• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New names for support ships announced

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Joint Support Ship update:  unborn, but already named ....
Long before a Vancouver shipyard lays down the keel for the navy's new joint support ships (JSS), officials have already picked out the ships' names.

A senior government source told QMI Agency the ships will be named HMCS Queenston and HMCS Chateauguay.

"It is only fitting that the government would name the new ships in honour of two important battles from the War of 1812," the source said ....
Confirmed via RCN Tweet here.

Looks like they will be called HMCS Queenston & Chateauguay, after the war of 1812 battles.

milnews.ca said:
Joint Support Ship update:  unborn, but already named ....Confirmed via RCN Tweet here.

if that's the naming they are going with, I foresee HMCS Vimy and a HMCS Passchendaele coming to a RCN near you

Both battles are kind of a stretch for Naval battle honours......if one discounts the US boats.

milnews.ca said:
Until they get onto the WW 1 kick ....

Ahem how about the North West Rebellion kick, or has anyone in Ottawa ever heard of it?

[Joke for Old Sweat & ERC]

Or, to take a different spin on support, why not HMCS Munsinger?  With tenders Hees and Sévigny?

[/Joke for Old Sweat & ERC]

Jim Seggie said:
Ahem how about the North West Rebellion kick, or has anyone in Ottawa ever heard of it?
Depending on the one you mean, we're still at least 56 years away from a rounded-off 200th anniversary - but only a touch more than six ears away from the 150th.  Given that timeline, maybe we can keep some names in mind for the Sea King replacements, no?  ;)

Jim Seggie said:

Well we did have HMCS Poundmaker in WW2.

There's a statue in front of CSDH commemorating 2 fallen soldiers at the Battle of Cut Knife Hill.  So yes, I would guess at least some in Ottawa might have heard of it a few times over.

Jim Seggie said:
Sure why not . History has been revised anyway.

HMCS Batoche.

There was a small naval engagement where the steam ship Northcote was used as an amphibious assault vessel. The rebels lowered the Batoche Ferry cables that sheered off both stacks, and wrecked the pilot house. That ended her career as a warship.

http://members.shaw.ca/mno-ssm/metis-info/battle-batoche.htm

(a school district near where I grew up in SW Manitoba was called Northcote)

I just can't see these naming decisions having been made by the naming committee without direct political interference. They just do not correspond to ANY of the naming conventions of the RCN in its 100 years + history.

If you are to name the ships after "battles" in a British/American war that predates confederation by more than 50 years, at least go for the naval battles that were part of that war.

The War of 1812 North American Naval battle honours include, IIRC: LAKE ONTARIO 1812-1813, LAKE ERIE 1812-1814, LAKE ONTARIO 1813-1814 (there were two distinct phases to the fighting) and LAKE CHAMPLAIN 1812-1814. Mind you, those are Royal Navy battle honours, but Canadian ships of the same name as their British ancestors have been allowed to wear them, such as HMCS CHIPAWA, HMCS STAR, HMCS MONTREAL, HMCS HURON, HMCS ST-LAWRENCE,  and so forth.

Personally if it must be "War of 1812, I say change those names to HMCS LAKE ERIE and HMCS LAKE CHAMPLAIN.

If and when we get "big-honking-ships", i.e. amphibs, then I would have no problem with naming them after  famous Canadian Army battles.

Just my 5cents opinion.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I just can't see these naming decisions having been made by the naming committee without direct political interference. They just do not correspond to ANY of the naming conventions of the RCN in its 100 years + history.

If you are to name the ships after "battles" in a British/American war that predates confederation by more than 50 years, at least go for the naval battles that were part of that war.

The War of 1812 North American Naval battle honours include, IIRC: LAKE ONTARIO 1812-1813, LAKE ERIE 1812-1814, LAKE ONTARIO 1813-1814 (there were two distinct phases to the fighting) and LAKE CHAMPLAIN 1812-1814. Mind you, those are Royal Navy battle honours, but Canadian ships of the same name as their British ancestors have been allowed to wear them, such as HMCS CHIPAWA, HMCS STAR, HMCS MONTREAL, HMCS HURON, HMCS ST-LAWRENCE,  and so forth.

Personally if it must be "War of 1812, I say change those names to HMCS LAKE ERIE and HMCS LAKE CHAMPLAIN.

If and when we get "big-honking-ships", i.e. amphibs, then I would have no problem with naming them after  famous Canadian Army battles.

Just my 5cents opinion.

There are two Ticonderoga class cruisers with the same names!

https://www.facebook.com/UssLakeChamplain

https://www.facebook.com/pages/USS-Lake-Erie/142649672418235

Oldgateboatdriver said:

This mirrors my reaction.  Why 1812?  And if it has to be 1812, there are better options for "naval" names.

My sources tell me that there is a secret plan in the works to seek revenge and invade the US, and repatriate it's citizens under the British Crown.

If you look really close you can see signs of a fifth column effort south of the border preparing for the coming invasion.

Institution of a socialized health care system like the ACA.

The potential frontrunner for president is a Canadian by birth.

The significant number of Hollywood Celebs, comedians, and music artists who were born in Canada.

The Blackberry.

Hockey.

BUt you didn't hear this from me. :cdn:

FSTO said:
There are two Ticonderoga class cruisers with the same names!

https://www.facebook.com/UssLakeChamplain

https://www.facebook.com/pages/USS-Lake-Erie/142649672418235

Well, That's the American's problem.

Another solution, then: Name them after ships that fought in the war of 1812. They were all HMS, but we have a long tradition of using such names for Canadian warships.

Her is a quorum of such names available:WOLFE, ROYAL GEORGE, LORD MELVILLE, BERESFORD, QUEEN CHARLOTTE, GENERAL HUNTER, PRINCE REGENT ( That may come in handy soon ;) ), CHARWELL, NESLON, DRUMMOND, GLENNGARY, THUNDER, SIMCOE, heck, even RETALIATION.

But my personal favourites would be two names from that war that would be particularly fitting in naming two support ships - to express the surface fleet's feelings when the most reliable and then the least reliable of the two would show up: HM(C)S CONFIANCE and HM(C)S SURPRISE (no! She did not serve in the Galapagos, but on lake Erie).

I don't like the choices made.  I wish they would get off this 1812 horse they're stampeding around with.  The good idea fairy just sharted as far as I'm concerned.

Back