• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nijmegen Marches - Merged Thread

The dnd website says we sent 220 members to this year's march.  My condolences to the family and friends of the two who passed away attempting the march.

Could someone post the CANFORGEN for the Nijmegen March in 2008? (or the one from 2007 if it is not out yet)

Pieman said:
Could someone post the CANFORGEN for the Nijmegen March in 2008? (or the one from 2007 if it is not out yet)

This is 2007's.  It was DTG for Jan, so the 2008 one should be out in the New Year.

CANFORGEN 014/07 CEFCOM 036/07 301413Z JAN 07
OP NIJMEGEN 2007 - CEFCOM OP O 02801/07
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: CDS DIRECTIVE 019/06 2214Z FEB 06

SITUATION

1.A. THE NIJMEGEN INTERNATIONAL FOUR-DAY MARCH IS HELD ANNUALLY IN THE NETHERLANDS. THIS RIGOROUS AND PRESTIGIOUS EVENT DRAWS APPROX 45,000 MARCHERS FROM 50 COUNTRIES AND IS WITNESSED BY OVER 1 MILLION SPECTATORS. CANADA HAS PARTICIPATED SINCE 1952

1.B. MILITARY MEMBERS COMPLETE THE FOUR-DAY 160-KM (4 X 40-KM) MARCH IN CADPAT CARRYING A MINIMUM RUCKSACK LOAD OF 10-KG

1.C. THE 91ST NIJMEGEN MARCHES WILL BE HELD 17 - 20 JUL 07. IAW CDS DIRECTION AT REF, CF PARTICIPATION WILL BE AT A LEVEL APPROPRIATE TO RECOGNIZING THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP THAT HAS EXISTED BETWEEN CANADA AND THE NETHERLANDS SINCE THE SECOND WORLD WAR

1.D. CF PARTICIPATION WILL BE UNDER THE DIRECTION OF CEFCOM

1.E. THE THEME OF PARTICIPATION IS NATIONAL REPRESENTATION. PARTICIPANTS ARE TO REPRESENT THE BREADTH OF THE CF INCL REPS OF ALL RANKS, TRADES, ENVIRONMENTS AND PROVINCES. TEAMS ARE TO BE LARGELY COMPOSED OF FIRST-TIME PARTICIPANTS. IDEALLY, A TEAM SHOULD INCLUDE A MAXIMUM OF TWO PREVIOUS PARTICIPANTS TO PROVIDE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONDUCT AND DEMANDS OF THE EVENT. WHILE MARCH TRG WILL DETERMINE THE SUITABILITY OF VOLUNTEERS FOR THE EVENT, NATIONAL REPRESENTATION WILL BE THE OVERRIDING CRITERIA FOR FINAL TEAM SELECTION. COMDS AND GROUP PRINCIPALS ARE TO ENSURE THEIR TEAM(S) COMPOSITION REFLECT THESE DIVERSITIES

MISSION. THE CF WILL PARTICIPATE IN THE NIJMEGEN MARCHES (NM)2007

EXECUTION

3.A. CONCEPT OF OPS

3.A.(1) CDN PARTICIPATION IN THE NM WILL BE PLANNED AND ORGANIZED AS A CF TRG ACTIVITY UNDER THE NAME QUOTE OPERATION JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 UNQUOTE. JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 WILL CONSIST OF APPROXIMATELY 220 REGULAR AND PRIMARY RESERVE FORCE PERSONNEL ORGANIZED INTO 15 TEAMS OF 11 PERSONNEL EACH, A LIMITED NUMBER OF INDEPENDENT MARCHERS AND A SMALL SUPPORT STAFF. THE CONTINGENT MAY BE AUGMENTED BY REPRESENTATIVE MARCHERS FROM THE RCMP, MP S, SENATORS, HCOL/CAPT(N), LEGION, ETC SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF AIRLIFT AND FUNDING

3.A.(2) THIS ACTIVITY IS TO BE CONDUCTED IN A MANNER SIMILAR TO ALL CDN MIL OPS. COMDS SHALL ENSURE TEAMS HAVE MET THE TRAINING STANDARD AND ARE OPERATIONALLY READY TO DEPLOY. TEAMS SHALL TRAIN AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. CENTRAL FUNDING WILL BE PROVIDED FOR THE TRANSPORT OF JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 FROM THE RESPECTIVE CDN AIRPORT OF EMBARKATION (APOE) AND RETURN TO THE CF AIRPORT OF DEBARKATION (APOD). THIS WILL INCLUDE COSTS FOR MARCHER REGISTRATION, RATIONS AND QUARTERS. IT IS EXPECTED THAT A MAXIMUM OF ELEVEN DAYS WILL BE REQUIRED AS FOL

