• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New PT Test Requirements...Thoughts?

Hah, that warrior platoon thing actually sounds pretty decent.  I'm not in the greatest shape in the world, but I can cover 2.5 ks in under ten minutes, and can hit 19 pushups and situps in the required time, but still I wouldn't mind being able to do more.  Warrior platoons sound like a good way to get in some additional fitness training, while at the same time getting paid for it while in basic.  Win win!

Found out something new on this today.If you fail your express you are given an option of leaving or going to st.jean to "fat camp".So even if your doing your BMQ in Gagetown/Borden etc you will have to go to st.jean for this training.Also it is no longer called warrior platoon (thank god cause that bugged me)it has a army name IE ( CSOR TCCCS for example) one that has slipped my mind at this time.

FYI
Pte. Pukepail said:
Hah, that warrior platoon thing actually sounds pretty decent.  I'm not in the greatest shape in the world, but I can cover 2.5 ks in under ten minutes, and can hit 19 pushups and situps in the required time, but still I wouldn't mind being able to do more.  Warrior platoons sound like a good way to get in some additional fitness training, while at the same time getting paid for it while in basic.  Win win!

Did you join the army to work out?Or did you join to go overseas and serve your country?If you wanna have a job and get paid to work out go join PSP.It's a burden on our recruitment system.

099* said:
Did you join the army to work out?Or did you join to go overseas and serve your country?If you wanna have a job and get paid to work out go join PSP.It's a burden on our recruitment system.

I joined to do all of the above actually.  Get in shape...earn money...And serve my country while I'm doing it.

Obviously there are more reasons beyond that, but when it gets down to the nitty-gritty, what other reasons are there to join the army than the above three?

furthermore-

I'm already working a security job, and it blows hard.  All civilians jobs blow hard.

Yeah this is really going to help me. Personally all upper body stuff is a breeze i could do it without breaking a sweat easy. My problem is running simply can't stand it but ive been forcing myself to do all the cardio i can do before Basic. I think with the proper motivation and running with peers i will meet the standard and if not ill force myself to get out of the "fat camp" (haha) as fast as possible.

btw... im hardly fat i just suck at running, prefer upper body training
5'10 160pds "all steel and sex appeal"  ;)

Pte. Pukepail said:

Then your signature block says/:

Don't hate me because I'm a keener...hate me because I make this crap look easy.

"Go warrior"I mean keener ::)

Sword fights with each other will probably get the thread locked by the Mod's guys...

I think RecceGuy calls them "dick measuring contests?"

;D

Your right.
Ill try to get back on topic here.Good for you guys who are going to warrior platoon.I hope it helps you all become soldiers.But as a civilian standing outside DO NOT think the fat camp is going to be a fun good way to get in shape.When I was doing basic we were counting hours to leave.It's not meant to be fun,don't strive to remain there for 90 extra days.

Believe me once you get to your unit you can focus on your fitness to a higher level.But do basic become a soldier and get trained a quick as the system allows you.St.Jean ain't fun.

Yep, 90 days of extra time seems like a huge waste of everyone's time including the recruit's. Best to get in shape before you go to basic and save everyone the trouble of getting your "shit" together. :)

Now, maybe I'm misunderstanding some people on here who seem to think that "fat camp" is a good idea and a great way to get into shape etc.  I think it's more of a punishment really, not meant as a reward.  Maybe the whole remedial training idea has changed over the years, but it used to be a punishment, not a reward.  This is the military.  Knowing that a lot of the job is physical, why on earth would you even think of showing up out of shape.  I worked out like a fiend for many months before I went.  There was NO WAY I was going to show up for basic training and fall out of runs or anything else.  Basic training is not designed to get you into "reasonable" shape.

derael said:
Yep, 90 days of extra time seems like a huge waste of everyone's time including the recruit's. Best to get in shape before you go to basic and save everyone the trouble of getting your "crap" together. :)

And lets hope they do.

I think I said before..someone must have convinced Uncle Rick that this was a good thing...

The bean-counters must have "business planned" this one to death before it was allowed...they love that shite  ;D.

So we give them 90 days.  If it works out, they give Canada their service.  Stronger.  Better.  More motivated.

