• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New PT Test Requirements...Thoughts?

SamIAm said:
Hmmmm.  Measuring the size of my penis???? Chances are not.

Once again you make fallacious assumptions...

Sincerely,

Ms. SamIAm.
I think it wasn't a fallacious assumption, but rather a phallus assumption?  ;)

OK, I know, I know, back to my corner....

Pte. Pukepail said:
Well, I'm not going to educate you guys on non-standard English, and the common usage of such words as 'irregardless' to evoke emphasis, but...

What I find the most astonishing is that you all seem pretty bent on defending the inadequacies of the armed forces- the lack of physical fitness in some of its members in this case.  That seriously makes me wonder about some of you, and I just hope to hell none of you will be in the regiment I am eventually assigned to.  But then I doubt many if any of you are infantry, so I'm sure that won't be a problem.

You mean my Regiment?  (check my profile...)

Before anyone gets on me, this is meant as a joke to make people chuckle, put the swords away and get back on track.

ALthough, we ARE recruiting in my unit.  Mukluks repaired anyone?  ;D

Pte. Pukepail said:
Well, sorry, but I can't and refuse to respect those with no self respect.  If I as an NCM, lowly grunt must achieve a certain physical standard and maintain that standard, than so should the senior men and women.

Not everybody is expected or required to maintain certain standards like BFT. That's irrelevant to a lot of jobs.

Mine, for one.

I am, however, expected to maintain a higher level of certain areas of fitness than most others. Some of that, however, is not within my control.

You get respect where it's earned

Yup.

And you're not doing so hot there.

I mean, if you weight 300 pounds and have a huge gut but can still rock an 8-k full ruck march on any given day, then I got nothing but respect.  To those who don't and choose not to, and come up with ways to avoid such things...well,  I think my opinion of those people is clear.

Your opinion may change when you're sitting in the back of a Griffon (if you make it that far) whipping along at tree-top height in pitch blackness. I don't think that my ability or lack thereof to hump a rucksack (and, yes, I have done that in my Infantry past) is going to be uppermost in your mind. Other abilities - or lack thereof - may, though.

My "way(s) to avoid such things" was to go through pilot training. And I care not one whit what your opinion is of me.

Pte. Pukepail said:
But then I doubt many if any of you are infantry, so I'm sure that won't be a problem.

What in the hell is that supposed to mean? First off, we have a large number of infanteers here, second, just so you're aware, an Infantry unit does not hold only infanteers. Oh yes, you have clerks, V techs, Sig Ops, MSE ops, etc. Hell, some of us even do the PT  as well :eek:

And I sincerely hope you're not insinuating that infanteers hold a monopoly on physical fitness.

look, I've SEEN it with my own eyes- people on ruck marches, so out of shape that they're grabbing onto the people in front of them to remain in step.  People that look like they haven't done PT in years.

How long where those people marching for?

Listen, like others have said, don't judge. I laughed when my Basic Platoons OC first ran PT with us. Man had a HUGE gut. Little did I know that buddy used to run marathons, and ran us INTO THE GROUND. And I run a lot.

People have different body types, and have different jobs. I've been on ranges with officers who hadn't handled a rifle in YEARS. But could be unmatched when it comes to, project management, procurement, engineering, etc.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'd love to see everyone in the forces running 5 k a day, pumping push-ups instead of drinking coffee, looking fit and cut. But that's not realistic. If you can do your job, fine. If you meet standards, fine. But Don't judge.

A little out of my lane, but to echo Scott, can we stop the dog pile?

Re..New PT Test Requirements...Thoughts?

Frankie said:
A little out of my lane, but to echo Scott, can we stop the dog pile?

Re..New PT Test Requirements...Thoughts?

Agreed.  Pukepail came forward, apologised for his attitude and wants to soldier on.  Let's leave it at that.

Pte. Pukepail said:
Well, I'm not going to educate you guys on non-standard English, and the common usage of such words as 'irregardless' to evoke emphasis, but...

What I find the most astonishing is that you all seem pretty bent on defending the inadequacies of the armed forces- the lack of physical fitness in some of its members in this case.  That seriously makes me wonder about some of you, and I just hope to hell none of you will be in the regiment I am eventually assigned to.  But then I doubt many if any of you are infantry, so I'm sure that won't be a problem.

