• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nav Comm questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@RK

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!
I'm 99% sure I want to apply for Nav Comm.  I just have a couple quick questions.

#1  I really do not enjoy doing math and I'm not the greatest at it.  Is there alot of math in this position?

#2  There seems to be alot of IT work with this trade.  Is it pretty basic computer stuff??  Whats the hardest IT/computer part of the job??  What would some of the harder computer jobs be?

I guess in short how hard is the math and computer work in the Nav Comm position.  NESOP is my second choice.  Any thought on that?  I hope someone can help me out. 
Thank-you so much to everyone for responding. 

Mark

M@RK said:
#1  I really do not enjoy doing math and I'm not the greatest at it.  Is there alot of math in this position?
Who does enjoy math?  Your work as a NAVCOMM requires next to no math, if you can add and subtract, then you are good to go. 

M@RK said:
#2  There seems to be alot of IT work with this trade.  Is it pretty basic computer stuff??  Whats the hardest IT/computer part of the job??  What would some of the harder computer jobs be?
The IT work in this trade is not complicated at all, I can't stand IT work and the thought of it right now has my blood pressure rising (if I can be trained, anyone can).  I would have to say the hardest part of the job would be working as a SHIPLAN administrator, and not because it is complicated, but because of the restrictions imposed on you from the land based authorities (BIS out west).  Overall it is pretty basic stuff.

They train you on everything you need to know, and from what I have experienced the LESS you know going into the trade the better.  There are a quite a few "gates" wannabes who bring in their outside experience trying to reinvent the wheel, and that usually ends up causing more problems.

Good Luck with the application

Hey!! 

Thank you so much for the answers.  That was a great help.
I'm glad to hear the math is little to none because I really do not enjoy doing it.  The IT part had me a little bit scared also but if its basic stuff I should be ok.  All and all the Nav Comm trade looks like a great one and I can't wait to get going.
Thank-you again. 

M@RK

IT is not something a new OS will have to worry about anyway.  You will be doing other thrilling jobs and activities...

Dolphin_Hunter said:
  You will be doing other thrilling jobs and activities...

One of those jobs will be trying to figure out how to remuster to AES Op.

:p

CDN Aviator said:
One of those jobs will be trying to figure out how to remuster to AES Op.

:p

Should he not just fore-go Nav Comm altogether and apply straight into AES Op?

JBoyd said:

Some guys just decide to take the extended AES Op training program......lol

CDN Aviator said:
Some guys just decide to take the extended AES Op training program......lol

The extended program blows! 

There are few former NAVCOMMS who can back me up on that fact!

JBoyd said:

Yes he should

Hey everyone!!

Thank-you again everyone for all of the great information.  You guys have me scared now though haha.  Is Nav Comm a bad choice??  I checked out the info on AES Op and it does look like an interesting choice.  Do alot of Nav Comms switch to that trade?  Whats the scoop.  My application is going in very soon.  Ive been brushing up on my math.  I was watching a Navy Ship come into the harbour (Halifax) the other day.  What an incredible site to see.  Can't wait to get out there. 
Thank-you for all of your responses. 

Mark

P.S.  Ive been trying out some semaphore flag waving around the house.  Tricky stuff but fun:)

M@RK said:
You guys have me scared now though haha.  Is Nav Comm a bad choice??

NAVCOMM is not a bad choice, there are no bad choices.  It is your career and your choice, if you are really interested in it and think you will enjoy it, then it is a good choice.

I checked out the info on AES Op and it does look like an interesting choice.  Do alot of Nav Comms switch to that trade? 

AES Op would be a fantastic choice, although I am biased.  I can only think of 5 Naval Communicators who have made the jump to AES Op, no more or no less than any other trade out there. 

Ive been brushing up on my math.

Don't sweat it, if you can subtract 1.8 or 2 from other numbers then you are golden....  (Example 5698-1.8 = _____  or 12456-2 = ______  Congrats you passed!)
Oh and counting (for those ZIC/ZID totals).  Unless things have changed you won't have to worry about any math during your training.

P.S.  Ive been trying out some semaphore flag waving around the house.  Tricky stuff but fun:)

I will pretend you didn't type that.  There are many other things I can think of doing for fun, semaphore is not one of them!

http://navalcommunicator.com/

Visiting that website is not on my "fun" list...