3.A.(2)(A) TRAVEL TO NETHERLANDS ONE DAY

3.A.(2)(B) ORGANIZATION, ADMINISTRATION AND ACCLIMATIZATION TWO DAYS

3.A.(2)(C) MARCH (OPENING CEREMONIES PLUS FOUR DAYS MARCH) FIVE DAYS

3.A.(2)(D) REST (MEDICAL RECOVERIES, REST AND RECUPERATION INCLUDES A MOVE FROM NIJMEGEN TO HARSKAMP) TWO DAYS

3.A.(2)(E) RETURN TRAVEL TO CANADA ONE DAY

3.A.(3) THE MINIMUM TRAINING STANDARD FOR EACH TEAM MEMBER IS

3.A.(3)(A) 500 KM MARCHING AS A TEAM

3.A.(3)(B) TWO 40 KM MARCHES CONDUCTED ON CONSECUTIVE DAYS AS A TEAM

3.B. TASKS. RECOGNIZING THE CURRENT HIGH TEMPO OF ACTIVITY WITHIN THE CF, IT IS EMPHASIZED THAT THE ALLOCATIONS OF TEAMS AS DETAILED BELOW ARE DEPENDANT ON THE AVAILABILITY OF PERSONNEL. TENTATIVE ALLOCATIONS ARE BASED ON A BALANCE BETWEEN HISTORICAL PARTICIPATION AND CURRENT COMPONENT COMMAND (CC) STRENGTH

3.B.(1) CMS

3.B.(1)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS THREE TEAMS

3.B.(1)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) BY 15 FEB 07

3.B.(1)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAMS IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES

3.B.(2) CLS

3.B.(2)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS FOUR TEAMS

3.B.(2)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) BY 15 FEB 07

3.B.(2)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAMS IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES

3.B.(3) CAS

3.B.(3)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS FOUR TEAMS

3.B.(3)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) BY 15 FEB 07

3.B.(3)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAMS IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES

3.B.(3)(D) PROVIDE CF AIRLIFT (CC-150 PREFERRED) FOR 190 PERS FROM CANADIAN APOE (S) TO THE NETHERLANDS AND RETURN TO APOD (S)
removed dates and locations on airlift
3.B.(4) CHIEF MILITARY PERSONNEL (CMP)

3.B.(4)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS ONE TEAM

3.B.(4)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) BY 15 FEB 07

3.B.(4)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAM IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES

3.B.(5) CANOSCOM

3.B.(5)(A) COORD STRAT AIRLIFT OF PERS FROM APOE TO APOD WITH 1CAD AND CEFCOM

3.B.(5)(B) CONDUCT MED RECCE/LIAISON WITH CFSU(E)/HNS. QUERIES TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) OR EMAIL

3.B.(5)(C) PRODUCE MED ESTIMATE AND MED PLAN FOR OP

3.B.(5)(D) PROVIDE ROLE 1 HSS TO JTF NIJMEGEN AND COORD PROVISION OF ROLE 2 AND 3 HSS THROUGH HNS

3.B.(6) ADM(IM)

3.B.(6)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS ONE TEAM

3.B.(6)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) BY 15 FEB 07

3.B.(6)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAM IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES

3.B.(7) NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION (NCR)

3.B.(7)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS ONE TEAM

3.B.(7)(B) TEAM TO CONSIST OF PERSONNEL FROM THE NCR

3.B.(7)(C) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC (TEAM LEADER NAME). NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO JTF OP NIJMEGEN 2007 POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) BY 15 FEB 07

3.B.(7)(D) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAM IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES

3.B.(8 ) COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2007

3.B.(8 )(A) ALLOCATED ONE TEAM

3.B.(8 )(B) TEAM WILL BE ASSIGNED PENDING APPLICATIONS MADE IAW PARA

3.B.(9) BELOW

3.B.(8 )(C) COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 WILL PROVIDE ADVICE TO COMD CEFCOM ON THIS MATTER

3.B.(9) ANY CF UNIT MAY APPLY TO FORM A TEAM SUBJECT TO SPACE AVAILABILITY ON THE ASSIGNED CF AIRLIFT. APPLICATIONS SHALL BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE CHAIN OF COMMAND TO JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 CONTINGENT COMMANDER BGEN ROMSES, CDLS LONDON UK //COMD// BY 01 MAR 07. UNIT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL TRAINING RELATED EXPENSES, TN AND TD TO/FM CDN APOE AND APOD. CRITERIA FOR SELECTION ARE

3.B.(9)(A) NUMBER OF FIRST TIME PARTICIPANTS

3.B.(9)(B) TIME LAPSED SINCE LAST PARTICIPATION

3.B.(9)(C) SPECIAL EVENT, E.G. SIGNIFICANT ANNIVERSARY OF UNIT

3.B.(9)(D) ANY OTHER AS DETERMINED BY COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2007

