• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NO HONOR AMONG THIEVES !

paracowboy said:
Part of that, though, I blame on the constant shrinking of their rooms. Poor bastards are living in rooms the same size as my walk-in closet. And no, I'm not exaggerating. ******* tiny! Who wants to hang out in something that depressing?

This is very true.  I am generally a very social person; however, on CAP this summer, I avoided my room like the plague.  I frequently drove to Fredericton to have coffee at Starbucks and read a book.  Why?  Because there were 8 people crammed into a 4 person room.  There were no desks because there were 8 metal lockers (a'la school lockers) added to each rooom to accomodate the additional people.  There were only 4 chairs which had to be positioned in the very middle of the room.  You had to leave the room to change your mind.

In many circumstances, the only way to decrease tension was to avoid the room which resulted in a loss of camaraderie amongst course mates.

paracowboy said:
padre, give it up. When everyone lives together, they KNOW who's a thief, who's got the best TV, whose Mom sends the best cookies, etc. Beatings are were handed out when deserved, and everyone, INCLUDING the guilty party knew it. There are were no secrets among troops.

But, that's back when everyone left their doors open, hung out in the common room, partied in the hallways, etc. Now, they all lock their doors behind them, plug into their computer games, and never talk to each other.

Part of that, though, I blame on the constant shrinking of their rooms. Poor bastards are living in rooms the same size as my walk-in closet. And no, I'm not exaggerating. Fucking tiny! Who wants to hang out in something that depressing?

I recall, many years ago, a soldier marking time in front of my desk.  I awarded an appropriate punishment (probably several days CB) for failing to secure his belongings.  We used to have a saying: “locks keep honest men honest.”  When we all lived together* – as soldiers should, in decent (albeit somewhat Spartan) rooms, we were able to police ourselves.

Soldiers in barracks are something like an embryonic civil society: they quickly (back in Roman times, I guess) determine that they have to have rules for living together in harmony.  The rules are simple and clear – the golden rule, more or less, and 99% (in my experience) are pretty happy to obey those rules about 99% of the time.  I suspect the ‘rules’ haven’t changed very much over the millennia because human nature hasn’t changed all that much either.

I can only recall one summary trial of a barrack room thief; if memory serves I tried him – and remanded him up to a level where appropriate DB time would be available – in his hospital bed.  I disapproved of vigilante justice and said so to the single corporals who were responsible for the single soldiers’ barracks; I also understood the overwhelming need for it.

----------

* Officers with officers, sergeants with sergeants, ranks and file with rank and file: privacy (especially that of junior ranks) matters, too.

paracowboy said:
But, that's back when everyone left their doors open, hung out in the common room, partied in the hallways, etc. Now, they all lock their doors behind them, plug into their computer games, and never talk to each other.

Part of that, though, I blame on the constant shrinking of their rooms. Poor bastards are living in rooms the same size as my walk-in closet. And no, I'm not exaggerating. ******* tiny! Who wants to hang out in something that depressing?

You could also mention the complete outlawing of fun in the barracks, to include, but not limited to; loud music, parties in common areas, drinking in common areas, using bathtubs as coolers, invitation of sororities etc.

So you ended up with a long hallway lined with little cells, which had to be filled with quiet, sober, celibate little troopies, lest the Duty officer be beckoned by the MPs to punish some grievous infraction like drinking a beer with your friends in the hallway.

The "establishment" is just as much to blame for the criminalisation of fun as the troops are.

GO!!! said:
You could also mention the complete outlawing of fun in the barracks, to include, but not limited to; loud music, parties in common areas, drinking in common areas, using bathtubs as coolers, invitation of sororities etc.

So you ended up with a long hallway lined with little cells, which had to be filled with quiet, sober, celibate little troopies, lest the Duty officer be beckoned by the MPs to punish some grievous infraction like drinking a beer with your friends in the hallway.

The "establishment" is just as much to blame for the criminalisation of fun as the troops are.
very true.

It's depressing to do your rounds as Duty Sgt now. It used to be funny, with occasional flashes of hilarity, and rare instances of exasperation. Now, it's just depressing. I'd hate to live in Shacks now. Pathetic.

Let's not forget, however, as repugnant as this sort of behaviour is, it is still practiced by the small minority, with most soldiers being honest, honourable men and women doing their best for one another.  How could we explain the exemplary performance of our troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere otherwise?

Incidentally, although blanket parties et al. are no longer tolerated and generally no one looks the other way, there's still a very harsh form of social justice meted out to those who are proven thieves.  That man/woman ceases to be part of the group, becomes an outcast, no longer trusted or able to trust.  I've seen two cases in recent years of thieves who have been dealt with "appropriately" by the disciplinary system, case closed, debt paid to society, etc. who only lasted a few weeks thereafter.  Soldiers, as a group, can be very creative in coming up with ways to make the life of someone they no longer want within their social group utterly miserable, and absolutely none of it was illegal.  Hell hath no fury like the rest of the section, pissed off....

I am just trying to figure out why this thread was started in the first place. ??? Did something happen to the little boy?

Damn it first there was the lost mail and now this!!  Man oh man the pressure on the kid must be unbearable.

govenor_mac said:
It just behooves me as to why a fellow CF member would go into another fellow CF members room, through the night while they are sleeping and steal their personal items. Yes, The items should either have not been there or else locked up but the CF is supposed to be a family. Why would they do such a thing to a fellow family member. For shame to whomever would do such a thing. Hope you get caught and PUNISHED !

