• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM to Officer ( merged )

techie

Inactive
Reaction score
I just recently was offered a position in the CF as a LCIS tech. and i am heading to BMQ in St. Jean for the Aug 21.(YAY) I plan on having a long and fruitful carear in the forces, but one day i would like to get a degree to be an engineer. Ive read all that i could find on the recruiting site, and done searches on these forums, but i didn't find anyone that has went from NCM to Officer(except for pilots). (CEOTP)

From what i have read the requirements were minimun rank of Cpl. and a C/O's recommendation. Can anyone give me an idea of the current process of applying(when i do hit that point in my service) and what hoops/tests i would have to go through. Also, what would i be looking at in the time that i would complete my degree, and what rank i would be after i completed my degree?

You want to search for University Training Plan for NCMs or UTPNCM.

Hey,Im a was a bit  in the same situation as you,I did some research on the recruiting site of the cf www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca

There is a section that talks about the officer entry plans ,I got answers to my questions from there.

I hope it helps!

Currently I am a NCM. My university degree (undergraduate) will be completed in 3-4 years and I would like some guidance on becoming an officer.

I'd like to become an officer and I'm not sure which route to take. The CF offers several programs for this and I need some guidance.

The programs I know of are RESO and DEO. My options are pretty simple.

Option 1 - DEO: Obtain Master Corporal, finish my degree and then become an officer.
Option 2 - RESO: Apply for officer training during my bachelor's and start officer training right away.

You have another option.  If you are regular force, then you can apply for the University Training Plan for Non Commissioned Members (UTPNCM).  You only need be a Cpl, have two credits at a Canadian University, and be accepted into a university.  Oh, you must also be recommended by your chain of command.  Talk to your chain of command, and search for "UTPNCM" on this site.

Cheers, and I hope this helps, even if only a bit.

Hi,

I'm currently an RMS Clerk (Reserves) that has completed BMQ, BMQL and Driver Wheel courses.  I have not completed a QL3.

I have a university degree and would like to become a Logistics Officer; my questions pertain to CAP training.  Through searching around the forum I've been able to find out that CAP training for reservists is 5 weeks long (5 mods).

Will any of the courses I've already completed reduce the amount of CAP mods I will need to take? 

Will I have to take BMQ again as well (Officer edition) as I'm transitioning from NCM?

Finally, is it possible to complete some of the CAP on weekends?

Thanks in advance! :cdn:

In brief:

On top of BMQ you will require BMOQ, an officer add-on to BMQ.  It may be offered on weekends, but I've usually seen it offered for (I think) a two-week block prior to the summer.

CAP is not offered on weekends. It's modules of two weeks each, generally offered in Gagetown.  It's preferable to do the whole thing in one shot, but can be done in smaller chunks if your availability is less.

Army Reserve Log training is DL (Mod 1) in the Jan-April timeframe, followed by Mod 2 (Common) in Borden for two weeks, then Mod 3, either Supply and Transport or Finance, for another two weeks in Borden.  Mod 2 and Mod 3 are in the June/July timeframe; exact dates vary year to year.

I joined the reserves while still in high school, since graduating ive primarily have been on course, taskings, working in the sq for the last few years. recently i have decided to go to college and im working towards a degree now.

So what my question is, how do i transfer over to officer. i wont complete my degree for a few years still, but the officer route is one i want to take. ive tried looking at other posts asking a simular question, but none made too much sense.

thanks

ghostrider2234 said:
I joined the reserves while still in high school, since graduating ive primarily have been on course, taskings, working in the sq for the last few years. recently i have decided to go to college and im working towards a degree now.

So what my question is, how do i transfer over to officer. i wont complete my degree for a few years still, but the officer route is one i want to take. ive tried looking at other posts asking a simular question, but none made too much sense.

thanks

First, improve your written correspondence. It's awful.

Once you've done so, ask for an interview with your troop commander, explain to him your desires, and ask for his counsel on the matter.

