• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New MND - Anita Anand

Quite possible but I would think that also suggests 90% of the CAF isn't mature enough to handle feedback and evaluating subordinates.

The best feedback I received (as an Officer) was from a good CSM/RSM/NCO.... to whom I listened ;)

Quite possible but I would think that also suggests 90% of the CAF isn't mature enough to handle feedback and evaluating subordinates.
I can’t remember for the life of me which course I was on… perhaps this will ring a bell for someone.

But after the course, we did a panel interview with 3 of our instructors. We were basically asked to greater selves on effort, leadership we displayed, things we thought we did well, things we knew we didn’t do very well at, and things that we didn’t realize we needed to work on until the course was underway and we were lacking.

Instructors did not really offer any criticism or feedback in a traditional way. You basically self critique any instructors would help progress the conversation by asking questions such as “Why do you feel you didn’t do that very well?” Or “ why do you feel like that was one of your strengths?”

It was honestly the best feedback I think I’ve ever got. I have the freedom to be brutally honest and open about the good and the bad, and it really helped me to tweak what I needed to focus on moving forwards.

I can’t remember for the life of me which course I was on… perhaps this will ring a bell for someone.

But after the course, we did a panel interview with 3 of our instructors. We were basically asked to greater selves on effort, leadership we displayed, things we thought we did well, things we knew we didn’t do very well at, and things that we didn’t realize we needed to work on until the course was underway and we were lacking.

Instructors did not really offer any criticism or feedback in a traditional way. You basically self critique any instructors would help progress the conversation by asking questions such as “Why do you feel you didn’t do that very well?” Or “ why do you feel like that was one of your strengths?”

It was honestly the best feedback I think I’ve ever got. I have the freedom to be brutally honest and open about the good and the bad, and it really helped me to tweak what I needed to focus on moving forwards.

That is a 'world class' approach to leadership learning, believe it or not. Too bad it doesn't happen with greater frequency elsewhere...

That is a 'world class' approach to leadership learning, believe it or not. Too bad it doesn't happen with greater frequency elsewhere...
I apologize for all the typos. Autocorrect can’t stop ‘helping’ me…

I currently work at a ‘establishment’ and after each shift, the security does a ‘post shift meeting.’ Just a quick, informal chat about how that night went. What we did well as a team, what we need to change in order to improve if something needs to improve, a chance to chat internally about any problems or events that took place, and just shoot the breeze.

I’ve taken this approach when mentoring some of the younger and newer staff. Every single one of them is a genuinely good person, and sometimes we find ourselves in situations that we never would’ve expected.

Where I can offer concrete training & guidance, I do. But sometimes it’s best to just let them learn the lessons, and guide them so they are absorbed & learned from - rather than just preach or wag a finger.

I find I apply so many things from the military in both my regular day job in my little side hustle.

A few of the guys I work with are still currently in the CAF, and there’s a noticeable difference in how problems are approached and learned from.

Sounds like ILQ.

Back