Not trying to be overly picky here but for sake of clarity do you mean it baffles you or bewilders you?? Behoove is a verb that means an obligation or moral imperative...see below.

be‧hoove  /bɪˈhuv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bi-hoov] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -hooved, -hoov‧ing. (chiefly in impersonal use)

–verb (used with object) 1. to be necessary or proper for, as for moral or ethical considerations; be incumbent on: It behooves the court to weigh evidence impartially.  
2. to be worthwhile to, as for personal profit or advantage: It would behoove you to be nicer to those who could help you.  
–verb (used without object) 3. Archaic. to be needful, proper, or due: Perseverance is a quality that behooves in a scholar.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; ME behoven, OE behōfian to need (behōf behoof + -ian inf. suffix)]

—Synonyms 2. benefit, advantage, serve, better, advance; suit, befit, beseem.

GO!!! said:

WHAT??.........those were the reasons on the "good" side of the list whilst deciding back in 1980 whether I should move out or not.

Those memories of the D Bty "out to lunch bunch" live forever in me.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
WHAT??.........those were the reasons on the "good" side of the list whilst deciding back in 1980 whether I should move out or not.
not anymore. Fun has been completely outlawed in the shacks. It's demoralizing to be BOS and having to walk through the shacks these days. I feel like, well, like I'm doing YOUR job.

However, theft happened - and the guilty were not always caught - when I joined 25 years ago, so I am not convinced that the "old army" was better. I have worked in groups/lived in barracks where I trusted everyone - and some where I did not.

On my SQ few months ago, some idiot lost his damn camera and tried to blade it to everyone in the course. He told on a sergeant and the sergeant threatened to bring in the MPs.
Most of us had a nice expensive digital camera with us and we knew his was a piece of crap, so we knew that no one would take it.
Plus, this was a guy who lost his glove, and combat shirt prior to this.
Not all the time people are stealing. People might lose things and blade it on others.

Lingling said:
On my SQ few months ago, some idiot lost his damn camera and tried to blade it to everyone in the course. He told on a sergeant and the sergeant threatened to bring in the MPs.
Most of us had a nice expensive digital camera with us and we knew his was a piece of crap, so we knew that no one would take it.
Plus, this was a guy who lost his glove, and combat shirt prior to this.
Not all the time people are stealing. People might lose things and blade it on others.

Learn to spell, it is not blade but blame.

big bad john said:

Until all of the "suspects" are fallen in and questioned, and then (sadly) the blade comes into play.

big bad john said:
"blade" is a CF slang term for stabbing somone in the back. It is used as noun ("He's a blade. Watch him.") or a verb ("Did you see that? Bloggins just bladed Snuffy!")

Actually para when I first joined back in '82 there was stealing in the battalion. it was so bad that when doing laundry you had to sit on the washer and dryer or uniforms would "walk" away! One young thief was sorted out using the heavy laundry room door which "accidentally" closed on both hands. No more thieving from him.

Contrast that with my experiences in 2 Cdo where laundry was usually folded or hung up for you if you were a little late getting to it. On more than 1 occasion I put laundry in on a Friday, went to Happy Hour at the Kyrenia followed by a weekend in Ottawa at Mollys, back in Pet on Sunday and laundry was folded and hung up!

The point is that troops SHOULD by able to trust each other with their lives, and that becomes extremely hard when there is a thief in the mix. I FIRMLY believe that barracks justice is the ONLY way to deal with a POS who steals from his buddies!

that's probably why it's so shocking to me then. All my time has been in 3 RCR and 3 VP. The NCOs and Officers who taught us when we first got to 3 Chicken were all 3 Cdo, and we adapted their ways, both at work and in the shacks.

2 Cdo said:
Actually para when I first joined back in '82 there was stealing in the battalion. it was so bad that when doing laundry you had to sit on the washer and dryer or uniforms would "walk" away! One young thief was sorted out using the heavy laundry room door which "accidentally" closed on both hands. No more thieving from him.

Contrast that with my experiences in 2 Cdo where laundry was usually folded or hung up for you if you were a little late getting to it. On more than 1 occasion I put laundry in on a Friday, went to Happy Hour at the Kyrenia followed by a weekend in Ottawa at Mollys, back in Pet on Sunday and laundry was folded and hung up!

The point is that troops SHOULD by able to trust each other with their lives, and that becomes extremely hard when there is a thief in the mix. I FIRMLY believe that barracks justice is the ONLY way to deal with a POS who steals from his buddies!

I have found the same thign with the people I live in shacks with now. Mind you I am the most junior with 4 years in, and it is the staff shacks. I have on many occurances found my laundry dried and folded sitting in the laundry room waiting for me. I have also done the same in return.(I am in the Borden "MODS", so 10 people share a laundry room/common area). I have never had a problem with theft here yet. I have ended up with extra combats, which got promptly hung back in the laundry room waiting for its owner.

On my basic, we had to literally do the same thing(sitting on the washers). It got bad enough that the Course staff posted sentries because they felt that they didnt know who to trust(single laundry room shared by 6 companies)

Back