Excellent!!  Thank-you so much for all of the great information.  I can't wait.  I write my aptitude test on April 30th.

Mark

My countdown is on!!  I write the aptitude test on the 30th so I have been going over math like crazy. 

I'm glad to here the Nav Comm position has little to no math in it as I do not enjoy it at all.  I'm still abit scared about the IT part.  In the training it list A Plus Curriculum and Network Plus Curriculum.  I have no idea whats those are.  As someone with basic computer skills will this be something crazy for me??  Maybe its just last minute jitters but as a guy who is freaked out at math and IT should I be doing Nav Comm?  How much of a day does a Nav Comm spend doing IT stuff?  Wouldn't a communication tech do most of the IT stuff?  What does a typical Nav Comms day look like?? (would love to know abou that the most)  At shore and sea??  I just want to make the right choice.  I want a job I will love and that will benefit the navy by having me in it.  I guess I could always change later.  Sorry for all of the new questions and hopefully someone can help me out.  I'm looking to make a 25+ year career out of this so I want to do it right!!

Don't sweat it.

They like to brand the Navcomm trade as the I.T. trade, but more than 70% of the comms employed don't have anything to do with I.T.

One step at a time.

Your typical day will depend on where you are posted.

Why are you so set on joining as a Navcomm?  You don't sound completely sold on the trade.  Be aware that switching trades (once you are in), isn't always easy.

Hey Dolphin_Hunter!!

Thank-you again for writing me back and giving me lots of advice.  If your on the east coast I will have to take you out for a beer!!

My father is a ham radio/Morris code buff and I always loved playing around with the radio also.  He worked with the Coast Guard for 35 years and I remember talking to him on his ham radio at the house.  He would sail all over the world and talk to us on the radio.  I thought it was pretty cool.  That is why I'm 99% sold on Nav Comm.  All of the stuff with the flags seems pretty cool also.  The part that scares me though is the more I look into the job the more I hear IT.  I don't mind computers at all but would prefer to not be to heavily involved with them I guess.
I also looked at NESOP, NCI OP, BOSN and SON OP.  So I'm really all over the place but Nav Comm won out for me with NESOP second.  IT is what makes me worry.  Although I know the training would be top notch my computer interest is small.
I write my aptitude test Thursday so that is my next step. 

Thanks again for everything.

Mark

M@RK said:
  The part that scares me though is the more I look into the job the more I hear IT.  I don't mind computers at all but would prefer to not be to heavily involved with them I guess.

I'm not sure how many more times people like D_H can say dont worry about it, its not that intensive wrt IT.

M@RK said:
My father is a ham radio/Morris code buff and I always loved playing around with the radio also. 

That's "Morse", and it's his birthday - see Google homepage for reference :)

I don't mind computers at all but would prefer to not be to heavily involved with them I guess.

No worries - if you want to avoid IT and stick to the old "Nav Sig" stuff, you'll have no problem staying on the bridge.  Very few of the older Nav Comms want to do Vis.

M@RK said:
...I'm still a bit scared about the IT part.  In the training it list A Plus Curriculum and Network Plus Curriculum.  I have no idea what those are.  As someone with basic computer skills will this be something crazy for me??...

As someone once told me: "Google is your friend"  ;D

Check these links:
http://www.jidaw.com/whatisaplus.html

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aido.html

A+ and Network+ are certification courses that introduce you to basics of computer hardware (motherboards, processors, memory and other peripherals) and networking (cabling, protocols, etc.).
Good Luck!

Hello everyone!!

CDN Aviator!!  Your right he has told me a lot:)  I think I'm alittle more calm about it now with everyone telling me its not to bad.  I should do fine.

Occam!!  Happy belated birthday Samuel Finley Breese Morse!!  I did Google him.  Pretty interesting fellow.  A good read.  Thank-you for your info on the IT portion of the job also.

korabian!!  Thank-you so much for the two websites.  A lot of great info and a lot of answers to my questions.  Really good info actually.  Thanks!!

Thank-you everyone!!  This really is a great site for people like me who are looking into the military.  A lot of great info.  Thank-you also for taking time out to come on here and answer questions!!  When your looking for a job that you plan on doing for 25 years every bit of info helps. 

Thank-you thank-you thank-you!! 

Mark

You are welcome! I am glad I could help. I am going Navy too: NE TECH (Com).  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back