• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Royal Navy Warfare Officer pin

And yet, direction still came down that it's fine to wear SS with sweaters for officers, so likely one of those dress committee amendments. And really, who cares? That's some pretty weird upstairs/downstairs holdover.

And yet, direction still came down that it's fine to wear SS with sweaters for officers, so likely one of those dress committee amendments. And really, who cares? That's some pretty weird upstairs/downstairs holdover.
I would love to see the direction as even the "RCN Dress Regulations" posted to the RCN Dress Committee sharepoint says the same thing (and actually adds CPO1s to the requirement). You're right though - who cares... why follow the rules we established ourselves.

EDIT to add: and if this magical direction came down (please post a link - us OUTCAN folks could use it), why can't we be bothered to update the references? Perhaps that is the larger problem

So how to we square these things right out of the Dress Instructions?

So - if Naval Officers must wear a necktie with a sweater, they must also wear a long sleeved shirt. It isn't convention - it is actually what is written in the Dress Instructions

For sake of curiosity, sent this to my Chief, who asked another Chief and an Army RSM to confirm and show me where to look it up. Bottom line: short sleeves are permitted under sweaters. Ack the Dress Regs you’re quoting from 2017 can be read that way - exact words from the RSM, “sure, an Army RSM would read it that way” - but that is not what is meant.

It’s in the minutes of the Naval Dress Committee from 14 Jun 18 (dated 7 Sep 18) and the NDCDC from 10 Dec 18: “change the wording to remove the Officer restriction for sweaters and short sleeve shirts”. They even document that the way you’re quoting it makes no sense: it would be a obvious “dissatisfier" if you were wearing a short sleeve shirt, and you had to change your shirt and put on a tie if all you wanted to do was put on a sweater.

All that is meant is that you don't wear a necktie with the officer's short sleeve shirt.

For sake of curiosity, sent this to my Chief, who asked another Chief and an Army RSM to confirm and show me where to look it up. Bottom line: short sleeves are permitted under sweaters. Ack the Dress Regs you’re quoting from 2017 can be read that way - exact words from the RSM, “sure, an Army RSM would read it that way” - but that is not what is meant.

It’s in the minutes of the Naval Dress Committee from 14 Jun 18 (dated 7 Sep 18) and the NDCDC from 10 Dec 18: “change the wording to remove the Officer restriction for sweaters and short sleeve shirts”. They even document that the way you’re quoting it makes no sense: it would be a obvious “dissatisfier" if you were wearing a short sleeve shirt, and you had to change your shirt and put on a tie if all you wanted to do was put on a sweater.

All that is meant is that you don't wear a necktie with the officer's short sleeve shirt.
Odd that I read it that way as a Naval Officer and have been told the same by Senior RCN Officers and NCMs alike.

Perhaps some clarity would be useful from the RCN leadership (they should probably remove the sharepoint references and links from DWAN if the intent is as interpreted by the Chiefs and Army RSM) will try to seek out same.

Last edited:
The NCD jacket would fit right in there ;)

Of course, the Army, having spent millions to develop a better camouflage pattern than olive drab, now festoons it with high viz fripperies...

now festoons it with high viz fripperies...
...take those patches off when in the field?

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

They started updating those on the DWAN again? I thought the last ones were from 2018 or so.
Sorry, to be more specific, the Naval Dress Committee. Minutes are up on sharepoint.

Perhaps some clarity would be useful from the RCN leadership (they should probably remove the sharepoint references and links from DWAN if the intent is as interpreted by the Chiefs and Army RSM) will try to seek out same.
The intent is captured in the discussion in the Naval Dress Committee minutes on Sharepoint (14 Jun 18) and the NDCDC minutes (10 Dec 18) on DWAN if you have access. But yes, we are after all just "people on the Internet" anonymously quoting our respective dress/deportment SMEs and references. For now if the Chief says we're good to go with short sleeves and sweaters, and provided the references, that's enough clarity in my unit. Again it's common sense: why would you need to change your shirt and put on a tie if all you want to do is put on a sweater?

I have learned to loath dress and deportment. Not because it isn't important to look good, it's just everyone's personal definition of what looks good is different.

If only the CAF spent as much time on physical fitness as they did on what button goes where, then it wouldn't matter what ridiculous uniform we wore.

...and people say men don't care about fashion...
It doesn't matter what accoutrements and sort of tom foolery the dress committee comes up with to put on our uniforms. If the person wearing it looks kind of slovenly and the uniforms were cut with fabric the CAF procured from the Walmart discount aisle, we will look like garbage.

case in point:

french-paratroopers-from-the-1st-parachute-chasseur-regiment-take-in-picture-id148321330

French Paras - ridiculous uniform with ridiculous colours and flamboyant scarfs. By god do they look well turned out wearing them though!

YEGH5J5GIJFLVJ7TJOCOE3JL44.png

Good god, look at that V-Neck!

marines-and-other-military-groups-march-in-the-veterans-day-parade-on-video-id1187121507

Marines.... A little on the conservative side but by god do they look well turned out!

15126fe2c2171f11ceac0ca7a6886b51.jpg

Even the US Army manages to make the arguably the worst looking uniforms and berets in NATO (next to us of course) somehow look good because their troops are well turned out!

Our friends in the other Miliarized Arm of the Government of Canada certainly know how to look fantastic on parade:

rcmp-sunset-retreat-ceremonies.jpg

So why do our uniforms generally look like garbage?

Pass_and_Review.jpg

The best looking person with the shiniest shoes shouldn't be the 4-Star Marine General. We need to start taking our cues from the Mounties., we should hire whoever sits on their dress committee and have them revamp our entire look!

Back