• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

They should just go with two Cantabria/Berlin class AOR's and get a used Harpers Ferry Class LSD or get the plans too build one from US but that would be too simple

Irving (Halifax) gets combat.  Vancouver gets non-combat.  Davie is out.

Good news all around . . .  of that $25b for Halifax, how much will end up in the Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto high tech sector?

Wow, this is going to be very positive for a lot of folks I know.

I'm thinking I better stay clear of any doorways lest I be stampeded by the 10/30 club as they head for the exits.  Promises aside, I still say I'll believe new ships when I see new ships.

From the official announcement:
The National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS) Secretariat today announced the results of a Request for Proposals to build large ships for Canada.

( .... )

The combat package includes the Royal Canadian Navy’s Arctic Offshore Patrol ships and the Canadian Surface Combatants ships.  The non-combat package includes the Navy’s joint support ships, the Canadian Coast Guard’s off-shore science vessels and the new polar icebreaker. Small ship construction (116 vessels), an estimated value of $2 billion, will be set aside for competitive procurement amongst Canadian shipyards other than the yards selected to build large vessels. Regular maintenance and repair, valued at $500 million annually, will be open to all shipyards through normal procurement processes.

Irving Shipbuilding Inc. has been selected to build the combat vessel work package (21 vessels), and Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd. has been selected to build the non-combat vessel work package (7 vessels). The total value of both packages is $33 billion and will span 20 to 30 years.

The NSPS’s selection of the two shipyards represents the largest procurement sourcing arrangement in Canadian history.

(....)

As with all major defence and security procurements, the Industrial and Regional Benefits (IRB) Policy, will apply to the follow-on shipbuilding contracts. The selected shipyards will be required to identify business activities in Canada valued at 100 per cent of the contract value, ensuring a dollar-for-dollar investment into the Canadian economy.

The next step in the implementation of the NSPS is the finalization of a strategic sourcing arrangement, called an umbrella agreement (UA), with each of the selected shipyards.  Once the UAs are signed, individual ship construction contracts will be negotiated with the respective shipyards. First in line will be the Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships in the combat package and the Science Vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard in the non-combat package ....

Just where do the new supply vessels fit in?

Do we need to wait for the AOPS program to be completed before we see a new supply ship?

While the AOPS was an election priority, I would wager that the RCN would prefer to see a new supply vessel...

IIRC, the AOPS are being built by Irving.  So that leaves the AOR to be built by Vancouver.  They have the designs more or less already for the AOPS, the JSS are back to the drawing boards.  Of course contracts need to be hammered out for both and that will take some time.

I think we cut our teeth on the OOSV and possibly the FRVs before moving up to the AORs.  Hopefully they will have figured out a workable design by then.

RC said:
I think we cut our teeth on the OOSV and possibly the FRVs before moving up to the AORs.  Hopefully they will have figured out a workable design by then.

Being a Tanker Wanker, I was present when the delegation from Ottawa sailed with us in 99/00.  The gave a presentation to all three messes on ALSCE (Alice).  They had designs, drawings etc.  Pretty close to what was to evolve into the JSS idea.  It was to our minds pretty good, if somewhat idealistic, and we were thrilled to hear that there was to be 4 in the water for 05.  How time flies.  I think they must already have an idea of WTF they want, it should be pretty cut and dried.  If they had not dithered previously so damn long the ships could have been started while the price of materials was reasonable and we would have something long before now.  Dithering.  That's what puts a monkey wrench in the gearbox time and again.

Anybody know if Irving can (or intends to) split the work between Halifax and Saint John?

They dismantled the St John operations after the contract was completed for the CPF, IIRC.  So in a nutshell, no.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Just where do the new supply vessels fit in?

Do we need to wait for the AOPS program to be completed before we see a new supply ship?

While the AOPS was an election priority, I would wager that the RCN would prefer to see a new supply vessel...

The JSS x 2 is in the Vancouver Proposal.

"First in line will be the Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships in the combat package and the Science Vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard in the non-combat package."

The JSS-type ships are in the non-combat package.

Surprised they aren't building the ice breaker first so those AOPS can actually do "A".

Maybe they are counting on Glowball Warming to melt all that ice so the AOPS can cruise around without denting its hull.  ;D

Shared with provisions of The Copyright Act

Good for the economy no matter how you look at it.  :salute:

East, West coasts win shipbuilding contracts, Quebec frozen out
Lee Berthiaume, Robert Hiltz and Marianne White, Postmedia News 19 Oct

http://www.canada.com/news/East+West+coasts+shipbuilding+contracts+Quebec+frozen/5574607/story.html#ixzz1bHFiYm73

OTTAWA — A cross-country political dogfight over shipbuilding contracts ended in a win for both coasts Wednesday, as the federal government awarded $33 billion in contracts to drydocks in Halifax and Vancouver and froze out Quebec.

Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax will receive a $25-billion naval vessel building contract, while Seaspan Marine in Vancouver will receive an $8 billion contract for building coast guard and other non-navy ships.

A third shipyard, Davie Shipyard in Levis, Que., was not chosen by the arm's-length body tasked with awarding the contracts.

The reaction from Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter and B.C. Premier Christy Clark was immediate and ecstatic.

"What an amazing, historic day for NS," wrote Dexter over Twitter.

"It means young people can have a career staying here in Nova Scotia," Dexter later told reporters.

"Eight billion dollars is huge. At a time like this, when the world is experiencing all this economic uncertainty, it is going to big," Clark told reporters, moments after the result was made public.

"What this means is we will see thousands of jobs come to British Columbia as a result of this federal money — thousands of high-paid jobs, people who are going to be able to support their kids, solid middle-class jobs and I think it's so important. I'm absolutely delighted."

The reaction from Quebec City, meanwhile, was frosty. Quebec Economic Development Minister Sam Hamad said Wednesday his government is "extremely disappointed" with the decision — but he stopped short of criticizing the selection process.

"It's the outcome that matters. Quebec was not selected . . . Now we want to know why," Hamad told reporters in Quebec City, adding Davie had a "very strong bid."

"It's bad news not only for Quebec but also for Ontario because it didn't get it's share of the contract," he added.

lots more at link...

Merged both Big Honkin' Ship threads, and adding the latest from the Defence Minister:
Today, the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS) Secretariat announced their decision for two significant shipbuilding contracts for Canada.

“The top priority of our Government is creating jobs and growth. We made a commitment to Canadians to build new ships in Canada, and the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy will result in the creation of thousands of new jobs and billions in economic growth in cities and communities across Canada.

“Industry analysts have estimated that our Government’s ship projects will contribute both indirectly and directly 10,000 jobs and over $2 billion in annual economic benefit over the long-term.

“The process for selecting the two shipyards was open, fair, and competitive.  It was based on merit and run at arms-length by independent public servants through the National Shipbuilding Procurement Secretariat. The federal Cabinet was not involved in the decision.

“We congratulate Irving Shipbuilding Inc. on a successful bid. Our Government will respect the decision made by the Secretariat.”

Haletown said:
Surprised they aren't building the ice breaker first so those AOPS can actually do "A".

Maybe they are counting on Glowball Warming to melt all that ice so the AOPS can cruise around without denting its hull.  ;D

Its funny, the Americans aren't interested in breaking ice anymore. They have one ice breaker left, in an extended refit (Polar Star) -Polar Sea is to be decomissioned. They have Ice Capable ships, but it doesn't look like they want to break ice anymore.

the USN operates under ice these days . . .  much easiie than breaking it.

Haletown said:
the USN operates under ice these days . . .  much easiie than breaking it.
...unless you're primarily interested in what's happening on the surface and in the air.

Back