You obviously know nothing about the history of infantry regiments in Canada or you would recognize my on-line name and hatbadge!

Also not defending inadequacies of the Forces, just trying to educate uninformed people like yourself.

The bold is my addition, non-standard English is merely a catchword used by those who try to use big words to make themselves sound smarter and only end up looking stupid. Enough said, you apologized but I felt it necessary to clear up these few things.

Now that we're back on topic...

Scarey Thought for the Day:

1. No more PT test at CFRCs.  For anyone.
2. Remedial Training for Reg F
3. No such back-up plan for PRes

Look, we know that PT cannot be maintained on one evening per week, and one weekend a month - and it's up to the personal motivation and pride of individual PRes members to maintain a semblance of fitness.  I'm a proud PRes member, I've busted my ass for every opportunity I've had to work with the Regs, and while there, I had to bust my ass to prove I was worthy of being there.  I'm REALLY tired of the Big R, little r fight - this is not going to help.

On the plus side, a current fitness evaluation is required for promotion - but I'm sure there's another thread on this board somewhere lambasting the EXPRES test...

tlm.

The new requirements leave someone like me in an interesting situation. I was (still am?) a CIC officer who began transferring to the regiment in the same building I paraded in. The last thing I had to do to complete the transfer was my PT test. While getting ready for it I received an e-mail from the local CFRC. It stated a policy change had come down the line, and I was as good as done as soon as I handed in the attached paperwork. That being only a fill in the blank reference letter, I'm now inches from being in the PRes. While excited, I'm also nervous. I had a job toss up at the beginning of summer, and lost a lot of ground in my own fitness while scrambling to make ends meet. Now I'm going to be a commissioned officer in a unit, and not be at where I want to be physically. I wouldn't have minded taking the time to build up to being more able to take on the task. I may also have my basic written off as I've an equivalent with the number of CIC courses I've taken (all days counted are more than BMQ) and have had 3 class B summer contracts.
The thing I'm uncomfortable with is being brought into this situation in transfer so abruptly. I feel I will now have to work that much harder to prove myself, and plan on working hard to make my fitness something they tell officers it should be. But I feel I should have to prove myself somewhat able BEFORE entering.
Also, if I had no problems staying on to be 'recycled' on a course, does anyone know if I can send it up the chain to be treated as such? Now that All PRes and Reg officers are doing the same CAP, as far as I understand.

wait for the equivalencies to be explained to you.....
if you feel you need to take a certain course over again, tell the CO at your intro interview....

Well the last 12 pages was a somewhat interesting read. As far as this new policy goes, and to echo a little of 2Cdo's statements, it's about freaken time they did something like this. Being in my mid thirties and having joined in 1990 I have had an intresting vantage point. I seem to have watched a slow steady decline in fitness in the CF for the first 7 years followed by a sharp drop for the last 9 or so. If some one would have suggested the idea of a " fat camp" 6 or 7 years ago I would have thumbed my nose at those that didn't have enough "self respect" to keep them selves in shape. But today I honestly think it's a smashing idea. One only needs to take a look at society to see the rise in obesity in the last few years in Canada and even more so in the US. I remember going through Cornwallis (as I am sure some others do too) and sitting through hygiene lectures to teach you how to wash etc. Most if not all of us already knew this info but to others i am sure it was foreign. Today fitness is no longer part of peoples daily lives, my kids would rather sit on the computer or watch satellite TV than go ride bikes with their friends, as a result maybe we need to teach new recruits how to be fit, eat smart, and most importantly WHY it is so important to stay fit in our chosen profession regardless of your rank, position or trade. It's also a units responsibility to ensure soldier are given time to stay fit and our responsibility as the old dogs to steer them in the right direction if things start coming off the rails. Things change, societies change at least the CF is trying to change too. If someone wants lead the life of a soldier and is willing to put in the effort to meet the standard, lets encourage it. Do we really want an Army full of fit people who joined for "a job"?
You can still be fit and be lazy at the same time. How many guys do you know on a "hockey scholarship". Basic training is just that Basic. If new recruits need a life lesson in basic fitness and a fit lifestyle, lets give it too them, after all they have one thing going for them at least, desire to serve.
And for Gods sakes get the burgers and fries out of the mess hall!

