• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Royal Navy Warfare Officer pin

captloadie said:
Be prepared to have your mind blown. The newest Dress instructions actually allow this:

(Long-Sleeved Shirt)
No. 3A Indoors, when an occasion allows the removal of jackets for a more casual work appearance. May be worn:
a. aboard military vehicles, ships and aircraft;
b. within the confines of DND property, including military buildings, or those areas of public buildings occupied by the military; and
c. may be worn as walking out dress when worn with headdress.

See! Now we definitely need a name tag. What military uniform in the entire world is there that's seen in the general public without a name tag!?

#nametaggen

Lumber said:
See! Now we definitely need a name tag. What military uniform in the entire world is there that's seen in the general public without a name tag!?

#nametaggen

...and to bring this thread full-circle, the Royal Navy* dress uniform  :nod:

HMS-Prince-of-Wales_new-captain_Navy-2_edit.jpg

*and Royal Marines, and Royal Air Force, and...well you get the point.  Brits apparently don't like nametags on dress or service uniforms.

Dimsum said:
...and to bring this thread full-circle, the Royal Navy* dress uniform  :nod:

*and Royal Marines, and Royal Air Force, and...well you get the point.  Brits apparently don't like nametags on dress or service uniforms.

I can't tell if this went from serious, to satire and now back to serious, or if it is some kind of clever absurdities that just went over my head.

Mods, please kill this thread with cleansing fire before the good idea fairies see it. Because, holy crap, really better things to do. :facepalm:

Lumber said:

#nametaggen

Name tags fix a problem? I thought you guys were able to solve everything with a giant NASCAR-esque addition of NAVY/MARINE to every viewable angle of a uniform.

Navy_Pete said:
I can't tell if this went from serious, to satire and now back to serious, or if it is some kind of clever absurdities that just went over my head.

Mods, please kill this thread with cleansing fire before the good idea fairies see it. Because, holy crap, really better things to do. :facepalm:

I'm treating this like a Monty Python sketch, myself  :nod:

Not sure that a post specifically about bobbles could have gone any other way but this.

PuckChaser said:
Name tags fix a problem? I thought you guys were able to solve everything with a giant NASCAR-esque addition of NAVY/MARINE to every viewable angle of a uniform.

HEY!!!!!
Don't lump me in with those ahem "people" who pushed the 90 pieces of flare on the NCD and DEUs. I was never in favour of any of that crap! :facepalm:

Navy_Pete said:
Uh, what?  It's an allowed order of dress, most people just don't wear the shoulder boards and whatnot underneath the sweater. Because, you know, if it's cold enough for a sweater, wearing a short sleeve is a bit dumb. It may be discouraged among some as a tradition, but that's like the beret.

Some days I like to rock a beret with sweater, short sleeve and parade boots just to cross all the lines.

It's not an allowed order of dress for naval officers. from https://www.canada.ca/en/services/defence/caf/military-identity-system/dress-manual/chapter-5/annex-c.html:

Sweaters. No. 3C order of dress:
Nothing shall be sewn on the sweater; the Remembrance Day poppy may be pinned to the sweater and in the case of the Army v-neck sweater the plastic name tag will be worn at the position indicated. Neckties are mandatory for Naval Officers, otherwise optional.

If you scroll down to figure 5C-4, the note in the inset reads "Neckties: a. Shall be worn by the navy in long sleeved shirts only"

Berets and parade boots for days, though.

bLUE fOX said:
It's not an allowed order of dress for naval officers. from https://www.canada.ca/en/services/defence/caf/military-identity-system/dress-manual/chapter-5/annex-c.html:

Nothing shall be sewn on the sweater; the Remembrance Day poppy may be pinned to the sweater and in the case of the Army v-neck sweater the plastic name tag will be worn at the position indicated. Neckties are mandatory for Naval Officers, otherwise optional.

If you scroll down to figure 5C-4, the note in the inset reads "Neckties: a. Shall be worn by the navy in long sleeved shirts only"

Huh, who knew?