3.B.(10) CA NMR SHAPE

3.B.(10)(A) PROVIDE LOGISTICAL SUPPORT (TRANSPORT, LAUNDRY, AND COMMS)

3.B.(11) VCDS

3.B.(11)(A) (REF EMAIL FROM CFSU(OTTAWA) DATED 8 NOV 06) CFSU(O) HAS AGREED TO

3.B.(11)(A)(I) ARRANGE TN FOR AND FUND THE NCR (NDHQ) REPRESENTATIVE TEAM FOR OP NIJMEGEN PERSONNEL TO/FM CDN APOE AND APOD

3.C. FOR PLANNING PURPOSES, MILESTONES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

3.C.(1) 15 FEB 07: COMDS/GROUP PRINCIPALS TO NOMINATE NDHQ POC

3.C.(2) 01 MAR 07: APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR TEAM NOMINATIONS

3.C.(3) NLT 15 MAR 07: COMDS/GROUP PRINCIPALS TO ADVISE COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 OF ABILITY TO MEET TEAM ALLOC OR PROVIDE ADDITIONAL TEAMS

3.C.(4) 30 MAR 07: COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 ANNOUNCES TEAM ALLOCATIONS

3.C.(5) 02 APR 07: APPROX START OF TRG PERIOD

3.C.(6) 15 JUN 07: TEAM OPRED DECLARATIONS TO COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2007

3.C.(7) 09 JUL 07: ADV PARTY TRAVEL TO NL

3.C.(8 ) 13 JUL 07: JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 TRAVEL TO NL (ARR AM 14 JUL 07). A SPONSOR HAS PROPOSED FUNDING A VISIT TO VIMY RIDGE BY THE CONTINGENT. SHOULD THIS MATERIALIZE, THIS VISIT WOULD OCCUR ON ARR BY BUS TN TO NIJMEGEN ARR LATE PM 14 JUL 07

3.C.(9) 17 - 20 JUL 07: NM 2007

3.C.(10) 21 JUL 07: MOVE TO HARSKAMP

3.C.(11) 22 JUL 07: REST AND RECOVERY

3.C.(12) 23 JUL 07: CONTINGENT RETURNS TO CANADA

3.D. PA POLICY. PA STANCE FOR THIS OP IS PROACTIVE

3.E. PASSPORTS. ALL JTF NIJMEGEN 2007 PERSONNEL WILL REQUIRE A PASSPORT. PERSONNEL NOT IN POSSESSION OF EITHER A GREEN (SPECIAL) OR BLUE PASSPORT ARE TO APPLY FOR A GREEN PASSPORT THROUGH DTM PASSPORTS AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY. APPLICATIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY PHOTOS AND COMPLETED CFAO 20-1 ANNEX B

SERVICE SUPPORT. A LIMITED NUMBER OF SP PERS WILL PROVIDE NEC ADM, LOG, MED AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS SUPPORT.

4.A. DRIVERS - THREE MCPL/CPL/PTE DRIVERS QUAL TO OPERATE 9 PAX VANS WITH STANDARD TRANSMISSION

4.B. DRIVER - ONE MCPL/CPL DRIVER QUAL TO OPERATE A 3 TON TRUCK WITH STANDARD TRANSMISSION AND AIR BRAKES

4.C. COOKS - 1 X MCPL, 4 X CPL/PTE

4.D. ONE SGT/MCPL CONTINGENT QUARTERMASTER (MUST BE ABLE TO DRIVE 9 PASSENGER VAN STANDARD TRANSMISSION)

4.E. ONE SGT DATABASE MANAGER

4.F. ONE SGT CANTEEN MANAGER

4.G. TWO CPL/PTE GENERAL DUTY PERS

4.H. INTERESTED PERSONNEL SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR REQUEST TO VOLUNTEER VIA THE CHAIN OF COMMAND. REQUESTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO OP NIJMEGEN POC (CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316) NLT 01 MAY 07. EVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE TO OBTAIN MAX ASSISTANCE FROM UK AND NL CONTINGENTS AS IN THE PAST. ADDITIONAL SUPPORT TO BE PROVIDED FROM CFSU(E) AS RESOURCES PERMIT

Are there regional groups that train for this before the nomination period? Or does training begin only after the nominations have been made?

Rheostatic said:
Are there regional groups that train for this before the nomination period? Or does training begin only after the nominations have been made?

