• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy whites

That would be a no. You are not obligated to wear your uniform for non military activities.

I think you can get your whites on line now eh??

logistic unicorp????

you would need enough points though.

Go to D206 once your in HFX and get sized they might give you your whites :)

Yes, you can get your whites online.  However, initial issue is still done through clothing stores.

Thanks for all the replies guys  :)
    Navy_Blue, I'll check out D206 tomorrow, thanks.
Steve

navymich said:
Yes, you can get your whites online.  However, initial issue is still done through clothing stores.

I got my initial whites just a couple weeks ago through Unicorp's website.   I was told you couldnt get them at clothing stores anymore.  I had to use my points to get them which I don't feel is right since they weren't a replacement.

I am at the Portand Rose Fest right now and it is very impressive, Portland is a beautiful city, reminds me of Vancouver.

Yes you are correct, you shouldn't have had to use your points to get them!!!  As they were issued for free from clothing stores, and you were never issued them from the beginning! 

As a Chaplain....I would advise all young sailors to forget they ever heard the words "Portland Rose Festival"  :eek:  I was there in another life....81 (pre-Padre days....OMG!)

Whites are initial issue....your stores man let you down. So much of that going on now. Guy in the CSOR in Halifax today had no clue what the heck he was doing when I tried to get some Peoplesoft info.

Whites are a pain...I never wear them cause they get dirty in a mega second. Very impractical rig.
Wore the high collar once three years ago to marry a couple who asked me to wear them instead of my Padre Rig...it was fun but kinda a pain....the collar gets dirty pretty easily. (I bought mine in the Navy PX in San Diego)

I love seeing the whites and would love my husband to wear them more often, but as most of you have said, they are a pain.

I loved the PX in S.D too....was there in 1999 ;D

Springroll said:
I love seeing the whites and would love my husband to wear them more often, but as most of you have said, they are a pain.

I loved the PX in S.D too....was there in 1999 ;D

Like I said, the Ladies like them on us...lol

Thinking about going to Whidbey Island NAS in Washington State for a visit, and pick up my high collar white choker while I'm there. Anyone interested in tagging along?

They aren't that much of a pain. It's ordinary rig of the day here in Darwin, all year long.

And they do look good.

CallOfDuty said:
...sorry guys....another question.  Speaking of weddings, my best friend is getting married in September, now that I am a CF member, am I obligated to wear my Dress uniform?

For private functions, no. There is a new CANFORGEN (or something similar) that encourages CF Members to wear their uniforms to public and/or civilian functions, and it applies unconditionally to Reg F as there is generally no restrictions to them wearing their uniforms.

I vaguely remember the message, but it seemed to be directed to Reg F. So P Res pers should probably tell their stupervision of their intention to wear their uniform, as a cross your "I's" and dot your "T's" sort of C-Y-A thing. But I don't know any Reservist that's been jacked up for wearing their uniform to a wedding without asking pretty-please.

As always, mileage may vary.

Wolfmann said:
So P Res pers should probably tell their stupervision of their intention to wear their uniform...

I suggest asking, it might come off better. ;)  This is a great time to use a request form or even (for the jr bodies) to learn how to write a memo.  Something simple and basic, but the higher ups like to see it.

Wolfmann said:
For private functions, no. There is a new CANFORGEN (or something similar) that encourages CF Members to wear their uniforms to public and/or civilian functions, and it applies unconditionally to Reg F as there is generally no restrictions to them wearing their uniforms.

I vaguely remember the message, but it seemed to be directed to Reg F. So P Res pers should probably tell their stupervision of their intention to wear their uniform, as a cross your "I's" and dot your "T's" sort of C-Y-A thing. But I don't know any Reservist that's been jacked up for wearing their uniform to a wedding without asking pretty-please.

As always, mileage may vary.

When I joined in 77 you were supposed to get permission if you wanted to get married in Mess Dress.....which I always found funny as that was the uniform we paid for ourselves. the reason given by my Div O was that the norm would be to get married in your Service Dress with swords and medals....Mess Dress, I was told, is evening apparel for wear "in the Mess." at the time Service Dress was the CF greens which were not exactly "Pusser" for us Navy guys.
My Niece is getting married next year and as she is RC I'm just going to be Uncle IHS rather than Padre IHS and I fully intend to wear high collar whites for the occasion and as per the CANFORGEN urging us to wear uniform I don't intend to ask my COs permission. As her "intended" is RCMP and all those guys will be in Red Serge it'll compliment well me thinks.

airmich said:
I suggest asking, it might come off better. ;)  This is a great time to use a request form or even (for the jr bodies) to learn how to write a memo.  Something simple and basic, but the higher ups like to see it.

Ach so...ooops. Wrong word usage there.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Mess Dress, I was told, is evening apparel for wear "in the Mess." at the time Service Dress was the CF greens which were not exactly "Pusser" for us Navy guys.

I'm sure there were a few reasons. The official reason I've been told, and give, is that Mess Dress, though bought out of pocket, is still a uniform of the CF, regulated by CFP-265...blah, blah...

My Niece is getting married next year and as she is RC I'm just going to be Uncle IHS rather than Padre IHS and I fully intend to wear high collar whites for the occasion and as per the CANFORGEN urging us to wear uniform I don't intend to ask my COs permission. As her "intended" is RCMP and all those guys will be in Red Serge it'll compliment well me thinks.

The CANFORGEN was pretty specific. Command wants to increase the public image of the CF.

the real nice thing about wearing whites when you go to foreign ports especially during events like the PRF and Fleet week in say New York is A. The girls really like it, especially if you have shrapnel to hang off your chest, specialty badges, ribbons; and B. you usually don't have to pay for a lot of your drinks and even sometimes your meals. One thing about the yanks, they definitly know how to look after the military, any military.
Marc

Agreed. In the early eighties I sailed up the canal to Stockton California aboard the good ship Saskatchewan. We went up for the festival up there and as we were there on a good will visit we were ordered to wear our uniforms ashore. Even though people were somewhat confused over the green-ness of the uniform (are you Canadian marines?) we were treated as heroes. The American hostages in Iran had just been rescued by the Canadian actions of Ken Taylor our ambassador there. Me and my buddy were standing in line at a fancy restaurant and the guy ahead of us turned and thanked us and shook our hands. After supper the manager told us that guy had paid our bill. He had already left the restaurant so we couldn't even thank him. Yes Americans respect and love their people in uniform!

Too true my freind, 3 years ago in NYC, me and some buddies went to a bar on Statten Island, when I went up to order my beer the guy wouldn't take my money. It was very cool.  I sailed on the Saskatchewan in the early 90's. Just one trip but it was my first one in  the Navy, I didn't even have a trade then, I was a PAT, just out of Cornwallis. We went to Vancouver/Gastown/No. 5 Orange. Fun,Fun,Fun.
Feet :cdn:

M Feetham said:
Too true my freind, 3 years ago in NYC, me and some buddies went to a bar on Statten Island, when I went up to order my beer the guy wouldn't take my money. It was very cool.  I sailed on the Saskatchewan in the early 90's. Just one trip but it was my first one in  the Navy, I didn't even have a trade then, I was a PAT, just out of Cornwallis. We went to Vancouver/Gastown/No. 5 Orange. Fun,Fun,Fun.
Feet :cdn:

No 5 Orange...hmmm I don't know that address...ha ha  ;)

Back