• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM Subsidized Education Plan (NCM SEP)

Canuck_55555 said:
How would I be able to get a education plan and be an artillery soldier (not under ROTP)?
Join the reserves. You get $2000 a year to go to post secondary school up to $8000 max. That's the only way you're going to do it.

PuckChaser said:
Join the reserves. You get $2000 a year to go to post secondary school up to $8000 max. That's the only way you're going to do it.

That certainly is a good method. But with ILP's he has access to 40,000 dollars. He just has to work harder.

Reserves is definitely not a bad option though. He won't face the monotony and burnout.

Canuck_55555 said:
What is ILP? I can’t get a good answer off of the internet. And also, after I am done university (if I go with the reserve plan) can I just go straight to regular force?
Thank you for your help.

I have heard varied anecdotes on people's experience entering the regular force through the reserves. I am unfamiliar with the process and any one persons experience may not reflect yours.

Canuck_55555 said:
What is ILP? I can’t get a good answer off of the internet. And also, after I am done university (if I go with the reserve plan) can I just go straight to regular force?
Thank you for your help.
You would apply for a component transfer and wait in line. Could take 6 months, could take 3 years. It depends on the trade.

Couple notes.

Cwes said:
That certainly is a good method. But with ILP's he has access to 40,000 dollars. He just has to work harder.

Reserves is definitely not a bad option though. He won't face the monotony and burnout.
40,000?? What education plan is that?  I'm not aware of an education plan in the CAF that gives you access to $40,000.

Also to clarify on the Education Reimbursement Plan for Reservists.  It is not automatic, you must apply for it (it's done through the ILP - Individual Learning Plan and will be reviewed by CDA Kingston).  You must be completed Basic Training, you cannot go Non-effective strength during the year and you can't be on exempt drill and training in the year either.  The way the policy is written is that the education that you're applying for must be related to your current occupation in the CAF; or a future occupation that you would like to be in the CAF; if it does not translate to an occupation in the CAF it will not approved (and I've seen people turned down).  If approved you are eligible to 50% of tuition/books/tutoring fee's/etc to a maximum of $2,000/year to a career max of $8,000 - that means that if you only spend $2,000 in a year; you will only receive $1,000 in education reimbursement.

Buck_HRA said:
Couple notes.
40,000?? What education plan is that?  I'm not aware of an education plan in the CAF that gives you access to $40,000.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/guide/programs-canadian-forces/er.html

Note 1:
Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD) 5031-5, 5031-6, Compensation and Benefit Instructions (CBI) 210.80, 210.801, 210.802, Canadian Forces (CF) Military Personnel Instruction 17-04, CANFORGEN 136/04

Note 2:
Education Reimbursement for the Regular Force (ER Reg) – Eligible members may apply to be reimbursed 100% tuition and other eligible education upgrading related expenses for courses leading to a university or college degree, diploma, or certificate. This program applies to Regular Force members participating in part-time study.

A degree usually costing roughly 40,000 dollars after supplies.

Many of my Reg Force superiors, NCO's and Officers included informed me and directed me to this source.

If I read that wrong, I'd love to be educated on it as to not lead myself or other astray. Also if I am wrong, perhaps ammendment is in order for clarity.

Cwes said:
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/guide/programs-canadian-forces/er.html

Note 1:
Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD) 5031-5, 5031-6, Compensation and Benefit Instructions (CBI) 210.80, 210.801, 210.802, Canadian Forces (CF) Military Personnel Instruction 17-04, CANFORGEN 136/04

Note 2:
Education Reimbursement for the Regular Force (ER Reg) – Eligible members may apply to be reimbursed 100% tuition and other eligible education upgrading related expenses for courses leading to a university or college degree, diploma, or certificate. This program applies to Regular Force members participating in part-time study.

A degree usually costing roughly 40,000 dollars after supplies.

Many of my Reg Force superiors, NCO's and Officers included informed me and directed me to this source.

If I read that wrong, I'd love to be educated on it as to not lead myself or other astray. Also if I am wrong, perhaps ammendment is in order for clarity.

Please note that there is no cap on the Regular Force plan; which is why stating that there is a plan giving you access to $40,000 is misleading.  The Regular Force Education Reimbursement Plan reimburses for actual costs incurred.  With tuition and books I didn't spend $40,000 on my University Degree (especially considering the majority of my courses for Criminology & Law didn't require textbooks; most of it was made available online through the instructor); so in my case I would not have had access to $40,000 - this is why the statement is misleading.

If you read the DOAD the only mention of an actual dollar amount is the Primary Reserve plan.  I hope this provides clarity on my statement. 

The proper statement would be that a Regular Force member has access to funds that would pay for their degree (if approved); with no maximum amount specified.

Buck_HRA said:
Please note that there is no cap on the Regular Force plan; which is why stating that there is a plan giving you access to $40,000 is misleading.  The Regular Force Education Reimbursement Plan reimburses for actual costs incurred.  With tuition and books I didn't spend $40,000 on my University Degree (especially considering the majority of my courses for Criminology & Law didn't require textbooks; most of it was made available online through the instructor); so in my case I would not have had access to $40,000 - this is why the statement is misleading.

If you read the DOAD the only mention of an actual dollar amount is the Primary Reserve plan.  I hope this provides clarity on my statement. 

The proper statement would be that a Regular Force member has access to funds that would pay for their degree (if approved); with no maximum amount specified.

Very helpful. Thank you.

I had made the mistake of assuming that those who told me that information had discussed funding limits with a BPSO.

Hey everyone! I have recently accepted an offer for NCM STEP Dental Tech!  I will be attending school away from my primary residence where my spouse is currently posted. I’m wondering if any others that have enrolled this way had been entitled to benefits such as separation pay or had their accommodations paid for?

Back