• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy whites

CallOfDuty

Inactive
Reaction score
  Hey there guys......I was wondering, at what point do we receive our white DEU's?  Do we have to pay for those?  At what times are Navy whites worn, instead of black?
Cheers guys
Steve :cdn:

Your white pants (and skirt for women), shoes and belt should have been issued to you at the same time as your other kit.  Bring it up to your supervisor that you do not yet have them.  You are not required to pay for the initial issue of these.

You will wear the pants/skirt with your short-sleeve white shirt as required.  You will be told ahead of time when they will be required dress, but it is typically in foreign ports for fancy functions (ex. Portland Rose Fest, Admiral's cocktail party at Seattle Seafest etc.  In otherwords, functions in warmer climates)

The whites that you do have to pay for are what is known as the "high collar whites".  This is a fancy white tunic with, obviously, a high collar.  This will not be an ordered dress, as it is something that is made for you, and paid for out of your own pocket.  Many guys will get this for themselves for a wedding or such, and to have for such things as (once again) Rose Fest.

Hmm..as far as I know, nobody is issued Whites at St. Jean..............I'll have to ask about them.  Thanks for your reply navymich.

I think I got my whites when I was assigned to the Yukon. Never had them at basic, or at Nelles...and never a need for them at that point.

Only wore them once, for change of command on the ship..and got the pants dirty when I sat down to type out the official message. I didn't bother wearing them again after that.

So we're sending boats down to the Rose Fest again? Nice to hear. Fun time but really took a toll on my liver  ;D

Court

ACIGSkyler said:
So we're sending boats down to the Rose Fest again? Nice to hear. Fun time but really took a toll on my liver  ;D

I think I was there the last 2 years. The canmove arrival and departure messages I typed said I was there, but nope, don't really remember being there.  ;)

I don't think I breathed a sober breath while in Portland. I think we had enough Sigs onboard that I didn't pull duty there, or if I did I was so hungover I probably was still drunk  ;D It was pretty hot the year that I was there and think the guys giving tours were in their whites.

The whites are a good look, and glad I wasn't in during the all green era.

Court

.............safe to assume I wont get me whites until I get posted to a ship? ;)

CallOfDuty said:
.............safe to assume I wont get me whites until I get posted to a ship? ;)

Believe so. I believe you can pick them up when you get your Naval combats and assorted gear when doing your in routine.

Court

OPSEC please....not too many Portland Rose fest stories are releaseable.  ;)

OnTrack said:

hehe, that's okay, I can't tell stories if I can't remember them now, can I.... ;D

OnTrack said:

I was actually a good boy my one and only time there....except for getting hammered every waking moment. Wandered into town once for a coffee and checked out a couple USN and USCG boats. Our ships were popular with the locals gals not old enough to drink in local pubs  ;D

I think it was the year after I got out (messy business), that the USN decided not to attend so we didn't send any ships. It was sad to hear that because it was a good trip, and lots of people visited the ships. I still have my shirt and mug with all the ships that attended the year I was there. I was also surprised at the support the USN personnel get in different cities, something I didn't feel up here.

But getting off topic I guess and sorry for that. Nice to be around serving, former, and soon to be sailors.

Court

The Portland Rose festival is a great time, definately bring your dress uniforms, one of radio stations put on a Meet the Fleet Ball, and women are lined up out side in ball gowns just waiting to get, definately good times

I got my whites issued at bmq, skirt and pants and a belt - even though the women's pants don't require a belt - maybe the skirt does, I've never checked.

I almost had to wear them last week at divisions but it turned out we had to go somewhere else that day so we weren't required at divisions.

You have six years to get your inital entitlement of kit so dont sweat not having the whites until you need them the ship will let you know. As for the high collar tunic just wait until you go to San Dieago or somewhere that has a navy exchange and just purchase one there and take it back to the tailor in esquimalt or halifax and have them put the white canadas on the sholder and the proper buttons as the high collar tunic is the same as the USN tunic it will save you from finding someone that can make it and most times it is cheaper to just buy it. Only officers are required to have the high collar tunic NCM's are not but nothing says you cant get it if you want. I was on ships for 7 years and wore my whites once.

I've never worn my whites here in Halifax.

Only twice did I wear them, once was during a forced reception in Trinidad & Tobago and the other was coming as a the Fo'c'sle party while coming alongside some port where we all ended up submitting chits to supply to get the pants/shirts replaced dur to tar etc!

Look nice... yes, practicle.... not really.

I think our Tropical White Longs (TWLs) are one of the best looking rigs we have.  We recently had a unit divisions where I work and the dress was whites, and it made for a very naval looking turn out.

I wish high collar whites were issued and used as a rig more; I've worn mine twice, both times to a wedding.  The other thing I'd like to see is white shorts and tall white socks for tropical wear.

...sorry guys....another question.  Speaking of weddings, my best friend is getting married in September, now that I am a CF member, am I obligated to wear my Dress uniform?

Back