IIRC, different areas/bases/regions are given a certain number of positions that they can fill.  They then send out their own tasking/request message for volunteers.  Depending on how many volunteer will determine how the training and nomination is run.  For example, CFB Esquimalt typically has a large number of people who initially turn out.  Everyone begins training and there are certain criteria that must be met (ex. can't miss x number of days or you're gone).  And the team is built from there.

Do the Canadian military still carry weapons during the NM?

No - to the point but a sufficient reply to my enquiry.

Carrying weapons during NM was an honor bestowed only upon the CF.

Is there a explanation as to why this is not being done now?

I'm looking for info on OP NIJMEGEN and the 2009 Nijmegen marches. (More info here for those who aren't familiar with the event). It's something I've been meaning to try for years. I've expressed my interest to my chain, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Do I need to have a team to join, or will the local POC assign me to one? If anyone has a contact for a team in the NCR, please let me know. Also, if you have any first-hand experience with the process, share it here.

Yes, there have been threads on this in the past, but at best the advice there amounts to "request it through your chain of command". I've also read up on CANFORGEN 025/09 and the Vierdaagse website to get as much info as I can.

Link to the OP NIJMEGEN site: http://cefcom.kingston.mil.ca/nijmegen/index_e.asp

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and even if you don't have the answers I'm looking for, feel free to share some old Nijmegen stories  :)

While in my 5th year as a cadet, our squadron had arranged a team and raised funds for us to go. I made the team, and so began the busiest three and a half months of my life. We had practices Saturday, Sunday and Wednesdays (the other days I was either working or going for driver's Ed. after school). Over the course of 3 months, we walked about 1000km total. I we were all ready to go, that was until I got tendonitis. It hurt a little at first, but I just thought it to be something minor. So Saturday, we went on our normal 40km walk. I have a rather high pain tolerance, but after 35 km, I could go no more. The slight limp I had to lessen the pain on my foot caused two large blisters, each covering my heel.
I reluctantly gave up my position on the team, after all that walking I was left essentially empty handed minus the unique experiences one acquires during 7 hours of walking (apparently the normal time to finish was 7.5 - 8 hours, but our C.O. was quite eager to show up the Reg. Force guys).

This however was the year it was cancelled, 2006. The heat was so intense, there were 3 casualties and over 300 hospitalization of heat related sicknesses (IIRC). Even though my team only walked one day, I still wished I could have gone.

[RICE] said:
While in my 5th year as a cadet, our squadron had arranged a team and raised funds for us to go. I made the team, and so began the busiest three and a half months of my life. We had practices Saturday, Sunday and Wednesdays (the other days I was either working or going for driver's Ed. after school). Over the course of 3 months, we walked about 1000km total. I we were all ready to go, that was until I got tendonitis. It hurt a little at first, but I just thought it to be something minor. So Saturday, we went on our normal 40km walk. I have a rather high pain tolerance, but after 35 km, I could go no more. The slight limp I had to lessen the pain on my foot caused two large blisters, each covering my heel.
I reluctantly gave up my position on the team, after all that walking I was left essentially empty handed minus the unique experiences one acquires during 7 hours of walking (apparently the normal time to finish was 7.5 - 8 hours, but our C.O. was quite eager to show up the Reg. Force guys).

This however was the year it was cancelled, 2006. The heat was so intense, there were 3 casualties and over 300 hospitalization of heat related sicknesses (IIRC). Even though my team only walked one day, I still wished I could have gone.

OK, I'm going to go wayyyy out on a limb here and suggest that if anyone your age can say they've walked over 1000kms in 3 months as part of a team in pursuit of a worthy goal, whether or not they made it to the 'big event', then that's a significant lifetime achievement. Well done.

17 Wing News: http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/17w-17e/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=7954

I sincerely hope you get there. PowerOn.

(Rice) Excellent Job, You'll use those skills learned every day of your life.

-Neil

17 Wing news said:
So far over 20 members of the Wing have applied to endure the gruelling training but with cut-off for applicants not until April 14th, anyone interested can still join.
From this it sounds like there was some kind of call for applications over at 14 Wing. Not being on a base, I'm sort of out of the loop.

I know that reservists can participate. I don't know how they get their names to the team.

By the way, in the OP I asked for info on the NCR team, but if anyone has info on a Kingston team, that might be helpful as well.

Rheostatic said:
I know that reservists can participate. I don't know how they get their names to the team.

By the way, in the OP I asked for info on the NCR team, but if anyone has info on a Kingston team, that might be helpful as well.

Usually there is a "mass" emailing that goes out announcing the formation of the NCR Team.  Haven't seen one yet for this year.

If 17 Wing is training, does the air force have the info, an the lfwa cbg's don't have the info passed down the chain as of yet, with everyone getting ready for the combined cbg ex in suffield?

Just a thought, any advice via PM would be appreciated George.

Back