• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nanaimo Mounties end hunt for throat-slasher

211RadOp

Reaction score
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/141797713.html

Nanaimo Mounties hunting for throat-slasher

By Chris Bush - Nanaimo News Bulletin
Published: March 07, 2012 2:00 PM
Updated: March 07, 2012 2:29 PM

Police in Nanaimo are searching for a suspect who slashed the throat of a 23-year-old Canadian Armed Forces reservist waiting for a bus.

The attack happened Tuesday at about 10:40 p.m. at a bus stop on Fifth Street near University Village shopping mall in Nanaimo's Harewood district.

"He was standing there when another male approached and struck up a conversation with him," said Const. Gary O'Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman. "After a few minutes, without provocation or warning, [the suspect] produced a knife and slashed him across the neck."

The assailant ran off through the mall parking lot.

The victim stumbled to a nearby restaurant where staff called 911.

The man was treated at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital for a single slash wound to his neck that required several stitches and was released.

"It's our belief, based on the tone and nature of the conversation the suspect had with the victim, that our victim was assaulted because he was employed with the Armed Forces," O'Brien said.

O'Brien had no other information about the victim or his service history available other than the man holds the rank of Private, is from Nanaimo and was in full uniform at the time of the attack.

The suspect is Caucasian, 20 to 25 years old, about 5'6" in height. He was wearing light or faded blue jeans, and a black jacket with white stripes on the sleeves over a gray hoodie.

Police hope to hear from anyone in the area from 10-11 p.m. who might have seen someone matching the suspect's description.

O'Brien noted there are several restaurants and other businesses in the area that stay open late and police are also reviewing security video footage from those businesses.

"We are asking for the public's assistance in helping us," O'Brien said.

Anyone with information about this attack is asked to call Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com.

Mod edit to title to reflect newest story developments

Not even sure what to say...disgusting comes to mind.

It's Nanaimo!!!  Last I wandered around up there, and despite what the place wants to make itself out to be, it's still a pretty rough town that half owned by the Hell's Angels.

MM

Harewood is a nasty part of Nanaimo, which itself is something of an armpit. Low level rumours suggest the troop in question is on the mend. Let's hope he recovers fully, and the assailant can be brought to justice.

Pure disgusting... good hunting for the RCMP. Makes my stomach turn. This is where I believe every troop in the CF, should be trained in Krav Maga. IMO, of course.

We already have a close quarters combat program, does krav maga teach the specifics of edged-weapon defense? Our program does and may or may not have helped the young reservist in this situation. We don't know all the details, so its hard to determine whether it would have helped.

From a list of gangs in BC:

Independent Soldiers: The newest of the major street gangs, formed from mostly young South Asian men in the drug trade.

Might be the assailant wanted, looking to clear the CF from "their" turf.    :D

ME

PuckChaser said:
We already have a close quarters combat program, does krav maga teach the specifics of edged-weapon defense? Our program does and may or may not have helped the young reservist in this situation. We don't know all the details, so its hard to determine whether it would have helped.

If we do have a close quarters combat program, I haven't received it. I'd hazard a guess to say that most reservists haven't received it, either. The closest I've come has been some bayonet drill and a boxing class for PT.

PatrickO said:
If we do have a close quarters combat program, I haven't received it. I'd hazard a guess to say that most reservists haven't received it, either. The closest I've come has been some bayonet drill and a boxing class for PT.

We do have it, otherwise I have an unauthorized 4 letter course code on my MPRR. It is taught to all Inf pers on their DP1, and is a 2 week program for anyone else provided you have an instructor handy. The instructor course is 6 (?) weeks long and includes the basic qualification. Its available on the army course calender.

Here's some videos from Army News on the techniques: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=canadian+forces+close+quarter+combat

Conservative Nanaimo-area MP James Lunney speaks out in the House of Commons
Mr. Speaker, something happened on Tuesday that sparked outrage in Nanaimo and across the country. About 10:40 in the evening, a young Canadian Forces reservist was waiting for a bus. He was in uniform when he was attacked without warning and without provocation by a young assailant with a knife. Although his throat was slashed, he was able to summon help from a nearby restaurant. He was treated by paramedics, stitched up in hospital and has been released.

While we are all relieved that the reservist will make a full recovery, news of the attack has shocked our community. Canadians are proud of the fine men and women who serve in our armed forces. The Nanaimo regiment is part of the Canadian Scottish Regiment. Reservists train one night a week and one weekend a month. Many of our reservists have volunteered for overseas deployment in places like Bosnia, the Middle East, Africa and for our current mission in Afghanistan. They have aided in domestic crises like the B.C. forest fires, the Manitoba flood and the Ontario and Quebec ice storm.

