• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Army Commander and Army Sergeant Major - 2024

The reconstitution thing says a lot of things…
But it doesn’t say that there won’t be CoC ceremonies. What it says is:

Ceremonial tasks will be temporarily reduced or cancelled in order to prioritize reconstitution efforts;
Change of command ceremonies, parades, and other ceremonial events shall be minimized in scope and scale;

Love the Mexican cartel capri shorts looks…Hermano clearly doesn’t GAF about not looking like the rest of the whitey homies…

Nowhere does it say you can't have soldiers standing so long they pass out while some folks sit like turds at the front,.......that just wouldn't do.
And doing Carbine Drill where we can't Order Arms and are just Shouldering Arms for an hour and a half.

But it doesn’t say that there won’t be CoC ceremonies. What it says is:

Ceremonial tasks will be temporarily reduced or cancelled in order to prioritize reconstitution efforts;
Change of command ceremonies, parades, and other ceremonial events shall be minimized in scope and scale;

I hate that we leave that kind of wiggle room in our orders so that egos can stroke themselves like 12 year old boys hitting puberty.

FFS. Finish your out clearance like everyone else and move on, youre not special.

And doing Carbine Drill where we can't Order Arms and are just Shouldering Arms for an hour and a half.
That's a shitty parade commander and SM. Have everyone ground arms during the speeches. There's like a whole book of drill movements we can use to both look professional and keep people in comfortable positions.

That's a shitty parade commander and SM. Have everyone ground arms during the speeches. There's like a whole book of drill movements we can use to both look professional and keep people in comfortable positions.
Equally, trim the speeches: My Legacy (outgoing) and My Vision (incoming) in any detail beyond about five minutes' worth belong at the mess dinner, on the podcast, or in the LANDFORGEN.

I agree with you on this BUT lets not forget we always have that ONE guy who insists on staying out til 0500, then changes into DEU for a parade and thunders in. AND everyone has a phone and takes pictures. Sometimes its the soldier's fault - and the Parade SM and chain for not punting him off.

Equally, trim the speeches: My Legacy (outgoing) and My Vision (incoming) in any detail beyond about five minutes' worth belong at the mess dinner, on the podcast, or in the LANDFORGEN.
Apparently, Eyre motioned for him to wrap it up, and he kept going for another ten minutes.

Incidentally, I did my infantry course with both the guard commander and 2IC.

I hate that we leave that kind of wiggle room in our orders so that egos can stroke themselves like 12 year old boys hitting puberty.

FFS. Finish your out clearance like everyone else and move on, youre not special.
I see importance in CoC ceremonies. It’s important to see the change between the COs to put a face on the new person, and communicate, clearly, your vision to the unit. It should not last more than 1 hour and honestly, could be done in dress of the day vs 1A/3B. Some Wings chiefs have a hard on for full dress uniforms for those. For me, it’s more about how to minimize disruption to the unit.

I see importance in CoC ceremonies.
I don’t.
It’s important to see the change between the COs to put a face on the new person, and communicate, clearly, your vision to the unit.
That doesn’t happen overnight, and it shouldn’t be tried to be done in a parade.

It should not last more than 1 hour and honestly, could be done in dress of the day vs 1A/3B.
I’d give it 15min max.

Some Wings chiefs have a hard on for full dress uniforms for those. For me, it’s more about how to minimize disruption to the unit.
Better if the change is done in the CO’s office - take a picture and sign - then the new CO can walk around over the next week and get to know folks and have his Maj/Captains over for a BBQ to discuss the direction.

I see importance in CoC ceremonies. It’s important to see the change between the COs to put a face on the new person, and communicate, clearly, your vision to the unit. It should not last more than 1 hour and honestly, could be done in dress of the day vs 1A/3B. Some Wings chiefs have a hard on for full dress uniforms for those. For me, it’s more about how to minimize disruption to the unit.
Get it done during Sqn/Unit briefing time. 30 mins max in operational dress (or dress of the day wherever). Outgoing CO speech (10 mins max), sign, incoming CO speech (10 mins max).

The USAF and USSF sometimes do their ceremonies in operational dress - it depends on the wishes of the incoming CO, I think.

1720904107770.png

I have been on parade for I believe seven Change of Command parades, and attended another ten or so.

Most interesting was an outgoing CO spending half hour complaining about the unit and his higher headquarters all sabotaging his command tenure.

The last two I had more influence on. Both were scheduled for 45 minutes and took less time; both were unit parades where other recognition and promotions occurred, and both incoming and outgoing COs limited their speeches to five minutes or less each.

There is something very satisfying about knowing that your last act as a CO before handing over command was to give public commendation and congratulations to someone by promoting them to Sgt.

People in private businesses (and government departments) can be forced to attend "Meet the new boss townhalls". Personally I think it's important for a short and to the point COC, this is after all the person that may have to order you to do something that is likely to kill you. If done right the troops won't much beyond some healthy bitching and maybe toss in coffee and donuts for everyone afterwards. I do like the idea of the outgoing CO to give a couple of deserved awards and honourable mentions.

People in private businesses (and government departments) can be forced to attend "Meet the new boss townhalls". Personally I think it's important for a short and to the point COC, this is after all the person that may have to order you to do something that is likely to kill you. If done right the troops won't much beyond some healthy bitching and maybe toss in coffee and donuts for everyone afterwards. I do like the idea of the outgoing CO to give a couple of deserved awards and honourable mentions.
Infantry story so helmets on:

At least in 2 VP in the 1990s we always had a full blown CoC parade. DEU with medals. Boots highly shone etc etc.
I think I was on four and at least two of those I was on the Colour Party.

Personally I see nothing wrong with that UNLESS it interferes with operations.

Back