• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Neptune's Notes

Rhibwolf

Inactive
Reaction score
Having read through several of the tradition oriented threads, I started to wonder if I would see mention of Neptune's Notes anywheres within.  After a search came up fruitless, I decided to see if anyone has a copy or wishes to discuss said notes in a new thread.
Yours, Aye

Rhibwolf-

Do you mean "Neptune's Notes", the old publication outlining advice to junior naval officers in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner on everything from how to write a joining letter to how to conduct oneself at a cocktail party?

Or is there something called "Nelson's Notes" that I've not heard of?

I'm pretty sure he means Neptune's notes. They are hilarious, especially the one about comparing the single subbie to the married subbie.

Did google search but nothing came up. :-[

Arrrgh,  :-[
Freudian Slip.  I had Nelson on the brain when I typed that.  I did mean Neptune's Notes - that tongue in cheek set of orders for subbies etc.

There was actually a message cut in the 80s from NDHQ directing everyone to destroy their copies of Neptune's Notes after a story hit the papers about how the Navy was providing guidance to its junior officers on how to pick up women, etc.

I believe there are still some copies in existence, though.

In the 90s VENTURE tried to produce a cleaned up version, but it really lacked the entertaining readability of its forerunner.

For some reason I spent way to long looking for these notes on the net (no luck but I did waste a good 45 min of my life)

I did find this which made me laugh a bit so I thought you guys might want a look

http://www.bluejacket.com/humor_navylife.html

sorry if posted before, didn't see it anywhere here

They always take the good things away from us.  Glad I still have my copy of the old Dolphin codes!

Phrontis said:
There was actually a message cut in the 80s from NDHQ directing everyone to destroy their copies of Neptune's Notes after a story hit the papers about how the Navy was providing guidance to its junior officers on how to pick up women, etc.

I believe there are still some copies in existence, though.

In the 90s VENTURE tried to produce a cleaned up version, but it really lacked the entertaining readability of its forerunner.
I remember something about that.  A bit too reminiscint of Nazi book burning for my liking.

For Rhibwolf:  Ask and ye shall receive

Neill McKay said:
If you have it, may I ask and receive as well please?

I as well will come to you with my cap in my hands ;D

cheers

SBruce said:
I as well will come to you with my cap in my hands ;D

cheers
I guess by popular demand I should put this on my list of things to scan into pdf format.  Unfortunately, without an auto feeder it is an extremely tedious process.

Gino, im sure you could find a trainee or two who would leap at the opportunity to type it all in......
tradition being what it is, and all.....

Rhibwolf said:
Gino, im sure you could find a trainee or two who would leap at the opportunity to type it all in......
tradition being what it is, and all.....
Not sure that would be competely ethical.  Hmm, is this entrapment? ;)

Gino, i dont think that the pub itself is ethical, but, man, it is one hell of a read. 
God, to think I used to be that way when I was just a RhibPup.......

Heard these notes being discussed in the Wardroom the other day by some salty 2 1/2s and was curious.. anyone have a copy to pass on to a fresh subbie?

IPA

I had a copy of Neptune's notes on a word document emailed to me. I believe it was the version from the 90's that venture put together, but I don't recall there being a date on it, only the venture crest. I think I may have deleted it, but it does exist out there.

I've seen the one from Venture- certainly a decent read, but doesn't really answer the tough questions.. Like how are we suppose to know what the ideal length of port visit is?

Any further help much appreciated.

Has anyone been able to find a copy of this? I tried searching, even torrent sites but no dice.

Back