Given that you have an active CT in, I would be surprised if your unit had any interest in pursuing this for you. I think you're going to need to pick one path or the other.

okay thanks dude, i imagine thats what ill do. and excuse my writing im doing this on my phone. When it comes to the ct, i would withdraw it, but its impossible to get in contact with ottawa. since i sent in my ct request, my unit pretty much red flagged me, refusing to give me any career courses.

do u have any info, what happens after i go officer. i imagine there would be no need for officer basic. if it happens i would already would have had over 5 years of service, so would i go officer cadet or 2lt?

thanks again

I type from my phone, too, but I take the time to capitalize, spell, and punctuate properly every time.

Feeble excuses don't cut it.

You imagine wrong. There were several people on my BMOQ (officer basic) who had prior service. Unless you have your PLQ Mod 1-6, you will need to basically do the entire officer training from day one. The bottom line here is that you need to engage your chain of command. It is not your job to be calling Ottawa about anything. If you want to pull back your CT or initiate or cancel any admin your first and last stop is your chain of command. Start off with a memo stating what you are looking to do. If you do become an officer you will learn how frustrating it is when your troops try and do an end run on you and you get pulled into your boss’s office for an update.

Here's my current situation:
I applied a few months back for the infantry soldier trade (with the intent of switching my application to the infantry officer trade once my university degree requirements were met).  Once the degree requirements were satisfied, I forwarded the updated document and sent an email informing the vrc of the desired change.  I received an email back stating that my file was sent to Detachment Hamilton for Infantry Soldier, as Infantry Officer is not currently available.
The question I have is, how difficult would it be to switch from ncm to officer once the training process has begun?

No one can answer that question........ebb and flow,.....requirements,.......suitability,............

Try reading some of the threads already here for more info.

I'm currently a Pte untrained looking for info on transferring to Officer. I did 2 years towards a BA before joining the military and have been in for almost 3 years. I want to know if it's possible to OT to an Officer trade and finish my degree or should I look into other NCM trades. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Skeletor6669 said:
I'm currently a Pte untrained looking for info on transferring to Officer. I did 2 years towards a BA before joining the military and have been in for almost 3 years. I want to know if it's possible to OT to an Officer trade and finish my degree or should I look into other NCM trades. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

This may help,

NCM to Officer (UTPNCM) Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/82016.0
21 pages.

See also,

confusing ncm to officer question 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/107007.0

NCM -> Officer
Technoviking said:
If you are regular force, then you can apply for the University Training Plan for Non Commissioned Members (UTPNCM).  You only need be a Cpl, have two credits at a Canadian University, and be accepted into a university.  Oh, you must also be recommended by your chain of command.  Talk to your chain of command, and search for "UTPNCM" on this site.

Untrained Pte after leaving for BMQ 2.5 years ago (along with a stint on Warrior wasted space platoon) doesn't scream officer candidate to me.

Long story short...no

If you have a degree you could apply to the SCP. However since you don't, UTPNCM is your only choice and you need to be a substantive Cpl before you can apply.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

So here’s my dilemma/situation...and before I continue with my story, I have currently served my first year in the regs as an NCM Supply technician.

Academics: I hold a police foundations diploma (yes I qualified for MP, but lost interest in police work altogether), and it came with a bridge program at Athabasca U to complete a degree in 2 years in the study of Criminal Justice. I’m interested in the administration and social science of the degree, not the police side of things.

After having some experience as a supply tech, I really do enjoy the job. I like logistics, and I feel that I want to become a LogO.

So I completed 9 university credits in the program (part-time online), and slowly moving my way to a degree in criminal justice.

Here’s where I need help/advice. I want to complete the degree eventually and become an officer, but would the CF take me as a LogO with a CJ degree? I’m not interested in a business degree, I dropped out of a business diploma 2 years ago because I hated it, didn’t like the math/micro and macroeconomic courses etc.

I have also been granted funding/reimbursements for my part time online learning. I’m aware that for UTPNCM you need to be an NCM that shows leadership and experience. I’m guessing that only completing my first contract (3 years) would not put me in that situation.

I also considered switching to reserves/or releasing after my first contract to finish up my degree and then come back later on to the regs as an officer. This is because my trade is super red and hard to get out of if you’re still in a contract.

Honestly I just needed to type this all out and get any feedback I can get on this. Criticism is welcome, anything will help. I don’t know what to do, but I hate just sitting around thinking about it as my contract keeps rolling. Apologies if for some reason someone had the same situation as me and there’s already a thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back