• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM Subsidized Education Plan (NCM SEP)

Everything, Tuition, pay, PLD if you receive any, also I believe any other benefits you get(move cost, dental medical) not too sure about those but pay, tuition, PLD and books for sure. We had one guy quit around the 1 year mark and he owed over $80,000.

If you are not sure, don't waste your time and effort, and don't waste the CF's resources because if you decide to quit you have to pay back that money within I believe 10 years.

Thanks for your reply! I've also heard that there is a 6 month period from when you sign that you are able to get out of your contract if you find the CF is not for you. Is there any truth to this? Or is this all just stupid rumours..

It is 6months before you acquire obligatory service if your in the Army and Air Force, but if you are in the Navy navy its a year. But again, if you are not sure, don't even try as the release is time consuming but also you release in a manner that might restrict your future decisions if you ever wanted back in to the CF.

Just my opinion here but generally the first two queries at a job interview are "What is your education and what is your experience?" These various CF programs give you both at a relatively early point in your life.
Every job will have its drawbacks but if you do find the perfect job with no negative attributes, post it here-There will be an avalanche of applicants!

What do you mean when you say " acquire obligatory service".. Sorry, I'm a little new at this..

Crowell85 said:
What do you mean when you say " acquire obligatory service".. Sorry, I'm a little new at this..

When the CF pays for certain types of training and education, you are required to serve for a certain length of time after you complete that training so the CF can ensure a return on its investment.  That period of time is referred to as "obligatory service".

So if you were to go Amy or Airforce you have 6 months where you can be in before you HAVE to serve your full commitment, and 1 year with the Navy? Is that what that means?

No.  Let's say you are paid by the military for two years to attend technical college.  After you graduate, you will be required to continue serving for 4 years (all figures approximate).  That 4 years where you have to serve is called "obligatory service".

dataperson, from what the ULO was telling us, you don't acquire obligatory service before 6 months, at the 6 month mark you acquire obligatory service and cannot quit without paying back every cent. For the Navy its one year, but what they told us is that people who try to abuse the system end up paying weather they like to or not.

Crowell85:
I am not sure what GD is getting at either.
We used to call it (in days of old when the name also described the terms of service!), an FPS (Fixed Period of Service) and dapaterson has explained how that works - You owe a year for every year of education essentially.

I joined under one of these programs in 1982 on a 6 year FPS. Once classes started 4 months after joining, I was hooked. I am not sure what this 6 month - one year thing is unless it is a new policy to entice applicants.

I'll say it again though, not only is it free but you are paid to get an education AND experience - Win, win all around...and you may actually decide you like it and 'hang around' for a little more like people like me have done!!

There may be an initial window where oblig service does not accrue - one last chance to be a quitter.  I'm not sure; I'm not in subsidized education management.

But I will observe that when you go into something already looking for the way out it doesn't bode well...

dataperson, I completely agree with you my personal advice to Crowell85 is not to even waste the CFs time and money nor his time. The thing is that even if you join and thing your smart enough to quit before the deadline the CF owns you, and can hold you after the 6 months or 1 year because contract was signed.

Actually, I thought about this on the walk from work last night (Don't ask why!). NCM SEP is a unique program. It assumes an individual is already enrolled in a program and paying out of their own pocket. As an example, someone in their second year of say a MechEng Diploma Program at College applies to the CF. I am not entirely sure how it all works and could not find specifics after a search through the internet as well as the DIN but once this individual is enrolled, obviously if he/she decides midway into third year that they want 'out', they will not be paying back all tuition etc. Even then though, 1 years worth of salary, tuition, books etc even through a College is alot of bucks.
Maybe someone within recruiting can answer this one. I did call someone over at DMTE (Director Maritime Training and Education) but after last summers restructuring, all the stuff they used to do wrt to PLARS etc has been delegated down to the individual TEs.

This thread is relatively dead so I figured for anyone interested I'd share my experience thus far as an NCM SEP.  I browsed this forum countless times during my recruitment process and happen to be one of the lucky ones who made it.  As an update for George Wallance and others that may be local, North Island College in Campbell River BC also qualifies for the SEP Program. 

The old saying the squeaky wheel gets the oil cannot be more true when it comes to recruitment.  I didn't actually have the math requirements to enter into the program due to my "honey badger" attitude towards it in high school.  Not letting that deter me I contacted my “instructor to be"  and had a good BS with him, by the end of the conversation I was offered an unconditional acceptance to the program.  However, I did have to sign a performance waiver.  Moral of the story is if you want it, don't stop until you get it. 

I got my call last spring which was slightly too late for me to do basic.  I swore in on Sept 1st and started my first day of class on the 6th.  I was extremely nervous and by the end of the second week I was second guessing my choice in life and wanted to run.  I stuck through it and slowly started getting more comfortable with the learning material and schedule.  It is very math intensive, nothing a math tutor and hard work can't fix.  I passed my math course with 93%.  We learned DC theory, AC theory, Semi-conductors, Op. Amps, Mirco-proccessing, Vex robotics...etc.  It was a challenging yet rewarding time; I met a lot of good people and thoroughly enjoyed the course.

I ended up passing first year with a 94% average and will be working at the marine base in Comox B.C. over the summer.  I assume i'll be doing general duties which I welcome to give my brain a bit of a break.  I start my second year course, Industrial Automation, which deals with process control and analysis, fluid hydraulics, pneumatic air control...etc.  After second year I will be sent to Monreal for basic, then Halifax for NETP.

I hope this helps someone in their journey, if there are any questions feel free to get a hold of me. 

WENGTECH :cdn:

Thanks for your post!

Actually I have my first year of a Electronics Engineering Technician program completed and I'll be officially merit listed in the coming days for NCM-SEP! So I have to wait until August for selections.

The captain told me that my file was competitive and that my chances were very good. I can't wait!! I to excited!!

ATIS was my 1st choice
2- W Eng tech (NCM-SEP)
3- EO tech (NCM-SEP)

If (If!!) they offer me both of ATIS and W Eng tech, I don't know which one I'll take... NAVY or AIR FORCE  :-\

Oh and I forgot! In Quebec (Cegep de Sherbrooke), we have 13 weeks of vacations during the summer and the QMB is a 14 weeks program...

I'm certainly not the first one who did NCM-SEP in Quebec so, do you know if we can do it at the end of our 3 years of college?

Thank you  :salute:

That would be a question for your chain of command  But why would you want to?  You would already be making a lot more from your salary.

philipp said:
Hi everyone,

Do you know if we can a a part time job during NCM-SEP ?

From what I know, a part-time job while in NCMSEP is possible but it depends on your marks meaning that you will not get approval for part-time job if you are struggling in school. Also as you will be making a nice salary it might not be worth it to get a part-time job.

Thanks for your reply,

I'm actually full-time in college (electronic engineering, telecom) and I have a 85% average. My step-mother own a hotel and I do some maintenance on the weekend (give me a clean 650$/month). It's not the end of the world if I stop, but I make this for 1 year and I was able to maintain a good average. Like you said, that would be a question for my chain of command ! Plus, I'm just merit listed, but I want to be prepared  ;)

Hope to be ATIS like you GD!

Back