• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need for a new Army dress uniform (Split from: Return To Old Army Officer Rank Insignia)

Infanteer

Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Good heavens.

The only thing I'm going to state is that we do need to look at a new service uniform.

The current No. 1A/3 is ugly and uncomfortable.  The uniform is too heavy and uncomfortable and the dark, dark rifle green isn't really nice to look at nor distinguishable.  Wearing Service Dress shouldn't feel like Full Dress. 

Same with the No. 3A/3B/3C - The collar looks like something meant for Disco Inferno, that mint green colour looks like some '70s curtain reject and the sweater is just silly.

I'm not opposed to uniform changes - the US Army's program through to 2014 is a good example of streamlining things.  As well, I'm not opposed to something a little historic for service dress but if you want to give me a uniform with some new bits on it, at least give me a uniform I'd want to wear.

Good God, no!  I mean, if DLR hears of this, they will bugger it up and give us this:

today0704.jpg

Well if we're just talking about starting from scratch, I would suggest something like what the USMC does, but make the Service Uniform (the third one) a little easier to wear or lighter (still with a beret, for example).

USMC_uniforms.jpg

Unless you include Scarlets, we don't really have an equivalent to their dress uniform.  Since Scarlets IMO don't really count since they're so rarely worn, our DEU is more like their Service, meaning we don't really have a dress uniform in comparison.

(Post just for conversation's sake; I'm not actually stating our current system is broken or needs fixing, I just like the USMC real dress uniform).

If we really want to go back to our roots, the Air Force should cease to exist as a seperate service and instead become the Fleet Air Arm and the Army Flying Corps.

Now, if we really want to go back to the roots of the military in North America we'd be formed into a large number of small bands, each trying to be unique in their customs and appearance (while almost indistinguishable to an outsider), constantly fighting at perceived borders between groups to gain resources, manpower and power, unabashedly robbing one other of finite resources and still claiming to be a single powerful entity when confronted by external forces .... uh .... wait.  forget it, we're there still.

Petamocto said:
Michael, stop talking about the Reserves, you're out of London now!

Actually, I'm not out of London, and I wasn't even thinking about the Reserves.

Michael O'Leary said:
Actually, I'm not out of London, and I wasn't even thinking about the Reserves.

[Sigh]  T'was a joke, good sir.

But you were out of London, and my Reserves comment was meant to rebut your tribes story.

Petamocto said:
[Sigh]  T'was a joke, good sir.

But you were out of London, and my Reserves comment was meant to rebut your tribes story.

I am currently in London, and there are many "tribes" in the CF that comment applies to other than Reserve regiments.

Michael O'Leary said:
I am currently in London, and there are many "tribes" in the CF that comment applies to other than Reserve regiments.

I stopped believing that when first Para Company had to change its name to Mike Company, and then even light battalions lost their identity.

Tribes are being squashed, and I'm convinced that it's only a matter of time before the Reg Force Infantry even loses the three Regiments.

When someone graduates from DP 1.2 (Phase 4), they will now be assigned to 3-1-2-2 platoon or 3-1-2-3 platoon. 

I can already hear it on PT:  "Who's the best platoon?" "3 Platoon of 2 Company of 1 Battalion of 3 Brigade!"

Petamocto said:
Tribes are being squashed, and I'm convinced that it's only a matter of time before the Reg Force Infantry even loses the three Regiments.
At unification, that almost became a reality.  If one checks out circa 1970-ish photos of Reg Force Infantrymen in S3s ("Service Dress"), the "buttons and bows" are very generic.  As I recall, it was the R22eR who were our saviour of the Regimental System.  "We'll lose our French culture-identifier" was the general argument, and thus PPCLI and The RCR retained their distinctive regiments. 

Or so I was told, many moons ago.

EDIT: Here is a photo from 12 October 1971 (8 days before I turned five years old!!!!)

Other than collar dogs and capbadge, there is nothing on the uniform that is unique to the regiment.  Even the buttons were the "CF Standard"
parade-london-rcr-12-oct-1971-2.jpg

Michael O'Leary said:

Well, I thought that it was hilarious.

Technoviking said:
While I like this type of marine:

I wonder what she got her ribbons for?

And, today, the same Colonel would not wear regimental accoutrements or collar dogs at all, since we`ve declared Army colonels to be generalists (other than medical, chaplain and perhaps a few others).

Technoviking said:
I think you like marines: Yeah, but they are looking for .......
520763043_351ada3134.jpg

this type of marine:
USMC_DRESS_BLUES_AOK_36_24_36_8_06.jpg

;D

Petamocto said:
I stopped believing that when first Para Company had to change its name to Mike Company ....

Can you provide a regimental document that states it was ever officially called "Para" Company?

If we really want to go back to our roots, the Air Force should cease to exist as a seperate service and instead become the Fleet Air Arm and the Army Flying Corps.

My counter offer is for you to go and do something intensely private with your hat badge.  >:D

The only thing I'm going to state is that we do need to look at a new service uniform

We tried that in the 80/90 with the tans (I would have preferred more of a khaki color).

I liked them, though they looked good and they where light weight for summer, imagine that.  Unfortunately they only looked good on people in good shape or a good shape.

I liked them, though they looked good and they where light weight for summer, imagine that.  Unfortunately they only looked good on people in good shape or a good shape.

Personnally, I couldn't care less about how the uniform looks on someone out of shape. Everyone should be in shape. It`s a requirement. You`re not? That sucks...

I also thought the tans looked great. I can`t really imagine parading in greens somewhere like Cyprus, for example...

Back