• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New PRes Dp1/Dp2 format?

BC_Panzer

Inactive
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the old DP1 and 2 for reservists are being combined into a new slightly longer DP1, and the new DP2 is being called the Assault Trooper course? Could anyone shed any light on this? And all all info appreciated. Most everyone is gone for the summer (except me), I can't seem to find anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

I am not armoured but work across the hall for a course WO who is running the PRes DP1 and DP2 armoured recce courses.  They are two seperate courses with the majority of the candidates rolling from one to another along with staff so it might feel like one course but it is two.

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that essentially nothing has changed, other than perhaps the DP2 now being called the 'Assault Trooper' course?

BC_Pz said:
Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that essentially nothing has changed, other than perhaps the DP2 now being called the 'Assault Trooper' course?

I have yet to hear it called that and what you learn on DP2 does not even scratch the surface of what an Assault Trooper does.

I think someone is trying to instill a 'cool factor' or they just don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Lastly, the stand alone Assault Trooper course has not been sanctioned yet, as far as I know. A pilot has been run, but no qualifications were given because the course does not yet exist.

So until something official happens don't call it an Assault Trooper course.

Here is a list of POs from the TP for the two course:

DP1 Pres Recce Crewman A-P7-013-DP/PH-B01 dated April 03
  • PO 103 Identify Armoured Fighting Vehicles (AFV) and Aircraft (AC) to Level 1
  • PO 111 Operate Tactical Communications Equipment
  • PO 113 Drive SMP Vehicles
  • PO 401 Operate a Wheeled Vehicle
  • PO 402 Drive the LUVW
  • PO 403 Service the LUVW
  • Demonstrate an Understanding of RCAC History and Traditions
  • Demonstrate an Understanding of the Organization and Roles of Armour
  • Demonstrate an Understanding of Armour Doctrine and Tactics

DP2 Armour Reconnaissance Observer A-P2-011-S01/PH-B01 Dated May 05

• PO 201 Participate in Reconnaissance Operations
  • PO 202 Participate in Tactical Security Operations
  • PO 203 Participate in Transitional Operations
  • PO 204 Operate Reconnaissance Equipment
  • PO 205 Operate in an IED Environment

As Reeceguy said earlier someone is leading you astray.

recceguy said:
I have yet to hear it called that and what you learn on DP2 does not even scratch the surface of what an Assault Trooper does.

I think someone is trying to instill a 'cool factor' or they just don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Lastly, the stand alone Assault Trooper course has not been sanctioned yet, as far as I know. A pilot has been run, but no qualifications were given because the course does not yet exist.

So until something official happens don't call it an Assault Trooper course.

Wasn't that the "Support Trooper course" run by the RCDs?

Yes there is a new Pres DP1 armour course coming out in the fall (tentatively) I was on the writting board last summer and it is just waiting for blessing from the powers that be. You were right the first time that it is combined from both of the old courses to be one course. There was repetitive training that was taken out and some other stuff added in, Firing the C6 from the turret. It was also broken up in to 3 mods. Mod I, driver training. Mod II ancillary and STANO equipment, radios, AFV, fire C6/C9 from the turret. Mod III all the field stuff. There will be some over lap from the old course but it is an extra 2 and a half days added on to Mod III. This was the last inception of the course that I saw this spring.

Sounds interesting.  I'm glad they added firing of the C6 from the g-wagon.  As long as  they don't do something silly like make them go to the Gagetown to take it.

You won't have to go to Gagetown for it but Mod III will be granted in much the same form as DP2 is now by going down there and driving certain courses you will get mod III. We designed it so it will work out if your guys go on exercise and do some of the task OPs, route recces, and such, it will go to the qualification as long as the get the theory first and they have a qualified CC assessing them. So a couple of weekends you do Area, Route, and Zone recces then move in to an OP at night. Next time out RAS and transitional task. Mods I and II can be done in any order, Mod III last, and  have a Gun Camp for the turret Live fire.

Back