• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Ensign

E.R. Campbell said:
St. John's? No ... sadly.

I forgot to "source" the picture  :-[  ... it was posted by COMRCN, presumably it's from the navy's in house PR machine.

Roger that Edward.....

E.R. Campbell said:
And the new white ensign is "worn" (I think that's the right term) for the first time in Canadian waters/on Canadian soil by HMCS Cabot, in St John's, this morning.

I'm assuming that's the proper location ... the gaff?

Looks just fine.

"Hoisted" I think is the term the bunting tossers use...and the reverse is "hauled down".  The gaff is definitely the highest place of honour on the mast - I'm just not sure if I reversed port/stbd in my description above.  It might be as viewed from the front of the mast, with the gaff towards you.  I'll have to dig out some of my Dad's old Seamanship manuals and take a look.

And it does look good.

Fred Herriot said:
Damn!  Called it right!

Then again, it is a simple thing to do with next to no cost at all to the taxpayers.

Except for when they have to make the big war ensigns ships love to fly when they're at seas; the types that could drape over half the flight deck of a Halifax-class ship.

You mean like this?

BIAHwz0CIAAFlDO.jpg:large

My (vague) understanding is that warships should fly these monsters when engaging the enemy. Are there other rules, like fly it when sailing in allied flotillas? Is it captain's discretion?

Canadian.Trucker said:
How is HMCS St. John's able to be at sea without fuel?  I kid I kid.
Pffft, what a Pongo!  You can clearly see PRESERVER right behind her there.  Lots of fuel to be had.  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:
My (vague) understanding is that warships should fly these monsters when engaging the enemy. Are there other rules, like fly it when sailing in allied flotillas? Is it captain's discretion?

I am not sure of the criteria for flying it. I know when we raced across the Atlantic following the fire on board CHI, we flew the battle ensign as we approached CHI and entered Faslane with her.

jollyjacktar said:
Pffft, what a Pongo! 
Don't make me slap you with your own hand!  If I'm a pongo, you're a ponti.

But my jest was in reference to the recent fuel spill that HMCS St. Johns had in Halifax harbour, just to connect the dots.

Canadian.Trucker said:
How is HMCS St. John's able to be at sea without fuel?  I kid I kid.

That's a Battle Ensign?  I thought it was a back-up sail in case of fuel loss!  >:D

A Captain can fly their Battle Ensign whenever he or she chooses, basically.  Often when undertaking high visibility events, such as sail pasts, etc.  you have to make sure you have sufficient relative wind from ahead to keep the flag as taught as possible, lest it foul your gear or your mast, which is at a minimum embarrassing.

Pat in Halifax said:
I am not sure of the criteria for flying it. I know when we raced across the Atlantic following the fire on board CHI, we flew the battle ensign as we approached CHI and entered Faslane with her.

Quick derail... We sailed together... I was TD'd to STJ for that trip...

Canadian.Trucker said:
Don't make me slap you with your own hand!  If I'm a pongo, you're a ponti.

But my jest was in reference to the recent fuel spill that HMCS St. Johns had in Halifax harbour, just to connect the dots.
535344012.jpg

;D    yeah, I was following the dots.

"to keep the flag as taught as possible"

Who "taught" you how to spell "taut"?...lol

;D damn autocorrect.  Alternately, I am a CO, I have people to spell taut for me

Do they blare "Ride of the Valkyries" over the PA system as well?

cupper said:
Do they blare "Ride of the Valkyries" over the PA system as well?

Well, CALGARY used to play the Calgary Stampede theme during the breakaway after a RAS :)

daftandbarmy said:
Another difference between the Navy and the other two services who, provided with a bow like that, would have painted a red mouth with white teeth and a pair of feline type eyes around it by now. Grrrrr.....  :nod:

Couldn't resist resuscitating this thread, as I knew I had read the post above.

Daftandbarmy, do you mean like this (picture of HMS Dragon, recently commissioned):

http://www.imeche.org/images/default-source/pe-news-width-454/1365_e8b1c44ea5fc72e0a6359796967760a0_454x250.jpg

Oldgateboatdriver said:
http://www.imeche.org/images/default-source/pe-news-width-454/1365_e8b1c44ea5fc72e0a6359796967760a0_454x250.jpg

That's awesome  :)

Back