:
kkwd (if he was correct ) would have been the next in line.  If he has anything, the floor is open to him.

Nope: This isn't the Char G1 although it looks very similar to the Char G1, the turret and hull are different. If you've found a site that labels it at Char G1 they are incorrect.

EDIT: In reality it's Larry's turn for the floor but there's no harm in answering the last tank anyways.

SevenSixTwo said:
Nope: This isn't the Char G1 although it looks very similar to the Char G1, the turret and hull are different. If you've found a site that labels it at Char G1 they are incorrect.

The two tanks (actually mockups and prototypes) that are usually identified as Char G1 do have similar profiles.  The photo that you provided and that I correctly identified is one of those vehicles.  To be exact it's full (official French government) designation is Char G1P.  The "P" identifies it as being the work of Prince Poniatowski, chief designer for SEAM (Société d'Études et d'Applications Mécaniques).  It is incorrectly inadequately identified (like many others) on the oft visited site TANKS as "Char SEAM".  The other Char G1 most  often seen (there were also several other French companies that submitted designs in this competition, but they didn't go as far) was the Char G1R (for Renault).  It's picture is what accompanies the Wikipedia entry for Char G1.  I originally found this information, years ago, in several "paper" based sources.  You may find additional information at this site http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=689&Itemid=36 .  It is, however, entirely in french.

Blackadder1916 said:
The two tanks (actually mockups and prototypes) that are usually identified as Char G1 do have similar profiles.  The photo that you provided and that I correctly identified is one of those vehicles.  To be exact it's full (official French government) designation is Char G1P.  The "P" identifies it as being the work of Prince Poniatowski, chief designer for SEAM (Société d'Études et d'Applications Mécaniques).  It is incorrectly inadequately identified (like many others) on the oft visited site TANKS as "Char SEAM".  The other Char G1 most  often seen (there were also several other French companies that submitted designs in this competition, but they didn't go as far) was the Char G1R (for Renault).  It's picture is what accompanies the Wikipedia entry for Char G1.  I originally found this information, years ago, in several "paper" based sources.  You may find additional information at this site http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=689&Itemid=36 .  It is, however, entirely in french.

Correct, the tank is in fact the Poniatowski G1 P.

ZBD_97_IFV_91506H.jpg

ZBD-97. One thing when you post a photo, make sure the name of the vehicle is not listed in the properties of that photo.

kkwd said:
ZBD-97. One thing when you post a photo, make sure the name of the vehicle is not listed in the properties of that photo.

Haha thats the first thing I look for in a photo here  ;D

It's obvious, VERY VERY obvious:

2479805705_7163afe896.jpg

But, does anyone know why this tank is significant, and why this photo is so rare?  I think it will at least be of interest to most members following this thread.

-Steve

Its a Panther

My guess as to its significance is that it is the one that is at the Canadian War Museum?

CEEBEE501 said:
Its a Panther

My guess as to its significance is that it is the one that is at the Canadian War Museum?

Correct, with the original paint and markings!  Sadly, it has since recieved a pretty poor restoration.

-Steve

Back