Not perfect but achieves the "end state" we want.

IIRC, I didn't do a PT test in '89 either. 

Let's hope the "pizza club types" are IDd during the medical phase.

The newbies aren't gettin a freebie folks, they are just havin' to do EXPRES after arriving...instead of the "musical ride" step test and stuff before.

Let's put the BIG worry to rest here, k?

Not one, not one, of the potential "PT challenged" folsk will deploy to the real deal without meeting the SAME standard our Battle Schools are demanding now.

We are just giving the ones that are "close" some time to get their crap together.  Not saying they will get thru at a lower standard.

Thats the steak on this one IMHO.  So we pay them up to 90 days.

And we train them.  And let them scrub pots in the mess.

And train them.

Yup. Some will not make it.

Some do not now.

Let's soldier on with the ones that DO go in to "Do-nut Platoon" that come out with a good PT report and train them.

Turf the ones that can't drop the butter in 90 days. 

Hey. Remember before this?  They would have ended up in PAT as sick/lame/lazy getting paid anyways.

Just a different pile. Same stink.

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

beach_bum said:
Now, maybe I'm misunderstanding some people on here who seem to think that "fat camp" is a good idea and a great way to get into shape etc.  I think it's more of a punishment really, not meant as a reward.  Maybe the whole remedial training idea has changed over the years, but it used to be a punishment, not a reward.  This is the military.  Knowing that a lot of the job is physical, why on earth would you even think of showing up out of shape.  I worked out like a fiend for many months before I went.  There was NO WAY I was going to show up for basic training and fall out of runs or anything else.  Basic training is not designed to get you into "reasonable" shape.

Your absolutely right.A lot of these troops have not enrolled yet and have a different what army life is going to be like.More so thinking its going to be like "the biggest loser".Basically it puts you behind your peers.And when there out doing cool army stuff and getting to drive a tank for the first time,your stuck in st jean getting the butt ran off you.Doing crappy jobs (working the games sign out desk on saturdays in the Bistro).And having little to no freedom as your friends are out partying at bunnies or other local booby joints.

Sure its a good idea in therory,but I wouldnt recommend anyone not train prior and get put on this.Who knows the way things are going your buddies could be e mailing you picks of them in Afganistan and your marching around the mega like a loser.

Just my thoughts.

Sarcasm must be a lost art around here or something.  Frankly, I don't see getting some extra physical training to be punishment, just an opportunity.  But hell, maybe I'm wrong...maybe the army should be full of fat sacks of crap (and we've all seen them in uniform.  They're there).  Given the opportunity to get someone in good shape, not just the minimum shape required to get into basic would I think be in the army's best interest.  But again, maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, you guys are the experts, I'm just the dumb ass keener.

Munner said:
I hardly think passing BMQ reflects whether or not a soldier should be in the CF.

File this under dumb quote of the day, that's exactly what BMQ is; it decides whether you get to join the party or get sent home. Sheesh.

potato

Pte. Pukepail said:
Sarcasm must be a lost art around here or something.  Frankly, I don't see getting some extra physical training to be punishment, just an opportunity.  But hell, maybe I'm wrong...maybe the army should be full of fat sacks of crap (and we've all seen them in uniform.  They're there).  Given the opportunity to get someone in good shape, not just the minimum shape required to get into basic would I think be in the army's best interest.  But again, maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, you guys are the experts, I'm just the dumb *** keener.

You obviously never read my post above your own.As I stated the physical part of BMQ would not be the punishment it would be sitting in St.Jean. I'm sure if you realise you can't jump aboard your car and go to timmiTimmie's7h00,go watch a movie afterwards and head back for a little army training during the day.

"maybe the army should be full of sacks of crap"?Doing basic without having to go to fat camp makes you a tad better than the guy stuck in this training platoon son.The fat the lazy will go to this. NOT the soldiers who go directly into the army.They apparently pass the standard,unlike the other folks.

I think your view on what BMQ is may vary from what actually happens.Marching everywhere,getting yelled at by EVERYONE (sometimes it french sometimes English days and doing rotation of duties plus learning military life/history/law and combat.Why you would almost state to want to go on this platoon blows my mind.I attribute it to lack of knowledge of what your going into.Trust me you do not want to remain in St Jean.

