• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Air Force epaulets

MP 811

Inactive
Reaction score
So i've been out of country for a good 4 years now and just saw a picture of this epaulet.  Is this the newest version of us reinventing the wheel?

That's the improved CADPAT shirt, worn by Army and Air Force, so the rank insignia is now hook and loop fastener (since we can't say Velcro).

dapaterson said:
That's the improved CADPAT shirt, worn by Army and Air Force, so the rank insignia is now hook and loop fastener (since we can't say Velcro).
That's good,  I hate Velcro. God,  I hope I can get at least a few more years out of the shirts I have. I really,  really don't like these uniforms.

just me... said:
So i've been out of country for a good 4 years now and just saw a picture of this epaulet.  Is this the newest version of us reinventing the wheel?

Maybe I'm old, but that looks fookin' ridiculous to me.

recceguy said:
Maybe I'm old, but that looks fookin' ridiculous to me.
You're right, they should have pearl grey in there somewhere, I almost had no idea that person was in the RCAF.

That person may be in the RCN, CA, CJOC, or any of the other functional commands and empires.

Loachman said:
That person may be in the RCN, CA, CJOC, or any of the other functional commands and empires.

Still doesn't change the look of the shingle. Kinda looks like the patches my mother used to iron on my pants.

Thanks guys.......I don't get to wear capdat much these days and I agree...this looks awful, so I think I'll stick with the old epaulets until I'm forced into the new ones.  I just received all the new silver coloured ranks for my DEU as well......what a joy it will be to explain to a local tailor the exact measurements for putting these on!

Anyone know if the CADPAT and flight suit ranks are changing to the new DEU style as well? Or will operational dress stick with the dark blue embroidery?

I am certain that some gainfully-underemployed twit with a budget is considering it.

As for the velcro patches, they simplify the uniform and therefore reduce production cost. That is good.

Midnight field promotions in Number 3 Trench might be a little more risky, though.

My question about the new rank patches is it easy to rip off? If it is, any cost savings would likely be lost to having to constantly replace them.

Eaglelord17 said:
My question about the new rank patches is it easy to rip off? If it is, any cost savings would likely be lost to having to constantly replace them.

I find the flags curl at the edges, the ranks are on the center of the chest and less likely to be torn off.

PuckChaser said:
I find the flags curl at the edges, the ranks are on the center of the chest and less likely to be torn off.

...wait for it - next thing you know, patches will also have to be sewn in as well, like the slip-ons on flying suits.  >:D

slip ons don't need to be sewn on flight suits.....

SF2 said:
slip ons don't need to be sewn on flight suits.....
Apparently you don't live in the same airforce as the rest of us.

In my 21st year in fact, flying operationally since 2002...and have never had them sewn on, nor have been ordered to.

SF2 said:
In my 21st year in fact, flying operationally since 2002...and have never had them sewn on, nor have been ordered to.

It's pretty much stated in every Wings Flying Orders.

"Pretty much" being the operative word(s).

No such order exists for our flyers.  Also discouraged by those who run the SERE courses as it makes santizing of clothing difficult.

As per the Geneva Convention, you have to give your captor your Rank and Service ID (giving away your nationality) when requested.  Sanitizing epaulets doesn't do anything for you.

Did I have my slip-ons turned into sewn-ons?

ICATG, sir (said with the UTMOST respect)  ;D

Back