Nanaimo citizens are proud of our reservists. We are calling for anyone with information to assist police in bringing this cowardly assailant to face the justice he deserves.

Any way the asshat can be charged with committing a "hate crime" when caught and if it is determined that this unprovoked attack upon a CF soldier occured precisely because of the victim's 'distinct' employment group?

FYI, here's the RCMP's statement on the attack (highlights mine - also attached in case link doesn't work for you):
Off Duty Military Member Victim of Knife Attack

File # 2012-5655
2012-03-07 13:39 PST

A 23 year old reservist with the Canadian Forces was injured last night in an unprovoked assault with a knife.

At approximately 10:40 PM on Tuesday March 6th, the male was waiting at a bus stop near the intersection of Bruce Avenue and Fifth Street in Nanaimo, when another male approached. They struck up a conversation and after a few minutes, the suspect male produced a knife and without warning, slashed the reservist across the neck. The man then ran off towards the Harewood Mall.

The injured reservist made his way to a nearby restaurant and called 911. BC Ambulance Service Paramedics responded and transported the victim to hospital where he was treated for his injury. He required several stitches to close the wound and was later released.

Officers were on scene within minutes but were unable to locate the suspect. He is described as being a white male, 20-25 years of age, 5 ft 6" tall, wearing a black jacket with white stripes on the sleeves and lighter colored blue jeans. He also wore a grey hoodie underneath his black jacket.

"Based on information available, we have reason to believe the victim was assaulted because of his involvement with the Canadian Forces", said Superintendent Norm McPhail, Officer in Charge of the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment. "When a member of our military while in uniform is randomly attacked, it is extremely disconcerting. Our Serious Crime Unit has taken over the investigation and are actively pursuing all leads", said McPhail.

The Nanaimo RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance. If you saw an individual matching the description provided or have knowledge of this incident, please call the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477(TIPS) . You can also go online at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com.

ArmyVern said:
Any way the idiot can be charged with committing a "hate crime" when caught and if it is determined that this unprovoked attack upon a CF soldier occured precisely because of the victim's 'distinct' employment group?
I was kinda thinking the same thing - I hope those more expert than me can give me more hope, but so far, the Criminal Code's hate provisions (apart from hate propaganda) that I could find only deal with sentencing:
.... 718.2 A court that imposes a sentence shall also take into consideration the following principles:

(a) a sentence should be increased or reduced to account for any relevant aggravating or mitigating circumstances relating to the offence or the offender, and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing,

(i) evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other similar factor ....
I don't know how legal beagles define "similar factor", but if I was defence counsel, and my client in this case was facing a hate crime punishment, I'd read it as meaning "things outside the victim's control" - you don't volunteer to be a certain "race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation".  I don't know precedents or case law, though, so your legal mileage may vary.

Wild a** speculation re:  any accused?  1)  mental illness and/or 2)  alcohol/drugs seen to affect intent (I've seen murder charges dropped to manslaughter when the accused was on drugs during the crime)

ArmyVern said:
Any way the idiot can be charged with committing a "hate crime" when caught and if it is determined that this unprovoked attack upon a CF soldier occured precisely because of the victim's 'distinct' employment group?

Why bother?  Attempted Murder should stick.

Yes well lets hope he gets it, I suppose it won't hurt to throw the book at him.

Unbelievable...soldiers have to worry about their lives enough while deployed overseas, they don't need people attacking them in the streets in Canada. So disgusting...But similar incidents have happened to other people that I know...not as serious as throat slashing but in particular my sister in law was waiting for the bus when we lived in Ottawa some years back and George W. Bush was in town...there were tons of protestors everywhere and one walked up to her, looked her up and down and attacked her..started kicking her and then ran off. Never caught him and she was ok, but we were in shock.

ArmyVern said:

With all respect (and I do mean a lot of respect) to Vern, I'm frankly surprised this question is even being asked in this forum of 'people who know better'.

If the young reservist is either non-white, has gender issues, belongs to a religion other than Christianity, is a drug user, has mental issues or is a francophone -then sure. Hate crime is a possibility.
But simply because he's a member of the CF...?? Have we forgotten who started all this "hate crime" nonsense in the first place ? It sure wasn't anyone who has any respect or empathy for the CF.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but look at the decisions coming out of the HRCs. Who wins and who doesn't stand a chance.

Personally, I think the best we can hope for is that the slasher resists arrest and receives a proper tune-up by the RCMP.
(unless, of course, he's a member of any of the above-mentioned special interest groups -in which case we'd be looking at a hate crime by the RCMP...)

Back