• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No more rifles on drill/grad parade?

I had a laugh at the no sling thing. I'm trying to envision climbing a jumping ladder or doing any sort of work at sea without a sling.

I'm thankful I had my sling otherwise the King would probably need a couple of new rifles since I would have definitely lost one in the Gulf of Oman without a sling.

They are also pretty handy when transitioning to pistol because of a stoppage ๐Ÿ˜„
Rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster

Rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster

I recall a soldier in training, who thought it was a good idea to put a sling on his rifle, being invited to carry it around over his head for the rest of the day by a NCO who was a veteran of various tough campaigns spanning various continents and time frames.

Lesson learned, by everyone, about an important regimental tradition related to battle readiness.

Amazingly, rifle butts were in shoulders all the time after that. ;)

I recall a soldier in training, who thought it was a good idea to put a sling on his rifle, being invited to carry it around over his head for the rest of the day by a NCO who was a veteran of various tough campaigns spanning various continents and time frames.

Lesson learned, by everyone, about an important regimental tradition related to battle readiness.

Amazingly, rifle butts were in shoulders all the time after that. ;)
You know itโ€™s not 1987 any more, you can have a sling and still shoulder your weapon.

You know itโ€™s not 1987 any more, you can have a sling and still shoulder your weapon.

You fill your boots soldier ... the Parachute Regiment and SAS will carry, on as per SOP, regardless ;)

Having said that I have seen slings attached occasionally, usually on support weapons like the GPMG and on rifles for those who operate support weapons like the 81mm etc. In Northern Ireland, in the cities, a sling was attached to the rear swivel and around the soldiers' wrist so the local Pond Life couldn't grab the rifle away during a dust up of some kind.

1687144130849.png

1687144810111.png

1687145221733.png

1687145021821.png

1687144850585.png

You fill your boots soldier ... the Parachute Regiment and SAS will carry, on as per SOP, regardless ;)

Having said that I have seen slings attached occasionally, usually on support weapons like the GPMG and on rifles for those who operate support weapons like the 81mm etc. In Northern Ireland, in the cities, a sling was attached to the rear swivel and around the soldiers' wrist so the local Pond Life couldn't grab the rifle away during a dust up of some kind.

View attachment 78233

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78238

View attachment 78237

View attachment 78236
Hereโ€™s an example from a bit more recent champ. Note the sling. What you did in Northern Ireland, is not the way things are done now.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 11
In Northern Ireland, in the cities, a sling was attached to the rear swivel and around the soldiers' wrist so the local Pond Life couldn't grab the rifle away during a dust up of some kind.
We did that for the Olympics in Montreal in '76 for our quick reaction battery because ... the other training officer for the regiment was our Brit exchange officer posted to us right after a tour in Northern Ireland.

:giggle:

We did that for the Olympics in Montreal in '76 for our quick reaction battery because ... the other training officer for the regiment was our Brit exchange officer posted to us right after a tour in Northern Ireland.

:giggle:

It's really not a bad idea. Just a real PITA if you need to cover around corners using your other shoulder ;)

I believe we're now getting into tautological arguments here. Sure, some folks are in the habit of referring to basically everything we do in a coordinated fashion as "drill". And yes, if we use that categorization, then the first drill that's done is on the parade square.

But you don't need to start with that, and you don't need to focus on it, and you don't need to keep doing it. If you want to teach people how to handle a weapon, you don't need to teach them to march around in formation first. You can just teach them weapon handling drills such as your TOETs, etc. Just because we do start with parade drill doesn't mean that we need to, nor does it mean that it's helpful. Jumping straight into the useful stuff will also do the trick. No one ever needs to know how to do a present arms in combat.

We can still categorize drill into "stuff that's actually applicable to combat" and "stuff that is ceremonial". And I thus far have still never heard a valid argument for why skipping the ceremonial stuff and going straight to the practical stuff would somehow make the prcoess worse.

Just because we've been doing something the same way forever is not a valid argument for continuing to do so. You need to actually demonstrate the value of the things we're spending time on.
Hard to argue with anything written above...

I think what it boils down to is a peacetime army vs a wartime army (although we still learned basic marching drill on BMW back in the day, did less of it once we got to our units)

Canada is currently a peacetime army, technically. Yes we have a forward element deployed to Latvia, and we are busy with new vehicles & weapons coming online soon, plus figuring out how to function when people are leaving in droves

Ukraine is a true wartime army, that truly doesn't have time to learn marching drill. They don't expect that 'maybe I'll deploy one day' - they know that as soon as they get back, they're going straight to the fight. So skiooint marching drills in favour of weapons drills, small unit tactics, etc is logical

I agree that as an institution, it wouldn't hurt for us to lay off of the marching drill a bit. Still teach it on BMW, still hold the odd parade for certain events.

Members need to look sharp & professional, and one of the ways we do that is with marching drill...but I agree, with the plethora of issues currently facing us, focusing on marching drill is doing us a disservice

Back