Easily the most ignored dress order in the CAF, but normally just keep a CANEX jacket handy for when I get cold with the short sleeve; some offices are just brutal in temperature fluctuations through the day, and you can freeze on one side while sweating on the other, with the meeting rooms being a roll of the dice. Fortunately common sense seems to win the day, and no one really cares as long as you are working. :dunno:

Anyway, hope we don't try and adapt this; that would just be another dumb piece of flair. Personally I think adding flair is a distraction tactic for things going starting to swirl the drain, but if we are going to go full Monty Python, I'd like a Deputy Minister of silly walks, a tricorn, cape and letter of marque.

Navy_Pete said:
...but if we are going to go full Monty Python, I'd like a Deputy Minister of silly walks.

DHH is responsible for the drill manual.

Navy_Pete said:
a tricorn, cape

DHH is also responsible for the dress manual.

Navy_Pete said:
and letter of marque.

So, that's either CJOC (operations) or ADM(Mat) (contracting for services).

In other words, already got you covered.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but to answer the question posed a while back, the latest minutes of the dress committee confirm that the RCN will soon have a similar pin.

, but if we are going to go full Monty Python, I'd like a Deputy Minister of silly walks, a tricorn, cape and letter of marque.
If you get one let me know. I've grown used to the idea of being a privateer.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but to answer the question posed a while back, the latest minutes of the dress committee confirm that the RCN will soon have a similar pin.
They started updating those on the DWAN again? I thought the last ones were from 2018 or so.

It's not an allowed order of dress for naval officers. from Dress instructions | Annex C Service dress - No. 3 - Canada.ca:

I was told that once too, someone thought that Navy short sleeve shirt under sweater wasn't allowed. Confirmed with my Chief: it's actually that Navy officers can either do 1) long sleeve shirt with necktie or 2) short sleeve shirt without necktie, under the sweater. Neckties are mandatory when long sleeve shirts are worn, but are not worn with short sleeve shirts. This makes sense, because the spread collar on the Navy officer short sleeve shirt can't be worn with neckties; though it's physically possible to wear a necktie with the Navy NCM, Army and Air Force short sleeve shirts. "Neckties are mandatory for Naval Officers, otherwise optional" is not intended to be read as "Naval Officers shall not wear short sleeve shirts under the sweater".

I was told that once too, someone thought that Navy short sleeve shirt under sweater wasn't allowed. Confirmed with my Chief: it's actually that Navy officers can either do 1) long sleeve shirt with necktie or 2) short sleeve shirt without necktie, under the sweater. Neckties are mandatory when long sleeve shirts are worn, but are not worn with short sleeve shirts. This makes sense, because the spread collar on the Navy officer short sleeve shirt can't be worn with neckties; though it's physically possible to wear a necktie with the Navy NCM, Army and Air Force short sleeve shirts. "Neckties are mandatory for Naval Officers, otherwise optional" is not intended to be read as "Naval Officers shall not wear short sleeve shirts under the sweater".
Sadly (or not) your Chief is wrong. This is under the "Sweaters" headline and as such, if wearing a sweater a Naval Officer must wear a necktie and, ergo, must wear a long sleeved shirt.

Sadly (or not) your Chief is wrong. This is under the "Sweaters" headline and as such, if wearing a sweater a Naval Officer must wear a necktie and, ergo, must wear a long sleeved shirt.
Nope, that's convention and not what's in the dress manual. Recently got clarification that yes, officers can wear short sleeves with the sweater. In practice means that you don't wear shoulderboards on the SS, but is no big deal to put them on if you want to take the sweater off.

So how to we square these things right out of the Dress Instructions?

"
  1. Nothing shall be sewn on the sweater; the Remembrance Day poppy may be pinned to the sweater and in the case of the Army v-neck sweater the plastic name tag will be worn at the position indicated. Neckties are mandatory for Naval Officers, otherwise optional.
Square that statement with this:

figure-5-c-5.png

Neckties: a: Navy - shall be worn with long-sleeved shirts only.

So - if Naval Officers must wear a necktie with a sweater, they must also wear a long sleeved shirt. It isn't convention - it is actually what is written in the Dress Instructions

Last edited:
Back