• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nathaniel Fick

winchable

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.nathanielfick.com/index.html

Excellent writer, a Dartmouth grad turned Marine Officer.
I've been reading One Bullet Away, and while I readily admit I have a bias towards first person writing, this is an excellent book so far (about halfway through).

On the site are links to some of his other writings which I also enjoyed.

I enjoyed his text on his adventures. He pulls no punches and appears to tell the truth about the good and the bad.

Great book, it was interesting because I had read Generation kill before hand so it was interesting to see what the repporter missed when he was with Fick.
UBIQUE!

I actually just finished reading the book this last Friday.  I enjoyed it a lot but got kind of tired of hearing of how he graduated from Darthmouth.

I found this interesting review on Amazon.com from someone who claims to have been in his battalion. 

Politician's Memoir...20 years early, September 19, 2005
Reviewer: Salty Tex "Salty Tex" (Texas and California) - See all my reviews
The author was in my battalion but this is not personal. I approached it as if he was a civilian, as his web site shows with his black turtleneck. I got the book this weekend, digested it, and read parts again today. I will try to keep this short but it's hard; we all heard about Lt Fick's huge book deal and I have waited for this counterpoint to Generation Kill since those Rolling Stones articles hurt our reputation. But the fact is I learned more about Lt Fick in Rolling Stone than I did in his own memoir.

Generation Kill was written about the same platoon (It was no accident the Rolling Stone writer hooked up with a LT who himself wanted to make a name) but was shocked to find I actually enjoyed 'Kill' much better. It angered the hell out of me but it was a page-turner. As the reviews say, this is notcolorful. More than that, its meant to be safe and it's actually boring. No new ground is covered. The combat is sparse. It seems calculated. Lt Fick once told Rolling Stone that Afghanistan was
"The incompetent leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary" So i expected some funny insights or at least true feelings. Instead, I got one of those books a politician writes before a campaign. What are the author's real feelings? No clue except for snetences that could be pulled from a bio.

My main question; what did the publisher pay for? Though the author says it's no big deal he went to dartmouth (a main point is that he was a volunteer like the rest of us) if you look at the jacket and all the reviews, one of the huge selling points he uses is that he was IVY LEAGUE. And SPECIAL FORCES. Huh? So they bought a memoir 20 years before he runs for office..and the thing is there really isn't much here compared to OIF II. Every careful crafted sentence is meant to check a box. But i didn't get an inside look at a platoon whose bad side was exposed so well/badly by Rolling Stone. The author skips all the real drama and chooses master-of-the-obvious. By remaning at 10,000 feet it seems planned from the moment he joined the Corps, as if he was an embed instead of a Marine.

I wish the author nothing but the best and hope he takes care of the Corps when he's a senator, but he's written this life memoir too early...a composite of many other Marine memoirs without the serious combat but with all the seriousness of an "educated man" who dips his toe in the water and then writes an essay about oceangoing. I'm sure civilian reviewers may love this; he's one of them, a thinker with a heart...but also salt-of-the earth. Right? But the fact is the author should have gone back as an XO in OIF II and he never would have written some things he did. And the perspective about combat would have been totally different. If he wrote at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0618556133/ref=cm_rev_sort/103-3460007-3247030?customer-reviews.sort_by=%2BOverallRating&s=books&x=6&y=16 (2nd review down)

The reviewer seems to have reviewed every book about the Iraq war written and his opinion on some other books lends creedence to his opinion

I've finished it (finally) and I must respectfully disagree with the reviewer on Amazon, which apparently was expected by the reviewer himself.

On pretty much every point he says too, not having time right now to pull quotes and references from the book I must say I didn't get the same impression at all.

I might be a piss poor reader too but I didn't get a feeling that he went on and on about Dartmouth beyond passing through Basic.

I stand by my initial reccomendation having finished it now, don't expect Hackworth-like depth and length but it's definitely worth a read.

Back