Personally if you want to go and fail and get put on this platoon,good luck.Your dumb,but good luck.Maybe being three months behind your peers would be awesome.I personally wouldn't to,but obviously the keener who seems to know all about BMQ.Why listen to anyone on this board.

The point I was trying to make was that the basic entry level fitness requirements doesn't necessarily prepare individuals for the realities of basic, and THERE ARE a lot of people who are not in great shape who can nevertheless get into basic, yet struggle once they're in, and more often than not wash out as a result.  I'm just saying, it would be beneficial to all if the army set aside a little more time for the express purpose of getting people into GOOD shape.  And you can't say that everyone who gets into the army is in good shape...just good enough shape.  And I'm not ignorant to the fact that once you're out of basic, you're in better shape, but at the same time, there are people who wash out because they weren't in good enough shape to begin with. So again, the only point I'm trying to make here is that either the army should increase the basic fitness requirements, or should dedicate more time to getting people into good shape, thus to ensure less people wash out for reasons of inability to do certain physically demanding tasks.

ps.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, and I am reading your posts, I'm just voicing an opinion on how a little extra physical training would be beneficial.

Lol
your preaching to the choir here about higher standards...take a search of my post. ;)
The topic at hand is holding hands of people who are unable to get themselves in shape.
And that there is no lower standards right now,there are none.You get to stay and play if your fat and lazy for
up to 90 days.

As for once you get out of basic and get to your regiment,you will find PT much more challenging.And if your well above that level place a memo in to do your own PT during the morning peroid.If you prove yourself you will be surprised in the support you will get from your chain of command.

Feel free to drop by the many rant topics if you feel standards are too low.There are people who play the system and get fat etc.

But alas thats for another topic.

Yeah, that's pretty much my biggest gripe with the military when it comes to fitness standards, is that there are way too many people that work the system in their favor to not have to do PT, and it's embarassing.  I lived on the PMQ patch near LFCA for many years, and you would be shaking your head in disgust at the fat sacks of crap that worked in there, and lived in that neighborhood.  And these people are supposedly the leadership!?  I suppose then it's probably not so much the newbies that need the extra PT as it is the older folk who have been in for some time, and are slacking off.

Pte. Pukepail said:
Yeah, that's pretty much my biggest gripe with the military when it comes to fitness standards, is that there are way too many people that work the system in their favor to not have to do PT, and it's embarassing.  I lived on the PMQ patch near LFCA for many years, and you would be shaking your head in disgust at the fat sacks of crap that worked in there, and lived in that neighborhood.  And these people are supposedly the leadership!?  I suppose then it's probably not so much the newbies that need the extra PT as it is the older folk who have been in for some time, and are slacking off.

I can understand your disdain, but don't talk about leadership and by extension professionalism, and then call people who are overweight, "fat sacks of crap."

Im kind of dissapointed in what some of are saying here. I am one of im sure many, who had gone to their PT test and failed. I returned home and have been working my *** off trying to lose some extra weight and get my pushups up to standard. When i received my call with the offer, i was quite suprised by this new system they are introducing.

I will admit anyday of the week that im not in the best pysical shape, but there is nothing id rather have more than the opportunity to be in the canadian forces. If i do end up being put into the "fat camp" on oct30, than so be it. If doing that is what it takes for me to get me going on my way to becoming a soldier, than sign me up. Since my fail, i have been working hard. I had honestly expected more from some of you, especially the vets... i just dont agree that people who are not in great physical shape, should not get the same opportunity as someone who is. Obviously to an extent though.. i think with this new system, if will motivate and have people making the standard much faster, than them doing it on their own.. just my opinion though

099*.. you make it sound like people who fail their pt are fat and lazy. I can tell you look at this warrior platoon and see 40-50 270lbs kids eating twinkies and watching tv. when infact they're people slightly not ready for bmq requirements. I DO think though, that 90 days is kind of overdoing it. if you need 90 days to get in shape, than im sure you had no chance in hell of passing the pt test

Back