I'm a little worried about this. I'm starting a reserve BMQ/SQ next semester, and it is being run as a coop course through school. I worked hard to get where I am now- I dropped my 2.4 time by almost 3 minutes, and can now do double the pushups I used to do. I made it, but know several that failed the physical test.

Considering that we only have the duration of one semester to get through BMQ/SQ, what will happen to those that were admitted but can't handle the PT? Some of these kids couldn't even finish the 2.4km during self assessment! Are they just going to be dragged along, or is there a plan for PRes courses? It will probably take the duration of the coop for some of them just to get to 20 pushups and a 2.4 km run.

I've offered to help a few kids run, but they cite that they aren't really into running on their own time. I can just see us all running slower so we don't make them fall out of a run  :-X

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that the physical testing has been dropped from the processing for reserves because it hasn't.

Note: The Canadian Forces Applicant Physical Fitness Test is eliminated from the selection process for the Regular Force effective October 1, 2006. The Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School will be responsible for assessing physical fitness and will implement a program to assist new enrolees to each an acceptable level of physical fitness prior to commencing basic training. Until further notice, the test will remain in the selection process for Reserve applicants. The Guide to physical fitness remains available for applicants wishing to self-evaluate and increase their physical fitness level.

It would be impossible for the reserves to run a 'Warrior Platoon' program as done for the Reg F.

Sir,

My friend had a PT test scheduled for yesterday, and was called several days ago and told he would not do the PT test, as it was no longer needed. He is applying for res. infantry in Ontario, and this was passed to him by way of CFRC. I will tell him ASAP to call back and figure this out, as the CFRC staff must have made a mistake.

Thank you for your information!

we are only as strong as the weakest link

given the nature of our society (the me, myself & I generation) it is certain that there has been a drastic drop in the number of physically fit characters walking into the CFRC & recruiting drives.  Most young 'uns are more inclined to sit & PM/chat than play/do sports so you can either doom your recruiting drives OR enroll the smart ones & bring em up to an acceptable standard ocer time.

kincanucks said:
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that the physical testing has been dropped from the processing for reserves because it hasn't.

Note: The Canadian Forces Applicant Physical Fitness Test is eliminated from the selection process for the Regular Force effective October 1, 2006. The Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School will be responsible for assessing physical fitness and will implement a program to assist new enrolees to each an acceptable level of physical fitness prior to commencing basic training. Until further notice, the test will remain in the selection process for Reserve applicants. The Guide to physical fitness remains available for applicants wishing to self-evaluate and increase their physical fitness level.

It would be impossible for the reserves to run a 'Warrior Platoon' program as done for the Reg F.

You know how things change Kincanucks, and then change back.  The policy is no more PT test even for the reserves.  This is very recent. 

Reserve units are now responsible to have testing done on an annual basis for their troops.  Either an express test or a BFT for the army.  This will have an effect on promotions, courses etc.  Now whether units will be dilligent in this I do not know.  I know some units in my area have already done a BFT.

kincanucks said:

From an email from my local CFRC Det Comd dated 101553 Oct 06:
A number of years ago, physical fitness testing was introduced as part of the processing for applicants.  I have received direction this date that we will no longer be conducting the Canadian Forces Applicant Physical Fitness Testing as part of the processing cycle.  Please remain assured that we will continue to stress the importance of physical training to all applicants.

And yes - it would be impossible for the Reserves to have a remedial training platoon like the Regs. 

tlm.

Crantor said:
You know how things change Kincanucks, and then change back.  The policy is no more PT test even for the reserves.  This is very recent. 

Reserve units are now responsible to have testing done on an annual basis for their troops.  Either an express test or a BFT for the army.  This will have an effect on promotions, courses etc.   Now whether units will be dilligent in this I do not know.  I know some units in my area have already done a BFT.

Crantor,

I think we all agree that is a good thing (the bolded part of my quote).  It applies to Reg and Res and its nice to see the current CDS enforcing/demanding the standard is met or the people that don't meet it are "held back" until such time as they do.

MRM

Absolutely. I think this is an excellent direction to be taking.  Even though PRES units won't have remedial platoons, the possibility to go on course or get promoted, heck even summer employment will be a good motivator to stay in shape.  You didn't pass test, sorry see you next summer.

Back